View Poll Results: Do you like the new "Disney" movie title card?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - It's easier to remember. Walt's dead anyway.

    2 4.35%
  • No - Tradition is important... especially if it's Walt

    40 86.96%
  • Don't Care

    4 8.70%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 75
  1. #31

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,384

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    Vanity cards change all the time. Because they're just that: Vanity cards. They're strictly advertizing eye candy. They often don't have that much to do with a company's name. The company's name will be listed in the credits. BTW, the company listed in the opening credits is "Walt Disney Pictures" which is the distributor. The film was actually produced by Walt Disney Motion Pictures, the company which owns Walt Disney Pictures (they're two separate companies).

    Again, much ado about nothing.

    If it really is "much ado about nothing" then why change it? And vanity cards do change all the time, but they've never changed this drastically.

    In the late 80s, the sky blue w/ white castle with "when you wish upon a star" playing was introduced. It announced to the world that this is the Walt Disney Pictures group and we are ready to play ball!

    In the early 90s, they introduced a more serious "vanity card" as you call it for the live action movies (like Rocketeer, etc) that simply stated "Walt Disney Pictures" in a serious type-face over black.

    The Vanity card changed once again with a CG opening, but it still said Walt Disney Pictures. It was to be used in front of all films under the Walt Disney Pictures banner, be it animation, pixar, or live action.



    But now... it just opens as "Disney". Again, I ask why. If the division is still to be named Walt Disney Pictures, why change it?

    That is something you still fail to answer. If you don't have the answer, that's fine.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  2. #32

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,466

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    I cringed when I first heard that, and still ABSOLUTELY HATE that commercial!
    Same Craptastic PR work as those commercials for WDW touting DL's 50th, with Walt walking Main Street at WDW.
    Poor Walt must be pounding on a cloud up and cussing up a storm up there in the heavens. Imagine that commercial stinking even more with by regurgitating the word "Disney" minus the "land" as the treandy new park name.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  3. #33

    • DLR Cast Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central OC (CA)
    Posts
    1,259

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    True -- those who were there know that Walt could be one tough guy to work for.
    Absolutely true. Walt was a hard SOB to work for albeit being a creative genius. The idea that Walt was a wonderful guy all around is a myth.
    The fact is that you're citing a Disney urban myth -- a corporate cognitive distortion that is the product of nearly three-quarters of a century of interoffice envy...
    Let me say this in no uncertain terms. What you said is absolute BS. Given the fact that the bulk of what you post is fabrication and myth, your latest post doesn't surprise me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    If it really is "much ado about nothing" then why change it?
    That's sheer circular reasoning. A change in something does not in and of itself dictate the important of the thing being changed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    If you don't have the answer, that's fine.
    My point was to address the aforementioned claim that there's a "corporate movement" to "remove Walt". That's absolutely false. I swear, every time someone in the Company so much as passes gas, someone on this board yells "conspiracy".

  4. #34

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,663

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    So RoA - your assertion is it's just some casual change no one should bother about because it doesn't actually change anything?

    This is the company BRAND and NAME RECOGNITION - they are jewels of a company that most companies dedicate huge budgets to promote and protect. Yet, you advocate it's just some willy-nilly change that doesn't mean anything? It's the pre-roll seen by every customer of the product. How is that not prominent enough to be of issue?

    I find your assertion absurd considering a company like TWDC probably has a document 15 pages long on when/how/where it's appropriate to use the company branding.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  5. #35

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,102
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    That's sheer circular reasoning. A change in something does not in and of itself dictate the important of the thing being changed.
    No it is not. This cost money and there is a reasoning that was used to justify the expense. Jim Hill claims it is small screen sizes, but technology and keeping up with the times seems to be the story he always reports on a change. It comes across as a conspiracy theory because that is exactly how the Company works. There are almost no more decisions made simply on a whim and the real reasons are more often than not kept secret.

  6. #36

    • DLR Cast Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central OC (CA)
    Posts
    1,259

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    So RoA - your assertion is it's just some casual change no one should bother about because it doesn't actually change anything?
    No, my assertion is that the aforementioned claim that there's a "corporate movement" to "remove Walt" is absolutely false.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    It comes across as a conspiracy theory because that is exactly how the Company works. There are almost no more decisions made simply on a whim and the real reasons are more often than not kept secret.
    Yet Jim Hill also says, "Look, I know that there are Disney conspiracy theorists out there who will suggest that Mouse House managers are doing this deliberately because they're eager to erase any & all traces of Walt's legacy. But if that were really what was going on here, then why would the Company be spending $150 million to turn DCA's Sunshine Plaza section into Buena Vista Street..."

    He goes on to say, "No, the real reason that the Company has clipped "Walt" and "Pictures" off of the "Walt Disney Pictures" logo has to do with all of those Droids and/or iPhones that many of us now use to watch our media on."

    I'm not so sure I buy that. Personally, I think it was just an effort to simplify the logo apperance (admittedly, I never liked the current "flying castle" vanity card. I liked the old plain blue and white card which depicted a less ornate castle, but hey, that's me). However, I deided to take Jim Hill to task, and watch Pirates 2 on my iPhone. Lo and behold, he has a point. The old vanity card is a little too detailed for my 3.5" iphone screen. I'm not sure if that truly affirms his assertion, but it certainly bolsters it. It makes even more sense if one considers the fact that Disney just inked a deal with Youtube just days ago.
    Last edited by RiversOfAmerica; 12-07-2011 at 09:09 AM.

  7. #37

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,663

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    No, my assertion is that the aforementioned claim that there's a "corporate movement" to "remove Walt" is absolutely false.
    So what happened to all these posts by you then?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    Vanity cards change all the time. Because they're just that: Vanity cards. They're strictly advertizing eye candy. They often don't have that much to do with a company's name. The company's name will be listed in the credits
    [...]
    Again, much ado about nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    Again, and again, and again, there is no "logo change". What's being referred to here is the "vanity card". Since there are now more studio divisions that can be counted on one hand, several of which will be asociated with a single film, it makes sone sense to have a single vanity card. This thread is much ado abotu nothing. There has been no "logo change", no name change, or no supposed movement to drop the word "Walt" from of the TWDC companies.
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    Anyhoo, that's all off-topic. The title card in question which says "Disney" is much ado about nothing. It's simply a generic placeholder. Complaining that is says "Disney" instead of "Walt Disney" is rather irrelevant when considering that the original name of Walt Disney Motion Pictures was actually "Buena Vista". So if any complaining shoudl be done, it's that the words "Buena Vista" don't appear
    You jumped in before any of the 'removing walt legacy' aspect with trying to play this off as insignificant with the above posts. So yes, you were making assertions that this is as you say 'much ado about nothing'

    Yet it's the very pre-roll shown in front of some of the company's biggest product, that reaches the widest audiences, in numerous media formats, for the products the company was built upon???

    It's the very conduit your customers connect to the company. How can anyone sweep such a prominent brand placement aside as irrelevant or insignificant?

    It's akin to a car company changing the badge on the car... or Disneyland changing it's sign. It's not something done on a whim without justification and signoff.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  8. #38

    • DLR Cast Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central OC (CA)
    Posts
    1,259

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    You jumped in before any of the 'removing walt legacy' aspect with trying to play this off as insignificant with the above posts. So yes, you were making assertions that this is as you say 'much ado about nothing'
    No, this was coming up on the first page, way before I started posting.

  9. #39

    • Disneyland History Lover
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chula Vista, CA
    Posts
    1,973

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Sad. It's a true shame it is coming to this. It's hard to believe, but the whole One Disney mindset and re-branding of things from Walt Disney, Walt Disney's, and Disney's to the bland, icy "Disney" is crossing the line. They're trying to cookie-cutter everything under one moniker, moving further away from their heritage in order to be more trendy and appeal to the mainstream, dumbing things down in the process.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Happy Birthday, Walt. Your name can never be removed from our hearts.
    Not ours, but we grew up with classic Disney. Walt has still been relevant enough in our time that we respect and love the man. We realize that what he did is forever invaluable to the Disney company. This change upsets and disgusts us because we appreciate Walt and all he set out to do (and accomplished). But what about in fifteen or twenty years? If the people making these decisions keep at this sort of thing, are future generations going to feel similarly? Sure, Walt will live on in the history books, but people may not share the same sentiments as we do if his name and legacy is erased little by little. If the company he founded is turning its back on him, so to will future generations.

  10. #40

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Victoria View Post
    Sad. It's a true shame it is coming to this. It's hard to believe, but the whole One Disney mindset and re-branding of things from Walt Disney, Walt Disney's, and Disney's to the bland, icy "Disney" is crossing the line. They're trying to cookie-cutter everything under one moniker, moving further away from their heritage in order to be more trendy and appeal to the mainstream, dumbing things down in the process.
    Well said.

    I don't know what's sadder, the display of corporate groupthink that Disney has devolved to, or the PR spin they're spewing to justify it.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  11. #41

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,384

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    However, I deided to take Jim Hill to task, and watch Pirates 2 on my iPhone. Lo and behold, he has a point. The old vanity card is a little too detailed for my 3.5" iphone screen. I'm not sure if that truly affirms his assertion, but it certainly bolsters it. It makes even more sense if one considers the fact that Disney just inked a deal with Youtube just days ago.


    Cluttered is the fault of the new CG castle (larger than sleeping beauty's castle) and the embossing of Walt Disney Pictures (also reduced in size compared to the previous). But yet, I turned on Princess and the Frog on my iPhone and was still able to read "Walt Disney Pictures" perfectly.

    As I've said time and again, this change was unnecessary. Simplifying the castle and background would have been money better spent.

    ---------- Post added 12-07-2011 at 05:36 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    My point was to address the aforementioned claim that there's a "corporate movement" to "remove Walt". That's absolutely false. I swear, every time someone in the Company so much as passes gas, someone on this board yells "conspiracy".

    Looks like someone sharted then because they DID remove "Walt". That's what this thread is all about. It's not a claim any longer. It's right there in front of the entire world to see. Now, I'm not saying it's a conspiracy... I'm just saying it's an idiotic move and find it in poor taste.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  12. #42

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California, United States
    Posts
    2,652

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Nothing surprises me considering they lease out the office he worked in......

  13. #43

    • DLR Cast Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central OC (CA)
    Posts
    1,259

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    Nothing surprises me considering they lease out the office he worked in......
    Is it your contention that Walt's office in Burbank should have remained a shrine or museum? If so, which office? He had two. Given the fact that Burbank is a working studion and generally not open to the public, it seems a little unnecessary. I've been in the building many times. It's a working place of business, bustling with activity. IMO, making part of it a museum would impede the workplace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Looks like someone sharted then because they DID remove "Walt".... Now, I'm not saying it's a conspiracy... I'm just saying it's an idiotic move and find it in poor taste.
    I totally respect the fact that you don't like it. I'm not arguing whether people like it or not (like I said, I like the old plain vanity card much better). What I'm arguing is multiple claims that there is a "conspiracy" to "remove Walt" from the Studio's name. That's the only thing I've been arguing. The company names remain the same. There are no plans to change them. Those company names are:

    Walt Disney Pictures and Television
    Walt Disney Animation Studios
    Walt Disney Pictures
    Touchstone Pictures
    Disneynature
    Hollywood Pictures
    DisneyToon Studios
    Pixar Animation Studios

    BTW, the only company above founded by Walt is Walt Disney Animation Studios (with his brother Roy). Walt Disney Pictures didn't exist until 1983.
    Last edited by RiversOfAmerica; 12-08-2011 at 09:49 AM.

  14. #44

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,384

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    BTW, the only company above founded by Walt is Walt Disney Animation Studios (with his brother Roy). Walt Disney Pictures didn't exist until 1983.

    Still doesn't make me like the decision any more because the company got into live action long before "Walt Disney Pictures" became official. It was still the Walt Disney Studios was it not?

    Personally, I'm never a fan when a company changes a name or logo or appearance midstream (Pepsi comes to mind).

    Walt also founded WED Enterprises, now Walt Disney Imagineering.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  15. #45

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,102
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    What I'm arguing is multiple claims that there is a "conspiracy" to "remove Walt" from the Studio's name. That's the only thing I've been arguing. The company names remain the same. There are no plans to change them. Those company names are:

    Walt Disney Pictures and Television
    Walt Disney Animation Studios
    Walt Disney Pictures
    Touchstone Pictures
    Disneynature
    Hollywood Pictures
    DisneyToon Studios
    Pixar Animation Studios
    What is the legal name of the company which operates you local fast food or gas station franchise? What about even some of the small businesses you may visit? I used to work for Hoop Retail, LLC, but to the vast majority of people that would mean nothing, to them I worked at the Disney Store. Just because the names remain means squat if that name is not used with the public. It is the exact reason why Disney has Touchstone Pictures, Hollywood Pictures and had Miramax Films. Part of the purchase of Pixar included the retention of the Pixar branding and the Pixar card before films, because the studio wanted the public to know that they are a separate branch of The Walt Disney Company, not just "Disney." Your evidence for this being a non-issue exists because this is an issue.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Walt Disney Studios Burbank The Sign of Zorro Panel
    By gbotstna in forum Community Outpost
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-25-2010, 11:39 PM
  2. C33 Visits the Walt Disney Studios and The Disney Archives
    By Club 33 in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-26-2007, 10:29 PM
  3. Singapore Disneyland?? read article"Taking the mickey out of Disney tales"
    By HongKongDisneyland in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-01-2006, 06:45 AM
  4. Ward's taking the Bus to Disney World!- WDWNews.com- 2/5/06
    By TheDisneyInquisitor in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-07-2006, 10:57 AM
  5. Universal Studios Hollywood - The Mummy's Revenge
    By MegarooFifi in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-15-2005, 09:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •