View Poll Results: Do you like the new "Disney" movie title card?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - It's easier to remember. Walt's dead anyway.

    2 4.35%
  • No - Tradition is important... especially if it's Walt

    40 86.96%
  • Don't Care

    4 8.70%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 75
  1. #46

    • DLR Cast Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central OC (CA)
    Posts
    1,259

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Your evidence for this being a non-issue exists because this is an issue.
    Yet no one so far has made any issue ofer the word "Pictures" (or Television, depending on the production) disappearing from the vanity card. In fact, no one has objected to absence of the word "Pictures" at all. That demonstrates the issue is subjective, and not objective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    It was still the Walt Disney Studios was it not?
    If memory serves me correctly, live action films were done by the parent company, Walt Disney Productions, which is now The Walt Disney Company.
    Personally, I'm never a fan when a company changes a name or logo or appearance midstream (Pepsi comes to mind).
    I'm not a fan either, but just because I don't like it, that doesn't make it evil. If that were so, brussel sprouts would be evil. Come to think of it, I think they are.

  2. #47

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,033
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    Yet no one so far has made any issue ofer the word "Pictures" (or Television, depending on the production) disappearing from the vanity card. In fact, no one has objected to absence of the word "Pictures" at all. That demonstrates the issue is subjective, and not objective.
    "Pictures" was always present in a smaller font. "Walt" however was presented in the same size as "Disney" and the "Walt Disney" logotype has plenty of recognition to have been workable, even if the issue was smaller screens. If there was a desire to retain "Walt," or "Pictures," a solution could easily have been designed, such as increasing the size of the logotype.

    ---------- Post added 12-09-2011 at 07:40 PM ----------

    Just fired up my old Palm Pre (3.1" at 320 480) and could read "Walt Disney Pictures" just fine while holding the phone at arm's length. So who is this screen size issue concerning? The handful of people that own an HP Veer? Or am I unaware of the masses of people who watch videos on the iPod classic?

  3. #48

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,358

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    "Pictures" was always present in a smaller font. "Walt" however was presented in the same size as "Disney" and the "Walt Disney" logotype has plenty of recognition to have been workable, even if the issue was smaller screens. If there was a desire to retain "Walt," or "Pictures," a solution could easily have been designed, such as increasing the size of the logotype.

    ---------- Post added 12-09-2011 at 07:40 PM ----------

    Just fired up my old Palm Pre (3.1" at 320 480) and could read "Walt Disney Pictures" just fine while holding the phone at arm's length. So who is this screen size issue concerning? The handful of people that own an HP Veer? Or am I unaware of the masses of people who watch videos on the iPod classic?




    Yah, to echo what Lazyboy said, Walt and Disney were always the same size and represented the company. "Pictures" was always secondary. They could have swapped "Pictures" back with "Productions" if they wanted and I wouldn't really care since that's what the company began as. Or they could change it to "Studios" and that would fall more closely to what Warner Bros does.

    The complete absence of "Pictures" though is more baffling as well because now it just says "Disney". is the company now that lazy that they want to use the same logo for EVERYTHING?

    I think the removal of "Pictures" is also disturbing as well and screams incompetence on a corporate level. Brand recognition is one of the most important things and they're butchering it in a way that will not earn them more trust or dollars.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  4. #49

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    So who is this screen size issue concerning? The handful of people that own an HP Veer? Or am I unaware of the masses of people who watch videos on the iPod classic?
    The only people who the "screen size issue" concern are the Disney spinmeisters who brainfarted that embarrassing excuse. Dropping Walt has squat to do with screens -- it's just the latest exhibition of Corporate Disney distancing itself from the rustic high school dropout whose fave lunch was canned chili.

    Like the cold corporate language Disney favors these days, the reasons they're giving are pure Strategic Planning groupthink -- the same sterile suit-speak you hear from Staggs, Rasulo et al.


    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I think the removal of "Pictures" is also disturbing as well and screams incompetence on a corporate level. Brand recognition is one of the most important things and they're butchering it in a way that will not earn them more trust or dollars.
    This kind of decision is about how Disney sees themselves. Disney's top brass are no closer to their audience than hawks to the moon: they experience their audience in abstractions of focus groups, box office numbers and ratings data.

    The most pathetic thing is that to Disney, this truly is a non-event. That's why you'll see Disney's PR machine (including and especially its online social media engine) revving up to spin this PR disaster as much ado about nothing. They can only smirk at the silly outrage of fans, groan at the dorky legions of worshipful "Walties," and insist that it's no big deal, that it means nothing, and that it is all for your good.

    Walt had no use for Wall Street -- and Wall Street is what the heart and soul of today's Disney Corporation has become. And they, unfortunately, have no use for him. Except when they want to market him -- as an abstraction, of course. Even for Wall Street, the hypocrisy is disgusting.

    It's something to remember when Buena Vista Street opens. When the same Disney Corporation that dumps Walt trots him out to sell to you.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 12-09-2011 at 10:36 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  5. #50

    • DLR Cast Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central OC (CA)
    Posts
    1,259

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Just fired up my old Palm Pre (3.1" at 320 480) and could read "Walt Disney Pictures" just fine while holding the phone at arm's length. So who is this screen size issue concerning?
    JHM points to Disney's recent partnership with Youtube for content, which coincided with the vanity card update. It would make sense, though atmittedly, I'm not sure how.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    It's something to remember when Buena Vista Street opens. When the same Disney Corporation that dumps Walt trots him out to sell to you.
    BS. The fact that Walt's presence is so incredibly heavy in DCA 2.0 demonstrates that the "conspiracy to remove Walt" is an absolute myth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Like the cold corporate language Disney favors these days, the reasons they're giving are pure Strategic Planning groupthink... That's why you'll see Disney's PR machine (including and especially its online social media engine) revving up to spin this PR disaster as much ado about nothing.
    Given the fact that the Company has said absolutely nothing about the topic, you're obviously making that up. Just more BS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Walt had no use for Wall Street
    Roy did.
    Last edited by RiversOfAmerica; 12-10-2011 at 08:34 AM.

  6. #51

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,641

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    BS. The fact that Walt's presence is so incredibly heavy in DCA 2.0 demonstrates that the "conspiracy to remove Walt" is an absolute myth
    You keep coming back to this - but I think it carries little value. One must look at what motivates the design. Is it 'to make the park more Walt?' or is it 'Lets copy what we know works...'. I think it's more of the latter then the former. They are basically copying Main Street the main street concept...but doing it for Cali. All the way down to the partner statue concept..
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  7. #52

    • DLR Cast Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central OC (CA)
    Posts
    1,259

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    You keep coming back to this - but I think it carries little value.
    Actually, I think that's the first time I've mentioned it directly. What I DO keep coming back to is the implications that there is a "conspiracy" or "movement" to "remove Walt" from the name of the studio. That just ain't so. Even a moderator in this thread has concurred with that.

  8. #53

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,641

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    Actually, I think that's the first time I've mentioned it directly.
    No, you brought it up in this post first - http://micechat.com/forums/movies/16...post1056671543
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    But if that were really what was going on here, then why would the Company be spending $150 million to turn DCA's Sunshine Plaza section into Buena Vista Street..."
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    What I DO keep coming back to is the implications that there is a "conspiracy" or "movement" to "remove Walt" from the name of the studio. That just ain't so. Even a moderator in this thread has concurred with that.
    Well if you review the thread - you're only really arguing with one person (Wiggins) while the rest of the posters are trying to talk about the logo, it's significance, and why it should or should not be changed now. You keep trying to beat down a point with a single poster who isn't going to change his POV no matter what you say.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  9. #54

    • DLR Cast Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central OC (CA)
    Posts
    1,259

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    No, you brought it up in this post first - http://micechat.com/forums/movies/16...post1056671543
    So I did. I sit corrected.
    Well if you review the thread - you're only really arguing with one person (Wiggins) while the rest of the posters are trying to talk about the logo, it's significance, and why it should or should not be changed now. You keep trying to beat down a point with a single poster who isn't going to change his POV no matter what you say.
    I can't argue with your observation. And honestly, that's really the only point I'm arguing. That this isn't some "conspiracy" or "movement" to remove "Walt" from the Company. And as you duly noted, there's really only one person who's overtly making that claim (Perhaps I should just learn not to feed the animals). Anyhoo, sorry if my one-topic posts are passing the point of redundant.

    Regarding the vanty card itself, I could honestly care less about it, but that's because (like I said earlier) I happen to like the old blue and white vanity card that was less busy and easier on the eyes. Unfortunately, vanity cards are a matter of fierce competition between studios (for the likes of me, I could never figure out why). Also, as noted earlier, JHM published a reasonable explanation for the vanity card text. I'm not sure I understand fully how he came to that conclusion, but, given the timing with Disney's recent partnership with Youtube, it makes some sense. I do, however, enjoy live-streaming of movies on my tiny iphone screen with regularity, so I definitely see how I'm being target as a market. Not just by Disney. but by other studios as well. Future competition in this market, imo, is going to be fierce.

  10. #55

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,033
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    BS. The fact that Walt's presence is so incredibly heavy in DCA 2.0 demonstrates that the "conspiracy to remove Walt" is an absolute myth.
    Except this not really a portrayal of Walt the man, but Walt the corporate brand. It's a muddled and distorted history that appears to have tacked on so that the land is made "Disney" by being associated with a brand.

  11. #56

    • DLR Cast Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central OC (CA)
    Posts
    1,259

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    I'd hardly call a $1.1 billion investment a "tack-on". It's a pretty in-depth retheming.

  12. #57

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,641

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    Regarding the vanty card itself, I could honestly care less about it, but that's because (like I said earlier) I happen to like the old blue and white vanity card that was less busy and easier on the eyes. Unfortunately, vanity cards are a matter of fierce competition between studios (for the likes of me, I could never figure out why).
    I liked the blue one too.. but I've had no issue with the castle+train one that replaced it. I see it as an 'updated technology..' kind of switch. It's a bit more 'grand'.

    As for what the vanity card means/why.. etc. I will say in my own personal experience, the most memorable always stand out to me as part of the movie going experience and the sight and sound of them really do bring memories/emotions.

    The 20th Century, MGM, Lucasfilm, etc.. the the lights went down, and those scenes would come up.. it's the anticipation and pulling in past memories that really set the stage. I mean, who doesn't get that movie feeling when this comes up..



    Heck, it practically gives me goose bumps!

    When the Lucasfilm part came up when the starwars movies were re-released, the people in my theater erupted into cheers and applause.

    I think the brand association can be just as powerful as the names of the actors.

    Yes, in modern films when it seems like everyone has their own production company, and everyone and their mother shows a card at the front (I'm waiting to see 'Henrys Catering' or something) it's a bit dilluted. But the powerful ones resonate.

    I still remember ones that were popular in the 80s that I still love and associate with the movie experience...





    So while even these companies move on, get assimiliated, close shop, etc... their brand still leaves a lasting impression on their audience.

    Even in these examples, you should remember evolutions these companies have done to their lead-in over the years.. some quite drastic. However you also see them keep core aspects. I'd argue 'Walt Disney' is very much a core aspect of the brand and image that the studio is associated with.

    It's like the version they did for Tron:Legacy.. it was completely bad-@$% because it was tuned to the film - yet kept the key identifies and resonated with the brand identity.



    It shows things can change and be seen as good. But one must ensure you are keeping your essential brand elements consistent and recognizable.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  13. #58

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,033
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    I'd hardly call a $1.1 billion investment a "tack-on". It's a pretty in-depth retheming.
    That is a dishonest figure. The Walt elements are a fraction of that.

  14. #59

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,358

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    To add to Flynnibus's post, we're in a hi-def, blu-ray, widescreen viewing world. Mobile screens are getting bigger not smaller. TVs at home are getting bigger. People are using iPads to watch media, less and less iPods and iPhones.

    Jim Hill's explanation, whether it's true or not, is still complete lame corporate B.S. If they came down to that reasoning, then the company has missed the entire point.


    I leave you with another great use of the Walt Disney Pictures brand that came in front of the Pixar short, Presto. Note that it even ADDS "Presents" to it to mimic the olden days. And if I'm not mistaken, the Walt signature resembles closer to Walt's style of handwriting than the usual corporate cursive. Just a tiny bit.



    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  15. #60

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,358

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Al wrote about this topic on the roundup this week. Great post:

    MiceChat Round-Up - MiceAge.com


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Walt Disney Studios Burbank The Sign of Zorro Panel
    By gbotstna in forum Community Outpost
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-25-2010, 11:39 PM
  2. C33 Visits the Walt Disney Studios and The Disney Archives
    By Club 33 in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-26-2007, 10:29 PM
  3. Singapore Disneyland?? read article"Taking the mickey out of Disney tales"
    By HongKongDisneyland in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-01-2006, 06:45 AM
  4. Ward's taking the Bus to Disney World!- WDWNews.com- 2/5/06
    By TheDisneyInquisitor in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-07-2006, 10:57 AM
  5. Universal Studios Hollywood - The Mummy's Revenge
    By MegarooFifi in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-15-2005, 09:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •