View Poll Results: Do you like the new "Disney" movie title card?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - It's easier to remember. Walt's dead anyway.

2 4.35%
  • No - Tradition is important... especially if it's Walt

40 86.96%
  • Don't Care

4 8.70%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Disney's new "Walt" is symbolized by people like Tom Staggs, longtime CFO under Michael Eisner and current keeper of the keys to Walt's Magic Kingdoms, whom the Studio recently touted as a visionary (see the PR about Tom's vision for AvatarLand).
    First, I remember reading that Roy wanted Walt Disney World to be named as such so that everyone would always remember that the company was started by one man....Walt, it's founder and foundation. I'm not certain of the motivations behind shortening Walt Disney Pictures to "Disney", but it reduces a respected symbol of warmth and quality to one that is trendy and less warm.

While I agree that the result of the reduced moniker is to shove Walt and what he stood for aside, I doubt that this is the reason. Rather, it is more likely that empty suited meeska mooska louse-keteers consider the name Pixar streamlined along with Disney California Adventure, and are haphazzardly making a consolidated effort to modernize the entire company brand in the same fashion.

This is because noncreatives know how to subtract but not add. I wouldn't be surprized to see them reduce the Walt Disney and Pixar trademarks to "D" and "P" in the future.

Anywho, I had to kind of search for the Disney in the trailer included in the opening post.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 12-05-2011 at 03:22 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    This is because noncreatives know how to subtract but not add.
    Quote of the year!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

When all said and done, the company's foundation is the dream of Walt. Without Roy, he could not have gotten as far... or maybe he could have. The truth though is, without Walt, there would be no Disney empire.

Walt was the cartoonist. Walt wanted to do live action. Walt wanted to do television. Walt wanted to build theme parks.

The new logo is unnecessarily modified for no good reason at all.

I don't think the change will help them sell more tickets or sell more merchandise. But Walt's name would. Even as a kid I was more interested in anything that had "Walt Disney" on it.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote of the year!
    What a great and unexpected honor!

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    When all said and done, the company's foundation is the dream of Walt. Without Roy, he could not have gotten as far... or maybe he could have. The truth though is, without Walt, there would be no Disney empire.

Walt was the cartoonist. Walt wanted to do live action. Walt wanted to do television. Walt wanted to build theme parks.

I don't think the change will help them sell more tickets or sell more merchandise. But Walt's name would. Even as a kid I was more interested in anything that had "Walt Disney" on it.
    Well put, my friend. Walt's name has always been magical and endearing to me as well.

• Infinitized!

It's Walt's Birthday today. I wonder what he would say about this topic if he were still around? Happy 110th Walt.

• MiceChat Moderator

I think being that it's Walt's birthday right now and seeing that the company has taken him out of the logo... it really makes me question who's in charge right now.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    It's Walt's Birthday today. I wonder what he would say about this topic if he were still around? Happy 110th Walt.
    Happy Birthday, Walt. Your name can never be removed from our hearts.

I think being that it's Walt's birthday right now and seeing that the company has taken him out of the logo... it really makes me question who's in charge right now.
    Let's just hope it's not Lyndsay Lohan

• Minion

I have seen the muppets 3 times now and have yet to notice this
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• DLR Cast Member

There are no historically valid citations for the "Roy was ripped off" stories because they are myths...
    Alas, that simply isn't so. Walt insisted on changing the name of the company from Disney Brothers to Walt Disney Productions. Roy E. Disney had stated publicaly that his father "buckled under" it in opposition, but reluctantly went along with it. Not only was this documented by author John Taylor (who wrote about it in his book, "Storming the Magic Kingdom"), but this was also confirmed to me by two Disney legends with whom I was acquainted (one of whom I am related to). Don't get me wtong, Walt wasn't a bad guy, but he wasn't the angel sent from heaven which many people worship (which the Company has done little to discourage). Card Walker was even known for referring to Roy Jr as the "odiot nephew" for not towing the company line in the early post-Walt company.
    Again, and again, and again, there is no "logo change". What's being referred to here is the "vanity card". Since there are now more studio divisions that can be counted on one hand, several of which will be asociated with a single film, it makes sone sense to have a single vanity card. This thread is much ado abotu nothing. There has been no "logo change", no name change, or no supposed movement to drop the word "Walt" from of the TWDC companies.
    Last edited by RiversOfAmerica; 12-06-2011 at 03:29 PM.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    Again, and again, and again, there is no "logo change". What's being referred to here is the "vanity card". Since there are now more studio divisions that can be counted on one hand, several of which will be asociated with a single film, it makes sone sense to have a single vanity card. This thread is much ado abotu nothing. There has been no "logo change", no name change, or no supposed movement to drop the word "Walt" from of the TWDC companies.

Pardon me for saying "logo" when I meant vanity card. There's always been more studio divisions, departments, etc that work with the same things at the company. That's never going to change and I don't think anyone has ever been confused about it. What audiences see, however, HAS changed, and that's much ado about something.

Again, I have yet to see a GOOD reason for this change. If it's still Walt Disney Pictures creating these films, why change it now?

Your reasoning makes this vanity change seem even more absurd.

• DLR Cast Member

If it's still Walt Disney Pictures creating these films, why change it now?
    Vanity cards change all the time. Because they're just that: Vanity cards. They're strictly advertizing eye candy. They often don't have that much to do with a company's name. The company's name will be listed in the credits. BTW, the company listed in the opening credits is "Walt Disney Pictures" which is the distributor. The film was actually produced by Walt Disney Motion Pictures, the company which owns Walt Disney Pictures (they're two separate companies).

Again, much ado about nothing.

• Senior Minion

Don't get me wtong, Walt wasn't a bad guy, but he wasn't the angel sent from heaven which many people worship (which the Company has done little to discourage).
    True -- those who were there know that Walt could be one tough guy to work for. And it's totally off the point of this argument.

Card Walker was even known for referring to Roy Jr as the "odiot nephew" for not towing the company line in the early post-Walt company.
    Card was hardly the only one. If you lined up all people in the business, on the Burbank lot and off, who griped about Roy Jr. being a horse's rear end during his younger years on the lot, they would stretch from Dopey Drive to the Paramount lot. And frankly, his rep at that time wasn't undeserved.

The fact is that you're citing a Disney urban myth -- a corporate cognitive distortion that is the product of nearly three-quarters of a century of interoffice envy from Disney's ranks of non-creative employees and management, primarily in Finance and Legal.

It has exactly squat to do with Roy and Walt, and even less to do with Roy's accomplishments in the Company.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Pilot EdForceOne

Vanity cards change all the time. Because they're just that: Vanity cards. They're strictly advertizing eye candy. They often don't have that much to do with a company's name. The company's name will be listed in the credits. BTW, the company listed in the opening credits is "Walt Disney Pictures" which is the distributor. The film was actually produced by Walt Disney Motion Pictures, the company which owns Walt Disney Pictures (they're two separate companies).

Again, much ado about nothing.
    Using that logic.. let's just change the name on the front of the Park to just 'Disney' and print 'Disneyland' on the tickets. The place is still ticketed as Disneyland.. much ado about nothing really - right??

You continue to dodge what Coheteboy is pointing out.. What's the value and benefit of changing what is shown front and center to the audience?
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Using that logic.. let's just change the name on the front of the Park to just 'Disney' and print 'Disneyland' on the tickets. The place is still ticketed as Disneyland.. much ado about nothing really - right??

You continue to dodge what Coheteboy is pointing out.. What's the value and benefit of changing what is shown front and center to the audience?
    The question is asked:

Tim Tebow, now that you've successfully helped bring the Bronco's into the national playoffs, how are you going to celebrate?!

Tebow: I'm going to Disney!!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    The question is asked:

Tim Tebow, now that you've successfully helped bring the Bronco's into the national playoffs, how are you going to celebrate?!

Tebow: I'm going to Disney!!!

I cringed when I first heard that, and still ABSOLUTELY HATE that commercial!
    Same Craptastic PR work as those commercials for WDW touting DL's 50th, with Walt walking Main Street at WDW.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast