View Poll Results: What did you think of "John Carter"

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars - Amazing movie, everybody should see it now!!!

10 30.30%
  • 4 Stars - It was really good

13 39.39%
  • 3 Stars - It was ok, about as good as the Trailers made it look

4 12.12%
  • 2 Stars - Should have waited for Blu Ray

5 15.15%
  • 1 Star - Star Wars Episode II was better

1 3.03%
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'John Carter' 3/9/2012 (MiceChat Reviews!!!)

1st teaser one-sheet

'John Carter' concept art

Long before “Star Wars,” “Dune,” or “Avatar,” there was “John Carter of Mars” and his epic adventures on the Red Planet, which the natives call Barsoom. Next year marks the 100th anniversary of the Edgar Rice Burroughs fantasy-adventure character that deeply influenced generations of authors, filmmakers and artists, among them George Lucas and James Cameron, who found plenty to like in the stories of outsider heroes and alien princesses.

Now filmmaker Andrew Stanton (the writer-director of “Wall-E” and “Finding Nemo”) is on a quest to bring the vintage hero to a 21st century audience with the Disney live-action epic that arrives in theaters in March with stars Taylor Kitsch, Lynn Collins, Willem Dafoe, Thomas Haden Church and Mark Strong and Pulitzer Prize-winning author Michael Chabon as part of the writing team. Our Geoff Boucher caught up with Stanton to talk about the history, the hopes and the surprising Disney decision to skip Comic-Con International, which seemed like a natural stop on the project’s path to the public.

Andrew Stanton interview at:

‘John Carter’: Andrew Stanton on Martian history, Comic-Con and … Monty Python? | Hero Complex – movies, comics, fanboy fare – latimes.com

1/14/10
    http://micechat.com/forums/news/1303...rs-2012-a.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• I'm not really here

Re: 'John Carter' 3/9/2012

Word from Comingsoon.net is that the teaser will be online this Thursday!

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Senior Minion

Having been an avid Burroughs collector since the age of 14, I can't tell you how much I'm praying that this film turns out well.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Having been an avid Burroughs collector since the age of 14, I can't tell you how much I'm praying that this film turns out well.

Yeah, I hope so too. Here's the article about seeing the footage. From what they are saying and what other interviews with Stanton have said, it is incredibly respectful of the original, being directed as a very character driven film. It sounds really amazing.
    A First Look at John Carter - ComingSoon.net

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

It's going to be a very interesting winter, what with Stanton and Brad Bird both branching out into live-action (though I know this will be more of a hybrid). I've never read the stories, but if Pixar's involved, I'm ready to see what they have. Also, I'm excited to see what the trailer looks like, and how it plays before the midnight showing of Harry Potter I'm seeing.
    Check out the Mousterpiece Cinema podcast on iTunes, on Twitter, on Facebook, or on the show's blog!

• I'm not really here

John Carter - Movie Trailers - iTunes

Trailer has hit the internet officially. Looks pretty awesome.

• Bangarang!

I was a little unsure at first, but then it got going. Hopefully this will be a smash hit.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Wordsmith

I wasn't sure about this movie, until now. Pairing that footage with an excellent Peter Gabriel cover of "My Body is a Cage" by the Arcade Fire... it gave me chills.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I wasn't really interested when I heard of the project, but after seeing the trailer, I'm excited about it!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

John Carter, starring Taylor Kitsch (Friday Night Lights), follows a former Confederate captain who is mysteriously transported to Mars, and must resolve a conflict between warring nations.

Kitsch and the film’s director, Andrew Stanton, talked to The Hollywood Reporter at the D23 Expo about the pressures of living up to the much-loved series on which the film is based, the Barsoom series by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

“It’s by far the most challenging gig I’ve ever had in my life,” said Kitsch. “It’s the most rewarding as well.”

By the looks of the trailer, the film, which Disney will release on March 9, 2012, takes place in a fantastic Mars, which Stanton told THR was created by going to locations in the U.S. that has similar terrain.

“What was fun is that we wanted to make it really location based,” said Stanton, who had previously directed Pixar’s Wall-E and Finding Nemo. “So we went out to these really extreme desert locations, and you really didn’t have to imagine anything.”

“People who actually study what it would be like to colonize there actually go to certain parts of Utah, so there was a one-to-one relationship between what we were doing and what it might be like,” said Stanton.

When asked by THR if they can imagine that there is or will someday be life on another planet like in the film, both Kitsch and Stanton agreed that they think there will be.

“I, for one, welcome our alien overloards. I just want that on record.” said Stanton, looking directly into the camera.

“Me too. We’re friendly,” said Kitsch.
    'John Carter' at D23: Taylor Kitsch and Andrew Stanton Believe in Life on Another Planet (Video) - Hollywood Reporter

---------- Post added 08-21-2011 at 05:34 PM ----------

Seasoned actor Willem Dafoe has done it all, starring in more than 70 films in his career. However, his role in Disney’s John Carter presented a new challenge: how would he create the “nine foot tall Martian warrior” as he described to The Hollywood Reporter?

The answer is a combination of stilts and motion capture, the actor told THR in an excusive interview at Disney’s D23 expo.

Dafoe told THR that he had to do a lot of training for the stilt work that his role required, especially because much of the film was shot in the Southwest on difficult terrain.

"A lot of the landscapes we shot in the Southwest desserts were quite extreme,” said Dafoe.

However, the world that the production created for the film, which taked place on Mars, was a sight to see. “It was a pleasure going to work every day because the landscapes were incredible,” said Dafoe.

Dafoe’s character, Tars Tarkas, was also created with the use of motion capture, so he would have little sensors all over his body when he was acting out a scene.

THR also asked Dafoe is he feels pressure for the film to be embraced by fans of the material on which it is based, the science fiction novels by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

“Look, you always want people to like a movie, but I feel pretty confident. I think this movie’s going to be special,” he said.
    'John Carter' at D23: Willem Dafoe Describes Filming as a Nine Foot Martian (Video) - Hollywood Reporter
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• I'm not really here

Was already super excited for this... it just builds with every tidbit that comes out about it.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Updates from Andrew Stanton@andrewstanton

October 24, 2011

Picture on 'Carter is finally, officially, gloriously LOCKED! Cheers!
    http://pic.twitter.com/4es3sOz2

This past week Michael Giacchino has started recording the film's score:

Day 3 of scoring, and our composer is hungover.
    Edgar Rice Burroughs and Dejah Thoris visited the orchestra! (aka actors Daryl Sabara and Lynn Collins) A mini-reunion...with strings!

---------- Post added 11-20-2011 at 10:57 AM ----------

Disney's John Carter adaptation goes
    back to the future of film

With suited-up actors playing 12-foot Martians in locations based on Earth's natural sights, this is a triumph for old-style film-making that could make its competitors look prehistoric

With a number of 12-foot tall, four-armed talking aliens to portray, Stanton has been working to avoid the kind of wooden acting that afflicted those who worked opposite CG characters in the Star Wars prequels. Yesterday he spoke extensively about recruiting actors of the calibre of Willem Dafoe, Samantha Morton and Thomas Haden Church. They play the alien Tharks, which required all three to act in mo-cap suits, on giant green stilts, in the 110 degree heat of the Utah desert.

"I had spent most of my life imagining what it would be like to talk to these characters, and I wanted it to be instinctive," said Stanton. "I felt that if the actor was really there looking into the eyes of the other actor – the human one – you would sense it ... So we actually put the characters on stilts in motion-captured grey pyjamas with these helmets and cameras they used on Avatar pointing towards their faces. It was a very odd-looking set. You would have the actor really there, you would have these guys on stilts representing Tharks and you would have people in green gimpsuits making sure they didn't fall over and hurt themselves. Some days on the shoot I sat there and thought: 'What the hell am I doing?' But man did it pay off, and if we were to shoot another one tomorrow I would do exactly the same."

"The instincts that we were able to document, and then were able to transfer to the animators ... spoke volumes. Often it was a case of what the actors did not do. You didn't realise it was interesting just to watch somebody just stand there and not do anything. And you would never have the guts to do that as an animator. As an animator you would think, 'I'm being paid to do this', and then start overacting. You see what Willem did: Willem did nothing. He had the confidence of an actor in that role to know to do nothing, which helped keep everything grounded."

In terms of scale, John Carter is way beyond epic, and is going to require a spectacular suspension of disbelief from any audience that goes to see it. It's been almost a century since anyone sensible believed in the possibility of intelligent life on Mars, and I'm not sure anyone ever rated the concept of astral projection – by which Carter is transferred from one planet to another – as serious science. So it's hardly surprising that Stanton is going out on a limb to ensure that the inhabitants of the world he's created appear as genuine as possible.

The cities and buildings of Mars are also based on real locations in the US desert, with ornate dwelling places and crumbling alien facades superimposed on to them via CGI. John Carter has a very different – I would say more natural – look to it than the Star Wars prequels, whose use of all-CG environments saw them lose a lot of the original, Earth-filmed trilogy's vivacity and charm.

"I thought: how do we show a planet that's older than ours that's dying? So we found places on Earth and with a little bit of photoshopping we would turn them into man-made structures," said Stanton. "Your eyes are seeing more that is real than is fakery. That turned out to be a huge win."
    full article at:
    Disney's John Carter adaptation goes back to the future of film | Film | guardian.co.uk

---------- Post added 11-20-2011 at 11:06 AM ----------

Last edited by ALIASd; 11-20-2011 at 11:09 AM.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

New 'Carter trailer is complete!! Cannot wait to show it. Stay tuned...
    https://twitter.com/#!/andrewstanton

• Infinitized!

I was just looking at the IMDB page for John Carter. Didn't realize Taylor Kitsch, who plays John Carter, is from Kelowna - where I lived for the past 12 years. Kelowna has another Disney connection, the head office for Club Penguin is located there. Very interesting...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

How Motion Capture was used in "Mars Needs Moms"/"Polar Express" and other movies (don't get me started on "Avatar") has turned me off almost completely, has me concerned about how it is being used in JCM, for some main characters. There may be a glimmer of hope in that Davy Jones turned out fantastic in PofC, but the vast majority of this MoCap ends up being MoCrap.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast