Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Exclamation Song Of the South

just found this great website with lots of info
    good read if you are interested in the movie
    they also offer ways to participate in bringing the movie back !

Song of the South.net - Dedicated to This Walt Disney Classic

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Re: Song Of the South

I am also a fan of Google.com.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I can only hope it comes out on Blueray...love the animated parts of the film

• Banned User

I've ran into this SotS site before. Really good stuff on there! I own Song of the South...on a bootleg dvd, I DON'T under stand WHY ON EARTH Disney hasn't released this!! (at least for us hard core D-fans!)

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,
    Those who cannot learn positive things from the Tales of Uncle Remus just ain't got their ears tuned to learnin'. It is impossible for me to understand how a wise, gentle, kind hero like Uncle Remus can be thought of as anything but wise, gentle, and kind. No...no...Song of the South is a celebration of life...a celebration of the wisdom found in those timeless tales...the timeless lessons of life. It is time, of course, for The Walt Disney Company to listen to it's biggest fans...it's most loyal fans...it's true fans...and bring back this wonderful story on Blu-ray and DVD. Don't try to convince us that this story is, in any way, racist...I watched the thing again yesterday and found it just as wonderful as I remembered it... It is truly a Zip-a-dee-do-dah experience to be sure...and I came away again with a great deal of respect for the gentle hero of this film... Does that make me insensitive to the feelings of
    some people? Well, I reckon it does...people who can't learn the wonderful lessons in this film just ain't got their ears tuned for listenin'...and that ain't no excuse for hidin' the thing from those of us who do.
    History happened. Taint no use denyin' it. And out of that history came knowledge and wisdom and strength... The tales of Uncle Remus helped Ginny and Johnny through some mighty tough things...and things turned out mighty satisfactual in the end. Tis time to take the lock and chain off that film and let the world experiece the stories of Uncle Remus once again. Politics should have nuthin' to do with it...
    truth should...and that's what Uncle Remus's stories are all about. As I said, I saw this film just yesterday...and I loved it just as much as I did mor'n a half century ago... Maybe it's cause I didn't come from the rich side of the tracks myself...and yet we smiled...we enjoyed a good story...and we had our ears tuned for listenin'... Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail. Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 04-09-2012 at 06:38 PM.

I too am a big fan of song of the south. But in this way too over politically correct world we live in, i dont see it ever coming about. So people will have to buy the bootleg copies like me and others on here or buy the edited ones on ebay. Its a sad fact.

Howdy Pards,

Well...never is a long, long time. Lots of folks love Song of the South...more all the time I suppose...once they actually see it. When I was younger I used to think that the kids were...well, just too young...too cute...too sweet. But, as I grew older I kinda liked the idea of goin' frog huntin'...of lookin' up in wonder at that clock when it chimed, and of ridin' those stick horses to get there faster...
    and I knew the pain Ginny felt when her brothers pushed her into the mud ruinin' her "brand new" dress that her mom had made from her wedding dress. And, most of all, I grew to love that ol' cabin...the fireplace and the rockin' chair...the sweet potatoes Uncle Remus was packin' for their powerful long walk to Atlanta. Walt loved those things too. In fact, I've seen a picture of a special chair on that outdoor set...a chair with the words Uncle Walt on the back of it. Walt knew there was something wonderful in both the person and the stories of Uncle Remus... That's why Walt made Song of the South...not for some imagined racist reason...but for exactly the opposite reason...because his ears were tuned to hearin' the wisdom of those stories...the simple truths...the beauty to be found in the "Old South"...with Cottonwoods in Blossum. Walt...maybe because of fond memories from Marceline, Missouri years and years before...knew the magic of being young...both the trials and the triumphs...and he always knew the power of storytelling... Walt was a storyteller himself...so he, no doubt, admired the tales of Uncle
    Remus and the way James Baskett told them. In short, I believe Walt Disney put his heart and soul into this project...and it shows. This here film is, in truth, mighty satisfactual! And, I believe, the folks who are holdin' it back now will, indeed, come to their senses one day soon...and look for the positive things,
    the wonderful things, the joyful things that Walt Disney was celebrating with this story...not some
    imagined slight or evil purpose... Good will win out in the end...one day soon the Walt Disney Company will proudly release this magical celebration of the art of the storyteller...this zip-a-dee-do-dah film that
    has remained in the hearts and minds of generations. It got in the hearts and minds of those generations, by the way, the old fashioned way...it earned it! A whole lotta folks are wishin' on a star that Song of the South will be released...and, well, you know what they say happens when you wish upon a star... Dreams really do come true. Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.
    Wild Ol' Dan

I think Disney has done a disservice to the controversy by not releasing Song of the South. Because people have not been able to see it for themselves (without knowing people or paying for bootlegs on Ebay), its infamy has grown to levels disproportionate to its actual content.

However, I also want to give credit to the people who object to its portrayals of African-Americans. The problem with Song of the South is not that it is especially racist - it's actually rather positive so far as that goes - but that it is a Disney film. It takes a difficult time in American history and presents it as a happy, song-and-dance number.

*shrug* I have my own copy, and I would like to see it released officially, but at the same time I am not in a position to tell African-Americans that they shouldn't be offended by something, and because it is controversial I can see why Disney wouldn't want to release it on DVD.

Howdy Pards,

I have always admired the strength and wisdom found in people who simply decide that they prefer to be happy... People who, inspite of the challenges of life, sing songs of faith, hope, love, and joy.

To my way of thinkin'...Uncle Remus had more wisdom, more common sense, than most folks in this old world... Now, through storytelling...an ancient and time-honored art...he helped folks through tough
    situations, gave them the strength to face the challenges of life, and to do it with a smile.

He wasn't carryin' around a sign sayin' "Life's not fair"...he was helpin' folks face the challenges of life with simple truths. It's called wisdom.

And...we need to understand that these stories that Uncle Remus told...work for our time as much as they did way back then.

Far from portraying folks in a negative way...I believe Song of the South portrays people in a very positive way...

Some folks need to get beyond this idea of political correctness and truly listen to this story. And, they need to stop denying the fact that history happened. It did. And, to get through those challenging times...folks sang hymns of hope and love and joy...stories were told...love and kindness were shared in the face of all the challenges of life. My gosh, we can and should learn from that...be proud of that...see the strength and wisdom of it.

Uncle Remus is one of my heroes...one of the folks I look up to...respect...love. Because he set a positive example of how to live life...and when I hear those old songs of faith and hope and love and joy that came out of those challenging times in American History...I'm inspired.

Those who see negative things in Song of the South just ain't got their ears tuned for listenin'...

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 04-08-2012 at 10:22 AM.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Gross View Post
    I think Disney has done a disservice to the controversy by not releasing Song of the South. Because people have not been able to see it for themselves (without knowing people or paying for bootlegs on Ebay), its infamy has grown to levels disproportionate to its actual content.

However, I also want to give credit to the people who object to its portrayals of African-Americans. The problem with Song of the South is not that it is especially racist - it's actually rather positive so far as that goes - but that it is a Disney film. It takes a difficult time in American history and presents it as a happy, song-and-dance number.

*shrug* I have my own copy, and I would like to see it released officially, but at the same time I am not in a position to tell African-Americans that they shouldn't be offended by something, and because it is controversial I can see why Disney wouldn't want to release it on DVD.
    I would think if there really is a widespread disagreement with the film, that some of that would translate to issues with the continued use of Zip-A-Dee-Do-Dah and Splash Mountain. The 1986 theatrical rerelease was also supposedly successful enough to influence giving Splash Mountain the green light.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I would think if there really is a widespread disagreement with the film, that some of that would translate to issues with the continued use of Zip-A-Dee-Do-Dah and Splash Mountain. The 1986 theatrical rerelease was also supposedly successful enough to influence giving Splash Mountain the green light.
    The problem with Song of the South isn't the animated sequences with Br'er Rabbit and co. Though some have noted that "tar baby" is actually a racist slur, Disney seems quite content with letting clips of the animated sequences sneak through on bonus features from old Disneyland TV programs. Honestly, I'm not even sure why they haven't just released a DVD of only the animated sequences.

Nevertheless, the problem is with how the human characters are portrayed. That is inconsequential to the ride or the songs.

My understanding is that Splash Mountain was already in development before Song of the South's rerelease in 1986. The main problems it was set to address were making a major new attraction in Bear Country and what to do with the old America Sings animatronics. The 1986 rerelease was partially meant to raise some excitement for the ride as well as celebrate the film's 40th anniversary. However, that same rerelease became the touchstone of controversy that ultimately caused Disney never to rerelease it to theatres or home video again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Gross View Post
    The problem with Song of the South isn't the animated sequences with Br'er Rabbit and co. Though some have noted that "tar baby" is actually a racist slur, Disney seems quite content with letting clips of the animated sequences sneak through on bonus features from old Disneyland TV programs. Honestly, I'm not even sure why they haven't just released a DVD of only the animated sequences.

Nevertheless, the problem is with how the human characters are portrayed. That is inconsequential to the ride or the songs.

My understanding is that Splash Mountain was already in development before Song of the South's rerelease in 1986. The main problems it was set to address were making a major new attraction in Bear Country and what to do with the old America Sings animatronics. The 1986 rerelease was partially meant to raise some excitement for the ride as well as celebrate the film's 40th anniversary. However, that same rerelease became the touchstone of controversy that ultimately caused Disney never to rerelease it to theatres or home video again.
    Howdy Pards,

Well, let me see if I can address some of this stuff, one point at a time. First, taint no problem with either the live action or animated sequences...any problem really is with folks who are readin' stuff into the story that just ain't there. Do you really think that Walt Disney sat in a room with a bunch of his animators and said lets make fun of Uncle Remus and black folks? Of course he didn't...what they were doin' was CELEBRATIN' those things...those wonderful things...like wisdom, and warmth, and courage, and kindness, and faith!

As for black people working on a plantation in the South after the Civil War...they did. History happened and folks just gotta stop denyin' it. They worked hard...went through many challenges...and they met those challenges with faith and hope and love and songs and stories and, some chose to be happy in life...to celebrate the good things. These are not weaknesses...they are strengths...they speak well of a people...

Folks need to watch the film... I'd say that Johnny's Mother and Father are the ones who had the most to learn about life...Johnny's Grandmother and Uncle Remus kinda teamed up to teach 'em too. Is it possible for a little white boy to learn from a kind, gentle, wise old black man? Of course it is. Color don't make no difference...none whatsoever. Walt knew that...Walt Disney respected the storytelling...the wisdom...the warmth of Uncle Remus's stories...that's what he was celebrating in Song of the South! And he respected Jim Baskett too...the man who got a special oscar for this role!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Song of the South...only things imagined to be wrong, by people who just ain't got their ears tuned for listenin'...

No...there were no black executives, no black presidents, back then...but there were good people, wise people, people of faith...who knew the secrets of being happy no matter what challenge they might face. "You can't run away from trouble, there ain't no place that far."

As for the dialect...it was, and is, a real dialect...the form of a spoken language peculiar to a region, social group, etc. And, though it may not have been the way other folks talked...when you listen to it...you begin to love it...respect it...understand it.

Yes, the 1940's when this film was made were different times, and yes, we have all come a long ways since then. But, that don't mean we ain't got farther to travel down this here trail... we gotta get to the point where we can look back with love and celebrate the beautiful things, the strengths, the wisdom, the faith of those who came before us. Yes, there are bad things in this ol' world...but, folks, Song of the South and the tales of Uncle Remus just ain't one of 'em...

I have hope, I have faith, that Song of the South will, indeed, be released again when we come to our senses...to that point along the trail where we can once again understand the truths Uncle Remus was sharin'...there ain't nuthin' to be ashamed of here...except that this wonderful film has been kept in locks and chains...that rumors of horrible things have been allowed to grow...because some feller in a business suit somewheres was afraid...of his own political misunderstandings of what Song of the South is truly all about.

A gentle, kind, wise old black man named Uncle Remus is one of my heroes...and, well, just tain't right that other folks ain't got their ears tuned to listenin'...and those "other folks" are truly holdin' the key to those locks and chains...

There is hope. I believe if enough of us keep wishin'...keep workin' to let folks know the truth about Walt Disney's wonderful film Song of the South...that one day soon, it WILL return ...and when it does...well... that thar will be one of them zip-a-dee-do-dah days for sure!

Yep...there is hope.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 04-09-2012 at 09:26 AM.

I'm a big fan of Song of the South, the animated parts more than the live action sequences.

Even though the film was not released on DVD in the U.S., many members of my family own a copy just because my Great Great Uncle on my mother's side was Allie Wrubel. He wrote the music to "Zip a Dee Doo Dah, which he won an Oscar for.
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

Quote Originally Posted by QueenBee View Post
    just found this great website with lots of info
    good read if you are interested in the movie
    they also offer ways to participate in bringing the movie back !

Song of the South.net - Dedicated to This Walt Disney Classic
    Howdy QueenBee,

Well, I stumbled onto that site quite a while back and I sure agree with ya. A whole lotta love went into it. Thanks for startin' this here thread...maybe if folks head on over to that site and start messin' 'round they will understand the love some of us have for the Movie. The more people who do the better our chances that someday soon that movie will be released all bright and shinny and new on DVD for all the world to, once again, celebrate and enjoy.

Wild Ol' Dan

Howdy Pards,

So, getting back to Song of the South, probably the most joyous parts were the songs...of course.

But, it was also interesting watching Uncle Remus in action. His story about everbody havin' a laughin' place...for instance...was clearly designed to lift the spirits of both Johnny and Ginny. And it did.

The only trouble was that Johnny's Mom had proclaimed that Uncle Remus was never to tell Johnny stories again...ever. And, without knowing the situation, the why he told them the story,,,well she just exploded.

And, truthfully, that was the part that just frustrated the heck out of me.

It seemed that Johnny's Mom was readin' just about everything all wrong...and that led to Uncle Remus startin' to leave for Atlanta...feelin' like he was just a worn out, frustrated old man.

When I was young...when I first saw this film...I hated that lady...Johnny's Mom. Makin' that boy wear that collar when he wanted to go "frog huntin'"...just not understanding the wisdom Uncle Remus had been sharin' with Johnny...tellin' him he was not to tell Johnny stories any more. All of which led to Uncle Remus leavin' for Atlanta...or starting to... And it led to Johnny runnin' across that pasture tryin' to catch him...

So, I'm curious, did Johnny's Mom frustrate anybody else the way she frustrated me? She was a prim and proper Southern lady, of course, without a hair out of place...and without a clue of the importance of a thing called frog huntin'...

She was trying to do what she thought was right, I suppose, but she was a city lady from Atlanta way out there in "frog huntin'" country...and she sure didn't understand the importance of little puppy dogs either...

I think, her misunderstanding things led to us lovin' Uncle Remus all the more...he understood little boys like Johnny...yep, he surely did...and little puppy dogs too.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 04-11-2012 at 07:44 AM.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast