View Poll Results: Do you like the new "Disney" movie title card?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - It's easier to remember. Walt's dead anyway.

2 4.35%
  • No - Tradition is important... especially if it's Walt

40 86.96%
  • Don't Care

4 8.70%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• Infinitized!

Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Al wrote about this topic on the roundup this week. Great post:

MiceChat Round-Up - MiceAge.com
    The topic is being talked about over at the DVDizzy (Ultimate Disney) forum as well. So a lot of people out there are ticked off about it.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lutz
    What used to be "Walt Disney's Dumbo" is now simply "Disney Dumbo." Boy do those two words say a lot
    That's an Al quip I can stand behind
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lutz
    What used to be "Walt Disney's Dumbo" is now simply "Disney Dumbo." Boy do those two words say a lot.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Practically Perfect

I put in my Sleeping Beauty dvd today (I believe the October 2008 re-release around the blu ray) and during the Disney into ("There's only one Disney" that begins with Jack Sparrow's "we have our heading") I was surprised to see this:

Name:  disneynew.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  29.7 KB

Specific to that particular add, I MAY be able to overlook the atrocity, but I'm disappointed to hear it's catching on. I was surprised to realize the logo's been around for a while, and I didn't pay it much attention (maybe 'cause it's the DVD, and I just try to get to the menu asap... )
    Last edited by quasimodo1384; 01-25-2012 at 11:29 PM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by quasimodo1384 View Post
    I put in my Sleeping Beauty dvd today (I believe the October 2008 re-release around the blu ray) and during the Disney into ("There's only one Disney" that begins with Jack Sparrow's "we have our heading") I was surprised to see this:

Specific to that particular add, I MAY be able to overlook the atrocity, but I'm disappointed to here it's catching on. I was surprised to realize the logo's been around for a while, and I didn't pay it much attention (maybe 'cause it's the DVD, and I just try to get to the menu asap... )

I REALLY don't mind it when they're just announcing "hey you bought a 'DISNEY' product, congratulations". Not one bit. For me, it's just a brand of a product and you bought it.

But... in front of their films, that's where Walt's name needs to be. I watched BEAUTY AND THE BEAST 3D last week and it was just WEIRD to see "Disney" start and end the film. Thank goodness for the WALT DISNEY ANIMATION STUDIOS title card that reminded us of the man who started it all.

If the studio is still the Walt Disney Studios, this is the dumbest cosmetic change they've ever done.

Sadly, most people don't even notice.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    Except that he wasn't fine with it. He reluctantly went along with it, but wasn't fine with it at all. This and other factors caused a long-standing rift between Walt and Roy wich isn't talked about much these days. In fact, that rift was inhierited by Walts kids and Roy's kids. It didn't help when Roy O Disney instigated the move to oust Walt's Son-in-law Ron Miller from leadership. That's a pain that is still felt in the Disney family today. And then there's the whol issue with Retlaw, which Walt created in part to spihon off money from the Company for his own use and for his daughters' security. That fact is practically absent from the Disney history books today.

Anyhoo, that's all off-topic. The title card in question which says "Disney" is much ado about nothing. It's simply a generic placeholder. Complaining that is says "Disney" instead of "Walt Disney" is rather irrelevant when considering that the original name of Walt Disney Motion Pictures was actually "Buena Vista". So if any complaining shoudl be done, it's that the words "Buena Vista" don't appear.

BTW, there are in actuality several Disney companies involved in these projects, most notably, Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group, Walt Disney Pictures and Television, and the Walt Disney Studios. Having title cards for all of them is a bit redundant.
    Okay, you obviously don't seem to understand. Despite any family feud they had, Roy Disney was NOT reluctant to give his brother the majority of the credit. He didn't like the spotlight for one thing. For another, he even was hesitant to do the things that propelled the company into recognition. Roy O. Disney was against Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. He referred to it as "Disney's Folly". He was afraid they'd go bankrupt. Walt Disney is the one who said "we are doing this!" Walt made the gamble and Roy hesitantly put his faith in his brother. This of course paid off! And even further still, Walt created Mickey! So naturally, there would be no Disney Animation Studio without Walt! And besides, if Roy Disney was so reluctant to give his brother the "spotlight" as it were, he never would have PERSONALLY insisted to call Disney World "Walt Disney World". Walt and Roy were brothers, naturally the feuded, but they still loved and respected each and gave each other equal credit! Walt even said once his brother was more than the "accountant". He said his brother helped him every step of the way. Roy O. Disney is the one who wanted every to remember that this whole legacy was because of his BROTHER'S dream. Hence why it is blasphemy to take the "Walt" out of Disney!

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie O'Connell View Post
    Okay, you obviously don't seem to understand. Despite any family feud they had, Roy Disney was NOT reluctant to give his brother the majority of the credit. He didn't like the spotlight for one thing. For another, he even was hesitant to do the things that propelled the company into recognition. Roy O. Disney was against Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. He referred to it as "Disney's Folly". He was afraid they'd go bankrupt. Walt Disney is the one who said "we are doing this!" Walt made the gamble and Roy hesitantly put his faith in his brother. This of course paid off! And even further still, Walt created Mickey! So naturally, there would be no Disney Animation Studio without Walt! And besides, if Roy Disney was so reluctant to give his brother the "spotlight" as it were, he never would have PERSONALLY insisted to call Disney World "Walt Disney World". Walt and Roy were brothers, naturally the feuded, but they still loved and respected each and gave each other equal credit! Walt even said once his brother was more than the "accountant". He said his brother helped him every step of the way. Roy O. Disney is the one who wanted every to remember that this whole legacy was because of his BROTHER'S dream. Hence why it is blasphemy to take the "Walt" out of Disney!

A welcome to MiceChat from me and... great post. I agree.

• Minion

Regarding the feud between Roy and Walt, I would recommend the book Disney War by James Stewart. It summarizes the feud between Walt and Roy very well, often mentioning the current feud between the Roy and Walt sides of the family today.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by quasimodo1384 View Post

Specific to that particular add, I MAY be able to overlook the atrocity, but I'm disappointed to hear it's catching on. I was surprised to realize the logo's been around for a while, and I didn't pay it much attention (maybe 'cause it's the DVD, and I just try to get to the menu asap... )
    Yep 2008 DVD/Blu ray on "Sleeping Beauty" is right!

I'm of two thoughts on this issue. On one hand, I desperately want the WALT Disney Company to stop distancing themselves from their past and what made them what they are in the first place. On the other hand, Walt's company may already be dead. The current company is more of some modern off-shoot then anything. Think about it, do we really want Walt's name on something like Prom?

My attitude is, current heads of the company are as far away as they can be from Walt's company. That is their prerogative so long as they hold that power. It's sad, it's tragic, I may even one day stop watching new films and shows from the studio completely. They are very much on the path to become like every other studio, which is sad. However, I say we as a Walt Disney fan base ban together while we can and get Disney to release as much of the old stuff as we can on DVD while it is still possible. At least while modern Disney keeps trying to be the new MTV, we old fans can enjoy the classic stuff. One day, I would not be surprised if Disney fully locks up it's vintage titles completely (sans animated films most likely) and we never see them again barring some of it entering the public domain.

Not that I was wanting to make a plug here, but that is why I started Open Vault Disney. It is a last stand for Disney fans to ring out ever last bit of classic Disney goodness that we can before it is too late.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________
    SAVE THE DISNEY AFTERNOON! SAVE THE DISNEY TREASURES! Join Open Vault Disney!

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by milojthatch View Post
    I'm of two thoughts on this issue. On one hand, I desperately want the WALT Disney Company to stop distancing themselves from their past and what made them what they are in the first place. On the other hand, Walt's company may already be dead. The current company is more of some modern off-shoot then anything. Think about it, do we really want Walt's name on something like Prom?

My attitude is, current heads of the company are as far away as they can be from Walt's company. That is their prerogative so long as they hold that power. It's sad, it's tragic, I may even one day stop watching new films and shows from the studio completely. They are very much on the path to become like every other studio, which is sad. However, I say we as a Walt Disney fan base ban together while we can and get Disney to release as much of the old stuff as we can on DVD while it is still possible. At least while modern Disney keeps trying to be the new MTV, we old fans can enjoy the classic stuff. One day, I would not be surprised if Disney fully locks up it's vintage titles completely (sans animated films most likely) and we never see them again barring some of it entering the public domain.

Not that I was wanting to make a plug here, but that is why I started Open Vault Disney. It is a last stand for Disney fans to ring out ever last bit of classic Disney goodness that we can before it is too late.

I think you raise some fair points, especially in the case of the more "disney channel" type faire. PROM is a hip, edgy, movie aimed at teenagers who... might feel that the "Walt Disney" name is for kids. But I feel that it's always been that way. It's always been a FAMILY label because Walt made films that everyone could enjoy together.

The direction of the film studio has been more centered on tweens and also the older teens lately. Pirates of the Caribbean films would never have been placed on the "Walt Disney Studios" banner in the past because of its violent and sexual content (watch At World's End and when you get to Will Turner kissing Elizabeth's leg... yah... not exactly "Disney"). They even dropped the title card from the opening of "Curse of the Black Pearl" to distance the film with Walt Disney. But it made boatloads of money and the subsequent films opened with the Walt Disney Studios banner.

So here's where it gets tricky. The Walt Disney name has a lot of value. Touchstone and Hollywood Pictures were created for the more adult fare. Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas was originally released under the Touchstone banner but due to its popularity, they wanted to associate it with "Disney" and you'll find that on later DVD and Blu-Ray releases, it opens with the Walt Disney Pictures banner.

Dick Tracy originally was advertised as a Walt Disney Pictures film but opened under Touchstone.

The list goes on. I think the fact that the company has Touchstone is great. They just need to know when to use it. A movie like PROM probably could have done fine under Touchstone.

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I think you raise some fair points, especially in the case of the more "disney channel" type faire. PROM is a hip, edgy, movie aimed at teenagers who... might feel that the "Walt Disney" name is for kids. But I feel that it's always been that way. It's always been a FAMILY label because Walt made films that everyone could enjoy together.

The direction of the film studio has been more centered on tweens and also the older teens lately. Pirates of the Caribbean films would never have been placed on the "Walt Disney Studios" banner in the past because of its violent and sexual content (watch At World's End and when you get to Will Turner kissing Elizabeth's leg... yah... not exactly "Disney"). They even dropped the title card from the opening of "Curse of the Black Pearl" to distance the film with Walt Disney. But it made boatloads of money and the subsequent films opened with the Walt Disney Studios banner.

So here's where it gets tricky. The Walt Disney name has a lot of value. Touchstone and Hollywood Pictures were created for the more adult fare. Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas was originally released under the Touchstone banner but due to its popularity, they wanted to associate it with "Disney" and you'll find that on later DVD and Blu-Ray releases, it opens with the Walt Disney Pictures banner.

Dick Tracy originally was advertised as a Walt Disney Pictures film but opened under Touchstone.

The list goes on. I think the fact that the company has Touchstone is great. They just need to know when to use it. A movie like PROM probably could have done fine under Touchstone.
    Touchstone has been on my mind a lot lately. I've been dealing with in my campaign efforts for various films from the late 70's/ early 80's that were the films that lead to Touchtone being created in the first place (or more fairly, they have come up), and of course there is the news that Disney is thinking about selling the unit off.

I've also been thinking about how un-Disney their various cable networks are looking (and not just Disney Channel), and their purchase of Marvel Comics. Now I need to stop right there a moment before I go into my rant. I'm actually a HUGE fan of Marvel Comics. Spider-Man is if not my flat out favorite fictional character, easily in the top five, and I love Hulk, Iron Man, the X-Men, Fantastic Four and so on, and actually think Disney owning Marvel is not necessarily a bad thing if done right.

However, I'm getting the feeling the "Disney" name will be on this Summer's "Avengers" and future Marvel films (which I think is a huge mistake if it is the case for both brands), and if Disney does end up selling Touchstone, I worry that Disney is heading in the direction of leaving behind it's "family studio" image and going in the direction of being just another Hollywood studio. I would not be surprised if this continues if we don't start seeing "R" rated films under the Disney name. Now I could be wrong (and hope I am), but when you think about things going on right now and how a decade ago the idea of a "PG-13" film with the "Disney" name on it seemed far-fetched (now it seem more common practice), it may not seem too un-likely after all.

If that is the case, do we really want Walt's name on any of that? In my view, I'd rather Bob Iger and his team stop what they are doing and get back to "family" entertainment and not so much "teen" entertainment. I'd like to see more hand drawn films with the current mandate of CG. I'd like to see more animated shorts from Disney animation. I'd like to see Mickey star is new films and shows and actually matter once again. I'd like to see more of the "Walt-era" shows and films get released on DVD and Blu-ray and be shown on tv again. I'd like to see better quality DVD and Blu-ray release then we've seen the last few years. I'd like to see Disney go back to "G" and "PG" films ad leave high rated fare to Touchstone. That for starters. But, being as it seems very clear Mr. Iger is not interested, which again is his choice as head of the company, maybe letting "Walt's" name go is the best course? It does make you wonder!
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________
    SAVE THE DISNEY AFTERNOON! SAVE THE DISNEY TREASURES! Join Open Vault Disney!

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by milojthatch View Post
    Touchstone has been on my mind a lot lately. I've been dealing with in my campaign efforts for various films from the late 70's/ early 80's that were the films that lead to Touchtone being created in the first place (or more fairly, they have come up), and of course there is the news that Disney is thinking about selling the unit off.

I've also been thinking about how un-Disney their various cable networks are looking (and not just Disney Channel), and their purchase of Marvel Comics. Now I need to stop right there a moment before I go into my rant. I'm actually a HUGE fan of Marvel Comics. Spider-Man is if not my flat out favorite fictional character, easily in the top five, and I love Hulk, Iron Man, the X-Men, Fantastic Four and so on, and actually think Disney owning Marvel is not necessarily a bad thing if done right.

However, I'm getting the feeling the "Disney" name will be on this Summer's "Avengers" and future Marvel films (which I think is a huge mistake if it is the case for both brands), and if Disney does end up selling Touchstone, I worry that Disney is heading in the direction of leaving behind it's "family studio" image and going in the direction of being just another Hollywood studio. I would not be surprised if this continues if we don't start seeing "R" rated films under the Disney name. Now I could be wrong (and hope I am), but when you think about things going on right now and how a decade ago the idea of a "PG-13" film with the "Disney" name on it seemed far-fetched (now it seem more common practice), it may not seem too un-likely after all.

If that is the case, do we really want Walt's name on any of that? In my view, I'd rather Bob Iger and his team stop what they are doing and get back to "family" entertainment and not so much "teen" entertainment. I'd like to see more hand drawn films with the current mandate of CG. I'd like to see more animated shorts from Disney animation. I'd like to see Mickey star is new films and shows and actually matter once again. I'd like to see more of the "Walt-era" shows and films get released on DVD and Blu-ray and be shown on tv again. I'd like to see better quality DVD and Blu-ray release then we've seen the last few years. I'd like to see Disney go back to "G" and "PG" films ad leave high rated fare to Touchstone. That for starters. But, being as it seems very clear Mr. Iger is not interested, which again is his choice as head of the company, maybe letting "Walt's" name go is the best course? It does make you wonder!

I think the key important thing we need to focus on is that the Walt Disney name meant "quality". What we're seeing on the Cable Networks... are they really quality? Disney Channel isn't even real "Disney" anymore. It's the "Disney Channel". Much like MTV or VH1 is. It's just a channel.

The heart of this corporate entity has always been Walt Disney Pictures, be it Live Action or Animation. The Rocketeer is one of the greatest comic book movies brought to life and it exists on the Walt Disney banner. It's also rated PG though and was solid family entertainment.

The Marvel movies... well, they can't possibly be as violent or grotesque as the Pirates movies can they? And so far, all of the Avengers marketing I've seen only shows the Paramount logo. Nothing of Disney's.

I think slapping "Disney" in front of these movies cheapens it. We'll no longer be able to differentiate something that's Disney Channel quality or not. It'll all be cut of the same corporate brand.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Wow.. the quotes from Werner's article on the WDF Museum really hit the mark here.

From Mrs Disney...

My father has one of the most well-known names around the world, but as the Disney ‘brand’ has grown, the man has become lost
    And changes like this one discussed in this thread just further that momentum.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat Moderator

It really is a shame. A damn shame.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345