View Poll Results: Do you like the new "Disney" movie title card?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - It's easier to remember. Walt's dead anyway.

    2 4.35%
  • No - Tradition is important... especially if it's Walt

    40 86.96%
  • Don't Care

    4 8.70%
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 75
  1. #1

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,402

    Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    If you've seen THE MUPPETS and the latest John Carter trailer, you, may know what I'm talking about and I'm truly saddened and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

    For years, Walt Disney's name was attached to all the movies from the Walt Disney Company.

    We used to have this opening that I still miss...



    And then evolved into this...





    But it has evolved once again. "Walt" and "Pictures" is completely eliminated. It's just "Disney". It disturbs me as much as "Disney Parks" does. Maybe even more so.

    See an example in the John Carter trailer (choose the 2 minute trailer): http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/disney/johncarter/


    What do you guys think? Am I the only one who feels this way?


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  2. #2

    • Infinitized!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Posts
    5,929

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    What do you guys think? Am I the only one who feels this way?
    Nope. I'm in the same boat.

  3. #3

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,667

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    This is a miserable decision IMO. It does strike at what is the very core identity of the company and a very bad choice for what gain?

    JHM's article infers its to 'save space' or make it more readable for other formats. BS I say!

    A very bad choice that really doesn't have upside. Bad Bad bad move
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  4. #4

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,402

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    I agree. The reasoning is so faulty it's not even funny. To prove a point, I just started Princess and the Frog on my iPhone and you know what? Walt Disney Pictures was pretty easy to read! This is blasphemous.

    What about Walt Disney Animation Studios? Are they going to take Walt out of that too? And Walt Disney Imagineering? And Walt Disney World?

    I'm so angry.



    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  5. #5

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Disgusting, but not surprising. Really, all that the Company is doing here is formalizing the anti-Walt 'tude that Eisner & Co. brought to Burbank in '85. From that year forward, Disney's top management has cynically used Walt as a brand and sold him as an icon, while privately dismissing his creative and management values as hopelessly bourgeois, backward and silly.

    For a quarter century, smirking at the mention of Walt has been in-house code for upward mobility. They publicly laud Walt as the founder, while rolling their eyes at those who value Walt's philosophy of showmanship, creativity, originality and giving the public more than they're paying for.

    These guys weren't called the Paramount Mafia for nothing, folks. And if you think their "we're better than Walt and you'd damn well better not forget it" groupthink left with Eisner, you're flat wrong.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  6. #6

    • keh!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,970

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    it flat out SUCKS. Walt Disney Pictures is classic and SHOULD remain as the opening logo to their films. by only having Disney, the quality seems to be less, as if it were to be a straight to DVD movie. like when i saw the logo for Disney Planes. the movie itself looks like garbage, but Disney makes it feel even cheaper. it has more class with Walt. big mistake on corporate's part.

  7. #7

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,667

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    when people think JL should be compared to Walt.. or is some second coming or something.. all you need to do is point to crap like this. The guy should be the most influential creative person in the organization.. and he doesn't have enough clout with Iger to put a stop to the other movie division from doing this?? I find that hard to believe.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  8. #8

    • Beach Expert
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after
    Posts
    10,680

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Disgusting, but not surprising. Really, all that the Company is doing here is formalizing the anti-Walt 'tude that Eisner & Co. brought to Burbank in '85. From that year forward, Disney's top management has cynically used Walt as a brand and sold him as an icon, while privately dismissing his creative and management values as hopelessly bourgeois, backward and silly.

    For a quarter century, smirking at the mention of Walt has been in-house code for upward mobility. They publicly laud Walt as the founder, while rolling their eyes at those who value Walt's philosophy of showmanship, creativity, originality and giving the public more than they're paying for.

    These guys weren't called the Paramount Mafia for nothing, folks. And if you think their "we're better than Walt and you'd damn well better not forget it" groupthink left with Eisner, you're flat wrong.
    It's not just Walt. I recently watched the documentary The Boys, which for those who don't know is a biography of the Sherman Brothers. In one scene towards the end of the movie Alan Menken is interviewed on when he started working at the studios in the late 80s and early 90s. The Sherman Brothers still had an office in the studios, and music could be heard coming from their office. Menken was amazed that they still had an office there - after all they must have had some influence on his creativity. But someone at the studio said to Menken something to the effect of "Those are te Sherman Brothers. Never mind them", referring to them as some anachronistic relic still lingering around the studio that can and should be easily discarded.

    He wasn't told to disregard Walt, but in this case he might as well had.

  9. #9

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    22,687

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    This is WAY worse than the "Disney Parks" as the actual name of the parks have stayed the same. Disney Parks is MUCH easier to ignore than this.

    I think I let out an audible groan when I saw that prior to Muppets.


  10. #10

    • DLR Cast Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central OC (CA)
    Posts
    1,259

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    This is blasphemous.
    I'm fine with it, but for a completely different reason. The original companies were "Disney", not "Walt Disney", since the company was founded by both Walt and Roy. It was later on that Walt made a move to rename the company "Walt Disney Productions". IMO, this is an affront to Roy's contributions and legacy. In fact, Roy is at this point practically absent from the Disney Legacy. If anything is blasphemous, it's this. Personally, I think the Company and the Family need to stop elevating Walt to the level of deity, and restore the presence of Roy to the Disney Legacy.

  11. #11

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,667

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    IMO, this is an affront to Roy's contributions and legacy. In fact, Roy is at this point practically absent from the Disney Legacy. If anything is blasphemous, it's this. Personally, I think the Company and the Family need to stop elevating Walt to the level of deity, and restore the presence of Roy to the Disney Legacy.
    Except - you ignore Roy was fine with 'Walt Disney..' instead of just Disney when he was alive and very much part of the decision. Roy had what.. 40+ years to complain about it and didn't? And Roy was the one who made the point to rename the Florida project to WALT Disney World.

    I think it's fair to say, you're making something out of an issue that simply didn't exist for the man himself.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  12. #12

    • DLR Cast Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central OC (CA)
    Posts
    1,259

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Except - you ignore Roy was fine with 'Walt Disney..' instead of just Disney when he was alive and very much part of the decision. Roy had what.. 40+ years to complain about it and didn't?
    Except that he wasn't fine with it. He reluctantly went along with it, but wasn't fine with it at all. This and other factors caused a long-standing rift between Walt and Roy wich isn't talked about much these days. In fact, that rift was inhierited by Walts kids and Roy's kids. It didn't help when Roy O Disney instigated the move to oust Walt's Son-in-law Ron Miller from leadership. That's a pain that is still felt in the Disney family today. And then there's the whol issue with Retlaw, which Walt created in part to spihon off money from the Company for his own use and for his daughters' security. That fact is practically absent from the Disney history books today.


    Anyhoo, that's all off-topic. The title card in question which says "Disney" is much ado about nothing. It's simply a generic placeholder. Complaining that is says "Disney" instead of "Walt Disney" is rather irrelevant when considering that the original name of Walt Disney Motion Pictures was actually "Buena Vista". So if any complaining shoudl be done, it's that the words "Buena Vista" don't appear.

    BTW, there are in actuality several Disney companies involved in these projects, most notably, Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group, Walt Disney Pictures and Television, and the Walt Disney Studios. Having title cards for all of them is a bit redundant.

  13. #13

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Splash Mountain
    Posts
    7,963
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Anyone have new logo? I just seems like it will ook.....weird not to have Walt at the start and at least I have over 10 Blue Rays that have the good logo on it....Walt forever

  14. #14

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,667

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    Except that he wasn't fine with it. He reluctantly went along with it, but wasn't fine with it at all. This and other factors caused a long-standing rift between Walt and Roy wich isn't talked about much these days.
    A cite to back this assertion? Since you obviously didn't know the people - there must be some research you have backing this?

    While the guys had their spats and fights, none that I've read about were about Roy not getting equal billing with Walt. Walt certainly had an ego about his name and brand, but Roy seemed content to let Walt be the lightning rod and adamantly supported him and his image all the way through both their deaths.

    Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    In fact, that rift was inhierited by Walts kids and Roy's kids. It didn't help when Roy O Disney instigated the move to oust Walt's Son-in-law Ron Miller from leadership. That's a pain that is still felt in the Disney family today. And then there's the whol issue with Retlaw, which Walt created in part to spihon off money from the Company for his own use and for his daughters' security. That fact is practically absent from the Disney history books today.
    As I recall from my reading Retlaw's origins were after Walt had to give up more of the company and control due to the revolving bank loan pressures and to keep him the sole man in charge of his 'pet' projects. Yes there was some ownership grab there, and yes there was lots Walt 'negotiated' with the parent company that were.. a bit one-side... (like the rights to his name and likeness) setup to ensure his family was remain comfortable. The contracts between these companies were not the same as one might find between independents, but much was also setup in the time when Disney's efforts were still unproven... and he held most of the cards.

    Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    Anyhoo, that's all off-topic. The title card in question which says "Disney" is much ado about nothing. It's simply a generic placeholder. Complaining that is says "Disney" instead of "Walt Disney" is rather irrelevant when considering that the original name of Walt Disney Motion Pictures was actually "Buena Vista". So if any complaining shoudl be done, it's that the words "Buena Vista" don't appear.
    Buena Vista was the distribution company they setup - it did not take place of the Studio's identity. Later Buena Vista moved into being a production company as well. But it's origins were to have Disney control their distribution, rather then relying on the likes of RKO, WB, Columbia, etc.

    Buena Vista did not replace the Walt Disney brand, it was advertised just like most pictures are... production companies.. distributor... director.. producers.. etc.

    Here we are seeing a rebranding of the Studio identity. It would be like them dumping 'Walt Disney' to simply release EVERYTHING as Touchstone, etc. They are altering the brand - not simply messing with pre-roll credits.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  15. #15

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: Walt Disney Studios taking the "Walt" out of Disney. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Here we are seeing a rebranding of the Studio identity. It would be like them dumping 'Walt Disney' to simply release EVERYTHING as Touchstone, etc. They are altering the brand - not simply messing with pre-roll credits.
    Bingo.

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    A cite to back this assertion?
    There are no historically valid citations for the "Roy was ripped off" stories because they are myths. Their genesis goes back to the 1930s -- the jealousy of the Studio's behind the scenes beancounters ("Roy's boys") for its front-stage artistes ("Walt's boys") was a tradition at artist-dominated Disney, especially after the phenomenal success of Snow White. The jealousy was fueled by the media's love affair with the handsome, photogenic Walt of the 30s, and inflamed by the publicity that the "Disneyland" and "Wonderful World of Color" TV shows gave Walt and his legendary artists. But it was not a jealousy that Roy had for Walt -- they had been in the trenches together since childhood and were far above that, no matter how much they fought as family.

    The myths mushroomed after the arrival of the Paramount Mafia (a.k.a. Eisner & Co.), and the ascendancy of money men (Walt's detested "sharp pencil boys") to echelons of Disney management long occupied by artists and filmmakers. Symbolically, "Roy's boys" took over and "Walt's boys" became wrists-for-hire. Today, a quarter century later, the "Roy was ripped off" legend is a common Burbank mythology which, like historical myths everywhere, serves to affirm the (rewritten) cultural history of the conquerors.

    Speaking of mythmaking, Disney's new "Walt" is symbolized by people like Tom Staggs, longtime CFO under Michael Eisner and current keeper of the keys to Walt's Magic Kingdoms, who the Studio recently touted as a visionary (see the PR about Tom's vision for AvatarLand).
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 12-04-2011 at 10:09 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Walt Disney Studios Burbank The Sign of Zorro Panel
    By gbotstna in forum Community Outpost
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-25-2010, 11:39 PM
  2. C33 Visits the Walt Disney Studios and The Disney Archives
    By Club 33 in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-26-2007, 10:29 PM
  3. Singapore Disneyland?? read article"Taking the mickey out of Disney tales"
    By HongKongDisneyland in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-01-2006, 06:45 AM
  4. Ward's taking the Bus to Disney World!- WDWNews.com- 2/5/06
    By TheDisneyInquisitor in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-07-2006, 10:57 AM
  5. Universal Studios Hollywood - The Mummy's Revenge
    By MegarooFifi in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-15-2005, 09:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •