• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'The Muppets' box office green

It's been a long time coming since this September 2008 article trumpeting the real return of The Muppets:

http://micechat.com/forums/news/1044...naissance.html

Disney also scored a notable Thanksgiving victory with The Muppets. The family film, produced for a modest $45 million, beat a number of competitors to gross $42 million for the Wednesday-Sunday stretch, good enough to restore luster to the iconic brand, which has been off the bigscreen for more than a decade.

However, the holiday box office was down 12 percent from Thanksgiving 2010 amid the continuing slump in moviegoing. Last year, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 grossed $75 million and Disney's Tangled opened to $68.7 million over the holiday.
    Muppetseasily did more than double the business of its competitors, although its production budget was far less. For Walt Disney Studios chairman Rich Ross, the movie was the first step in reviving the brand across all platforms, including television and consumer products.

"The entire goal was to bring back the Muppets, and this great opening signifies that we've done just that," said Dave Hollis, Disney's executive vice president of worldwide distribution.
    Box Office Report: 'Twilight: Breaking Dawn' Powers Thanksgiving, Nears $500 Mil Worldwide - The Hollywood Reporter
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Re: 'The Muppets' box office green

Here's hoping a revival of the Muppet Show is in the works. The movie proves it can happen.
    Check out the Mousterpiece Cinema podcast on iTunes, on Twitter, on Facebook, or on the show's blog!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Domestic Box Office Dec. 9-Dec. 11

Title/Weeks in Release/Studio/Theater Count/Weekend Total/Cume

4. The Muppets (3), Disney/3,328, $7.1 million, $65.8 million

Box Office Report: 'New Year's Eve' Leads Worst Weekend Since 2008 With $13.7 Million - The Hollywood Reporter
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

It would have been nice to have some Muppet plush toys in stores, or other retail merch to tie into the film given how much promotional push Disney put behind it. I have not been able to find anything other than the original sountrack

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

There are displays and quite alot of merchandise in the three Disney Stores I've visited in the past month in Glendale, Montebello and Brea here in CA. Plus the site has a page spotlighting them. I've bought a couple of the The Muppets OPI nail polish sets for gifts!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Disney Store is about the only place you could find Muppet merchandise. And what they have is somewhat limited.

As for the big box stores, I wonder if one signed on to be the non-disney exclusive carrier of Muppet Movie toys? Walmart was the only big box store to carry Lion King toys, and even that was an extremely limited variety of merchandise.

• Seasick

Toys R Us has some small, I want to call them hand puppet versions, of the major characters, as well as the Whatnot kits.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

That's good to know, as the local Wal Mart, nor the stores I saw while in Denver had anything, though I don't know where any Toys R Us exist anymore (I must be getting old)

• Banned User

I LOVED this Movie! Seen THE MUPPETS twice. Walter is such a great new addition to the muppet family.