Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Maleficent' live-action feature

Things have changed since the 1/19/2010 news on a live-action 'Maleficent' film,

http://micechat.com/forums/movies/13...d-threads.html

Burton is currently at Warner Bros. reportedly trying to lure Robert Downey Jr. into his live-action 'Pinocchio' film to play Geppetto:

The studio has tapped Robert Stromberg, the production designer behind the billion-dollar grossing Avatar and Disney’s Alice in Wonderland, to direct Maleficent, the company’s live-action take on Sleeping Beauty. The project, which tells the fairy tale from the point of view of the evil witch who threatened to kill the princess, is being crafted with Angelina Jolie in mind, although the actress is not officially committed.

Tim Burton was loosely attached to direct Maleficent, written by Linda Woolverton and produced by Joe Roth, but he backed away last May; the studio had been trying to find their prince since.

UTA-repped Stromberg, who has won two Oscars for his work, has shown the studio his capabilities not only on Alice but on also on the studio’s upcoming tentpole, Oz: The Great and Powerful, directed by Sam Raimi.
    Disney Sets Directors for 'Maleficent,' Mountain Adventure Movie - Hollywood Reporter
    Last edited by ALIASd; 01-06-2012 at 09:45 PM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

I am a serious maleficent enthusiast. And the thought of angelina jolie playing her is so horrible that I don't even know if I will be able to watch it. I'm so upset.

Also side note as a huge Tim Burton fan, I hope he stays away from this project. If AJ were gone I'd be more interested in him.jumping on board.

Sorry end rant

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Re: 'Maleficent' live-action feature

The Oscar winner has finally taken a stance on playing "the Mistress of all Evil":
    Berlin 2012:
    Disney's 'Maleficent' Will Be
    Angelina Jolie's Next Starring Role

The actress has long been keen on playing the role of the sorceress
    from the Sleeping Beauty fairy tale.

BERLIN -- Disney's Maleficent will be Angelina Jolie's next movie.

Jolie, speaking at a crowded news conference Saturday at the Berlin International Film Festival, where her feature directorial debut In the Land of Blood and Honey is screening out of competition, brought up the project -- without directly mentioning a title -- when asked about the next step in her career."I haven't acted in two years, and I haven't done anything else since this [Land of Blood and Honey]. The next thing I am looking at is a Disney movie," said the actress.

Jolie also had been eyeing a Luc Besson movie that had been set to start production in April, but that project appears to be off the table, insiders say. In an interview with THR in December, she suggested she probably couldn't do both, since Maleficent could get under way by the end of this year or early next year.

Maleficent has gained momentum in recent weeks with Robert Stromberg brought on as director. Stromberg was the production designer on Avatar, Alice in Wonderland and Disney's upcoming Oz the Great and Powerful.Jolie has long been toying with the idea of playing the famous sorceress in the Sleeping Beauty fairy tale.

In the December interview with THR, she also revealed her children want her to make the movie and even call her "mom-elicent." She's also eager to make a live-action family film after her experience voicing the Kung Fu Panda franchise.
    "The best thing to find that balance is to do something that is just for children," Jolie said Saturday. "You know, you find different ways to make things matter. When, for example, you do fun action movies, they are empowering for my daughters."

Jolie told THR in December that she adores screenwriter Linda Woolverton's revisionist take on the fairy tale and the complex relationship between Maleficent and Sleeping Beauty.
    Berlin 2012: Disney's 'Maleficent' Will Be Angelina Jolie's Next Starring Role - The Hollywood Reporter
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Deadline Hollywood reporting that actress Elle Fanning ('Super 8', 'Somewhere') is in talks to play Princess Aurora.

---------- Post added 03-08-2012 at 06:36 PM ----------

Filming begins this June according to The Hollywood Reporter.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Disney has etched a March 14, 2014, date for Maleficent, its retelling of the Sleeping Beauty fairy tale that will star Angelina Jolie.

By penciling it for March, the studio is hoping the movie will channel some of the box-office charm of Alice in Wonderland, Disney’s retelling of the Lewis Carroll classic that starred Johnny Depp and grossed more than $1 billion worldwide after opening in March 2010.

The other movies slated to open March 14, 2014, are DreamWorks Animation’s Mr. Peabody and Sherman, based on the Hanna-Barbera characters. Invertigo, a Sony sci-fi thriller to be directed by D.J. Caruso and written byEhren Kruger, opens a week earlier.

According to the studio, “the live-action film explores the origins of the evil fairy Maleficent and what led her to curse Princess Aurora in Disney’s animated classic Sleeping Beauty.”

Robert Stromberg, the Oscar-winning production designer behind Avatar and Alice, is making his directorial debut on the movie, which is being produced by Joe Roth.
    Angelina Jolie's 'Maleficent' Gets a Release Date - Hollywood Reporter

DreamWorks Animation’s Mr. Peabody and Sherman, based on the Hanna-Barbera characters.
    *facepalm*

Jay Ward. Not Hanna-Barbera. Jay Ward.

As for Maleficent... I want to give a movie about my favourite Disney character from my favourite fairy tale the benefit of the doubt, but it's such a transparent rip-off of Wicked, has a director that hasn't been consistently good for almost 20 years now, and a lead actress that is kind of annoying for no particular reason I can put my finger on. I'll try to keep an open mind but this does not bode well...

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Gross View Post
    has a director that hasn't been consistently good for almost 20 years now, and a lead actress that is kind of annoying for no particular reason I can put my finger on. I'll try to keep an open mind but this does not bode well...

This is the director's feature film debut starring arguably the biggest international female star in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    This is the director's feature film debut starring arguably the biggest international female star in the world.
    Oh, I thought Tim Burton was directing in. So one less strike against it then!

• Circle of Ancients

SO not a fan of Angelina Jolie. That said, I hope this is good.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

The cast is getting more and more impressive with two veterans of the 'Harry Potter' franchise recently signed on:

Miranda Richardson, Imelda Staunton and Sharlto Copley ('District 9') as Stefan, a half-human half-fairy illegitimate son of the human king, join the previously announced Elle Fanning as Aurora and Oscar-winner Angelina Jolie as the title character.

Richardson will play Queen Ulla, a Fairy Aunt of Maleficent with a dislike for her niece.

Staunton and Lesley Manville play Knotgrass and Flittle, two of the three pixies that take care of Aurora, rather than the storie's original fairies. Kenneth Cranham plays a human kIng who plots take over the fairy kingdom. Actor Sam Riley will play Diaval, a raven who changes into human form and is Maleficent's right hand.

• Minion

They're seriously bailing from Flora, Fauna and Merryweather? What's the point then?
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Minion

ORGOCH: Flo, Faun an' Scaryweather's all too danged old ta be in movies! Don't ya know? They's all in nursin' homes by now with one foot in the grave! Heck! They was almost too old ta be in the FIRST version a Snoozin' Floozie!!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

The first released publicity still for the film:

• Pirates Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    The first released publicity still for the film:
    Hmmm, that looks like a pretty cool and pretty interesting take on the character Maleficent, that Angelina Jolie is going to play in the upcoming 2014 movie "Maleficent". I hope Disney decides to release more of a front view of Angelina Jolie's face as the character Maleficent ! .
    Captain Jack Sparrow: Marina!.....Please Don't!

• Making my own Mousekteers

This is my favorite Disney cartoon and she is my favorite villain and everything about this makes me feel physically ill. I usually don't mind Angelina Jolie but not a Maleficent. This horrible. I don't understand why Disney is making this and the Oz movie but letting Universal snake Wicked which is the only one of the three of them that looks remotely good. Blech.

I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast