Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Re: Song of the South

Howdy Pards,

Take a look at the above post...anyone know the truth?

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan

Howdy Pards,

Well, should we assume he did until somebody tells us he didn't...or should we assume he didn't till somebody tells us he did?

Wild Ol' Dan

---------- Post added 04-18-2012 at 12:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Ol' Dan View Post
    Howdy Pards,

Well, should we assume he did until somebody tells us he didn't...or should we assume he didn't till somebody tells us he did?

Wild Ol' Dan
    Howdy Pards,

Well, since no one seems to really know, one way or the other...I guess we are going to have to assume that he did not. The many posts on Google saying that he did receive the award in 2010 may well be just "wishful thinking". Anyways, the Official Disney Web-site has no indication that Mr. Baskett received this recognition...yet.

Let's hope that he does in the not too distant future...

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 04-18-2012 at 09:20 AM.

Howdy Pards,

Did I ever tell you folks about the big, beautiful old Southern Oak trees down here in N'Olins? Did I ever tell ya about that big Ol' Nachez Riverboat out thar on the Mississippi? Or the food around these parts?

Truth is, I lived most of my life way, way up north...course, there are some folks around these parts who say anything north of I-10 is too far north, mind you. But, my gosh, I've met some wonderful folks around these parts. Downright wonderful folks.

Yessir, a feller could get used to bein' "Down South." Which, may just be one of the reasons I love the movie Song of the South...it celebrates the place, the folklore, and the people of the South.

I reckon I went through most of my life without tastin' fried alligator, red beans and rice, and fried pickles. I'll never forget the first time I tried roasted corn grits...and buttered sweet tators... Food is whatcha might call an adventure around these parts...

But, it's the people, kind, warm, friendly people... that's what you kinda admire. Oh, don't get me wrong...they got other kinds too around these parts...but...I've watched folks face the challenges of Huricane Katrina with courage and determination and a stubborn commitment that "this is our home...we ain't goin' anywheres..." They've rebuilt...and life is goin' on...the future is lookin' better all the time...folks are carin' for one another...

Now you can find good people almost anywheres I suppose... but, I believe the South has more than their fair share. The South is a place worth celebratin'...a place that understands the words family...and faith...and love...and courage...

Now, Song of the South takes place over thar in Georgia of course...after the Civil War...and they were tough times...a time for rebuildin'...the challenges were many. But most folks faced them with courage, doing their best...movin' forward.

Not everybody carried, or carries, hatred in their hearts...some carry kindness, caring, concern, warmth...some would give ya a helpin' hand no matter what...I've seen that down in these parts again and again...and it speaks well for a people...

So...watch Song of the South again...listen to those stories...savor the kindness...the wisdom...the caring lessons that they teach... Walt Disney saw somethin' mighty special in those Uncle Remus tales...and felt the magic of cottonwoods in blossom over the cabin door... It's time to re-release Song of the South once again...to put it on Blu-ray...for all of us to see and savor and enjoy and celebrate.

Did I mention those Pecan Candy Eggs? My refrigerator is full of 'em...boy oh boy are they good...

Wild Ol' Dan

Re: Song Of the South

Howdy Pards,

I suppose it's no secret that a feller from N'Olins would most likely love the new Disney movie THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG. I particularly like Mama Odie's song...YOU GOTTA DIG A LITTLE DEEPER but, the truth is I like the whole movie. Why? Well it's set down here in the South...right here in N'Olins...
    and it's about dreams comin' true and such... in the finest Disney tradition.

Let's see, I got it right here next to me...on the cover it says... "Enter Princess Tiana's world of talking frogs, singing alligators, and lovesick fireflies as she embarks on an incredible journey through the mystical bayous of Louisiana. Spurred on by a little bit of courage and a great big dream, these new friends come to realize what's truly important in life...love, family, and friendship."

Now, did ya notice anything similar to SONG OF THE SOUTH in that? Enter Uncle Remus's world of talkin' critters like Brer Rabbit, Brer Fox, Brer Bear, and Brer Frog and get ready for fun. When Johnny meets up with Uncle Remus...he learns lessons about courage, and laughin', and so much more...and he comes to realize what's truly important in life...love, family, and friendship."

Twernt nuthin' wrong with The Princess and The Frog...and taint nuthin' wrong with Song of the South either. They are both "Overflowing with humor and heart, they are both incredible motion picture experiences your whole family will want to enjoy again and again!"

It's time to bring Song of the South into the sunshine once again for all the world to enjoy.

Wild Ol' Dan

Howdy Pards,

Johnny: "I WISH I HAD A LAUGHIN' PLACE."

Ginny: "ME TOO."

Uncle Remus: "WHAT MAKES YOU THINK YOU AIN'T? CO'SE YOU GOT A LAUGHIN' PLACE."

Johnny: "REALLY, UNCLE REMUS?"

Ginny: "REALLY?"

Remus: "EV'YBODY'S GOT ONE! THE TROUBLE IS, MOS' FOLKS WON'T TAKE TIME TO GO LOOK FOR IT."

Wild Ol' Dan

"Give me your hand, Honey...I need young eyes in the dark."

Howdy Pards,

It seems that Johnny was always puttin' his hand in Uncle Remus's hand... To my way of thinkin', we all need young eyes in the dark.

Wild Ol' Dan

Howdy Pards,

Did you know that Walt Disney used to refer to his backyard barn and the miniature railroad, the Carolwood Pacific he called it, that went around his house as his "Laughin' Place?"

Yep. He surely did. Twas the early 1950's when Walt began reshapin' his backyard into a railroad...

Later, of course, Walt refered to WED, the place where he was developin' plans for Disneyland, as his laughin' place...

Then...in July of 1955...well, he built the whole world a laughin' place called Disneyland. And, he made sure those wonderful ol' fashioned Steam Trains completely circled his "Magic Kingdom."

They say that Walt delighted in gettin' away from Burbank for a while, headin' down to the park, and playin' Engineer on those trains of his... Yep. A whole lotta folks took the grand circle tour without knowin' there was a mighty famous Engineer up there in that cab...

Wild Ol' Dan

Howdy Pards,

Well, there is no denyin' that there are a good many plantations down here in the South that are haunted. It seems some horrible, mean, tragic things happened on some of these plantations...there is no denying that...

But are ALL the plantations haunted? No. Did horrible things happen at ALL of the plantations? No.
    Oh...of course slavery was wrong...and it needed to come to an end. That was one of the saddest chapters in American history. But, does that mean that every plantation owner was cruel? No...no...it doesn't. And that's the hardest thing for some of us "northerners" to understand. Turns out some folks down here in the South are downright nice folks...they've always been downright nice folks...and they learned that from their parents and their grandparents...generation after generation...

Turns out good people have always been around...North and South...East and West. People of all colors.

The Civil War has been over now for...well...let's see...1865...this is 2012...that's, my gosh, 147 years this month.

This country has a black President now...times have changed... hard lessons have been learned... a great deal of progress has been made.

Should we be offended by our history? No. Nor should we deny that it happened, exactly the way it happened. No. Out of the conflicts, the mistakes, of our past have grown a stronger country...a great country...

Most all of us have figured out by now that we are all in this together...the color of our skin ain't got nuthin' to do with it. We are ALL Americans. And we gotta stop thinkin in ways that divide us, and start thinkin' in ways that don't.

Now...Joel Chandler Harris saw that back in the late 1800's...and Walt Disney saw that back in the 1900's... Both sought to celebrate the wisdom, the spirit, the joy of those old stories passed down from one generation to the next...through some mighty challenging times in our country's history.

The stories of Uncle Remus are set in the years after the Civil War...a time of reconstruction...

History happened...and we can still learn important lessons from history. Lessons that speak to our
    character...our strengths...and our weaknesses. Lessons that help us move forward in a more positive and productive way.

The time has come for all of us to recognize the strength and wisdom of those who came before us...
    rich and poor...of all colors and creeds...all walks of life. Storytellers like Uncle Remus shared simple truths that helped us meet some mighty tough challenges...that lifted our spirits... We wondered how Brer Rabbit was ever gonna get out of the mess he was in...but, somehow, he nearly always did...maybe with a shorter tail than he once had...but he was also a wiser rabbit...

It's time to hold out our hand...just like Johnny did...we all need young eyes in the dark. Let's keep movin' forward...

It's time to release Song of the South...it's time to celebrate those old lessons...it's time to move forward...

Wild Ol' Dan

Howdy Pards,

Well, after some rather extensive research into the matter I've discovered somethin'... The reason that black ladies like Aunt Tempe, (Hattie McDaniel) were often portrayed as bein' good cooks is because...they are good cooks.

You just can't live in New Orleans for long without figurin' that out.

I don't know about you folks but bein' a good cook is surely a skill that I respect. Yep. Always have...and I can understand Uncle Remus gatherin' up some firewood and visitin' Aunt Tempe on bakin' day...

If I was there...I'd be bringin' some firewood in myself...for a slice of one of Aunt Tempe's pies.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 04-28-2012 at 09:05 AM.

Howdy Pards,

Well, now, any of us who have visited Epcot at Walt Disney World are probably more than familiar with the American Adventure pavilion. A feller named Ben Franklin and another feller named Mark Twain are the hosts for that show. Both great, well-loved, respected Americans to be sure.

I wonder how Mark Twain would feel about the Walt Disney Studios hidin' Song of the South away...locking it up in a dark vault somewhere? He wasn't particularly famous for his support of
    censorship in his lifetime don't ya know? But he did love books...and he used to delight in reading those books of Joel Chandler Harris...those tales of Uncle Remus...to his children.

In fact he introduced his children to Mr. Harris in person once...and recalled the occasion in his Auto-biography:

"He was the bashfulest grown person I have ever met. When there were people about he stayed silent, and seemed to suffer until they were gone. But he was lovely, nevertheless; for the sweetness and benignity of the immortal Remus looked out from his eyes, and the graces and sincerities of his character shone in his face."

Given the fact that Mark Twain was a big fan of "the immortal Remus" and Joel Chandler Harris, I'm not exactly sure that he would agree with Mr. Iger's current political opinions about Song of the South. Nope, the truth is, I think Mark Twain would be very much opposed to them...very much in favor of folks hearin' those old tales once again.

I've always kinda liked Mark Twain...admired him, you might say. Walt did too. Why shucks he even named a Steamboat after him...and since that day back in 1955 when it first started carryin' folks down the Rivers of America, the ol' Mark Twain riverboat has carried more guests than any other steamboat in history.

It's time Mr. Iger studied up some on one of Walt Disney's heroes from his days back there in Missouri...it's time to listen to the wisdom of one of the truly great Americans...Samuel Langhorne Clemens hisself...better known to most folks for the name he took while workin' on the river...Mark Twain.

Yessir...turns out he was quite a fan of "the immortal Remus"...

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 04-27-2012 at 03:11 PM.

Howdy Pards,

Well there was another feller…kinda famous feller you might say…that thought Joel Chandler Harris’ works were downright special. So much so, in fact, that he invited him to The White House.

Who was that famous feller? Well…his name was President Theodore Roosevelt. Yep, the one up there on Mount Rushmore, don’t ya know?

What did he have to say about Uncle Remus?

Well, here’s what he said, “Presidents may come and presidents may go, but Uncle Remus stays put. Georgia has done a great many things for the Union, but she has never done more than when she gave Mr. Joel Chandler Harris to American literature.”

It sure seems to me that President Teddy Roosevelt kinda enjoyed those tales of Uncle Remus, too. Yessir, it surely does…

Wild Ol’ Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 04-27-2012 at 03:16 PM.

Howdy Pards,

Did I ever tell ya about that time, back in 1882 it was, you know, that time that Mark Twain invited Joel Chandler Harris to a meeting down here in New Orleans?

Well it was Mark Twain’s idea, you see, to put together a series of lectures…or “platform readings” you might say…around the country. He wanted Mr. Harris to join him because “Twain had been so impressed by Harris’ dialect-writing skills”...his tales of Uncle Remus…

Well, the only problem was that Mr. Harris had a stammer in his voice…and he was always kinda shy about that…so he turned down the offer. But, as we’ve said, Mr. Twain always admired Joel Chandler Harris’ work…and he took some of that on the road with him as he traveled around the country.

Now, if there is one thing that is pretty well known it’s that…Mark Twain had a particular skill, a talent, with tellin’ stories. And the story of Brer Rabbit meetin’ up with that tar baby was “always one of his most popular stage-readings.”

Now, you may not know this, but it was in the year 1888 that both Joel Chandler Harris and Mark Twain were named “charter members” of the American Folklore Society…

Seems these wonderful tales of Uncle Remus were appreciated by a great many folks…those tales that Joel had first heard from his black friends down there on the Turnwold Plantation…well they became famous…beloved you might say…way beyond that humble cabin...

Turns out that Walt Disney, a mighty fine storyteller himself, was a fan of both Mark Twain, Joel Chandler Harris, and Uncle Remus…and it’s time for Song of the South to be celebrated once again for what it is…a
    kind, warm hearted, joy-filled celebration of some old, old tales and the folks who told ‘em…

Yep, Mr. Iger has somethin’ downright wonderful locked up in that vault of his…and it’s time to fix that…way, way past time really…

Wild Ol’ Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 04-28-2012 at 09:08 AM.

Howdy Pards,

Would you be curious to know exactly what Walt Disney, himself, thought about Song of the South? Here are his words as they appeared in the official 1946 program for the film:

“Out of the past of every nation has come its folklore: Simple tales handed down from generation to generation and made immortal by such names as Aesop, The Brothers Grimm, and Hans Christian Anderson.

But no folk tales are better loved than Joel Chandler Harris’s “Uncle Remus” – stories in which the southern negros brought the warmth of their humble firesides into the hearts of people everywhere.

And if, now, in “Song of the South” we have succeeded in a measure to help perpetuate a priceless literary treasure – my co-workers and I shall, indeed, be very happy.”

It sounds to me like Walt was more than a little proud of Song of the South…and his intentions were as he said, “to help perpetuate a priceless literary treasure.”

The time has come for Mr. Iger to take those locks and chains off this film…and release it once again for all the world to see and celebrate. The only thing Mr. Iger has to fear…is fear itself. Song of the South is a wonderful film celebrating the legacy of some wonderful people…people who, through these stories, kept hope alive…while sharing the importance of love, family, and friendship… Walt saw that when he was CEO of the company…it’s about time for Mr. Iger to figure it out too.

Wild Ol’ Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 04-27-2012 at 03:51 PM.

Howdy Pards,

Offensive? Portraying Black people to be people of faith? Portraying Black people after the Civil War to be hard working, kind, wise? Portraying Black people as singing songs of faith, hope, love, and joy? Portraying an elderly black man as someone who could be looked up to, loved, respected and admired by…well… everyone?

Ebony magazine looked at all the criticisms that were being made against Song of the South and, uh, that magazine pulled no punches in their response to those criticisms….Ebony thought those criticisms to be
    “unadulterated hogwash symptomatic of the unfortunate racial neurosis that seems to be gripping so many of our humorless brethren these days.”

Rather direct? Yep. True? Yep.

“Song of the South” is a film to be celebrated, loved, and enjoyed no matter what your race. It’s a celebration of the art of storytelling…a celebration of kindness…a celebration of simple truths…a celebration of wisdom.

In the year 2012…Song of the South is a celebration of life…

Those who imagine themselves “offended” by this gentle, warm, happy film…find nothing wrong with the images found on newscasts every night…gang violence, drug abuse, murder, rape. They find nothing wrong or offensive about those Comedy Central comedians using every four letter word ever invented. They find
    nothing offensive about the images, the language, the crime portrayed in modern crime movies…

But, my gosh, show Hatie McDaniel singing while baking a pie…and they come unglued!

Bottom line: I think Ebony magazine hit the nail square on the head… the criticisms of Song of the South
    are really nothing more than “unadulterated hogwash symptomatic of the unfortunate racial neurosis that seems to be gripping so many of our humorless brethren these days.”

It’s time for the Walt Disney Company to unlock those locks and chains…to bring this wonderful film into the sunlight once again…by re-releasing it in theaters, on DVD and Blu-ray. Walt Disney knew exactly what he was doing when he made this film… There is nothing to apologize about, but plenty to celebrate in this movie… Let the celebration begin.

Wild Ol’ Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 04-22-2012 at 07:35 AM.

• Closed Account

I think it's mainly the tar baby joke that keeps it unreleased. It's an unadulterated racial epitaph. Should it still be released? Yes. Should white people talk about the movie as portraying black people in positive terms to make them feel better about Disney? No.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast