31 31.96%
  • I DO NOT have a desire to see this film

30 30.93%
  • I have never heard of this film before today

11 11.34%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: John Carter Positioned To Be Biggest Flop Of All Time?

Proud of me?

@AndrewStanton: @coheteboy: Want to see John Carter because I love your work. The marketing of this movie though..Just doesn't feel like its you” / Oh, it's me. Trust me.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• DLR Cast Member

I'm mildly concerned, but most of that concern has to do with the fact that the "John Carter of Mars" franchise has never been a huge breakout. It's only had niche followings. I suspect the movie will do fine, and will make a nice profit, but it won't be a blockbuster hit a la Pirates of the Carribean.

• Timelord

I can't believe they would blame Dick Cook. Losing him was the biggest mistake they ever made.

In regards to the biggest flop, I think that belongs to Mars Needs Mom's. (Stop making movies about Mars...)

I wonder if the choice to drop the "Mars" part from "John Carter of Mars" was due to how bad Mom's flopped.

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by isny View Post
    I can't believe they would blame Dick Cook.
    He's not being "blamed", but it's a fact that it was during his tenure that the concept was developed. That said, I'm not convinced it was neccessary to being that fact up in an interview. Of course, the source is an "unnamed" Disney source, which kinda leaves the "blame" thing suspect.
    Losing him was the biggest mistake they ever made.
    I gotta repectfully disagree. Dick Cook had some nice hits, but he had a serious string of failures. Whether we like it or not, the nature of the movie industry is that you're defined by your failures much more than your successes. That's not a Disney thing, it's a movie industry thing.
    I wonder if the choice to drop the "Mars" part from "John Carter of Mars" was due to how bad Mom's flopped.
    No, Andrew Stanton removed "of Mars" so it would appeal to a broader audience. He did this as early as 2008, so the failure of "Moms" wasn't related.
    Last edited by RiversOfAmerica; 02-18-2012 at 10:21 AM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Sure Dick Cook had some misfires, it was mostly the purchase of IMAGEMOVERS that really scarred him. Robert Zemeckis' digital company gave them Jim Carey version of A Christmas Carol and the awful Mars Needs Moms.... and the proposed Yellow Submarine and probably others. These weren't cheap movies to make and closing of the company was even more money down the drain.

But he also gave us The Pirates of the Caribbean franchise and TRON LEGACY, which... while it wasn't the hit they wanted it to be, I'm personally happy that it was made and they did profit from it. Not a lot but... it wasn't a "loss".

And I don't know why they would blame him for John Carter. They got Andrew Stanton to do it. If I were to trust anyone with this project, it would be him.

I guess we'll just have to see. I intend on supporting this film opening weekend with a few others.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    ... and TRON LEGACY, which... while it wasn't the hit they wanted it to be, I'm personally happy that it was made and they did profit from it. Not a lot but... it wasn't a "loss"...
    I never understood why a lot of Disneyfiles consider Tron Legacy a poor performer. While it's true they were hoping for more, the fact is that it had a $170 million budget and made $400 million. That's not bad by any stretch.

I think one of Cook's failures was what happenned with the Narnia franchise. The second film (Caspian) strayed too much from the book, unlike the first film (Wardrobe) which fleshed out a good story while sticking to the book. Despite that, the $225 million Caspian still managed to bring in $420 million. Letting a franchise with such huge potential (not to mention merchandising) was an incredibly shortsighted decision, imo. But hey, what do I know? I don't work for the studio.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    No, Andrew Stanton removed "of Mars" so it would appeal to a broader audience. He did this as early as 2008, so the failure of "Moms" wasn't related.
    I don't buy that.. even in 2010/11 the project was refered to with Mars in the title..

The name change had to be explained in May of last year
    Blue Sky Disney: John Carter Of Nowhere...

Stanton is also aware of the controversy behind his decision to shorten the title from the originally announced John Carter of Mars to just John Carter, a move that he hopes will open up the film to broader audiences.

"I know I'm going to get this question all day and probably for the rest of my frickin' life: Why 'John Carter'?" laughs Stanton, "...Believe me, Mars is going to come into this thing, title and everything, before this whole journey's over. You've just got to be patient."
    A First Look at John Carter - ComingSoon.net

Refered to as 'from mars' when the release dates were set
    Disney Sets Release Dates For John Carter of Mars And Frankenweenie - CinemaBlend.com

And still referred to as 'from mars' as late as Jan 2011 when they shifted the release dates
    Disney Shifts Release Dates for 'Frankenweenie,' 'John Carter of Mars' | The Wrap Movies
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Timelord

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I don't buy that.. even in 2010/11 the project was refered to with Mars in the title..

The name change had to be explained in May of last year
    Blue Sky Disney: John Carter Of Nowhere...

A First Look at John Carter - ComingSoon.net

Refered to as 'from mars' when the release dates were set
    Disney Sets Release Dates For John Carter of Mars And Frankenweenie - CinemaBlend.com

And still referred to as 'from mars' as late as Jan 2011 when they shifted the release dates
    Disney Shifts Release Dates for 'Frankenweenie,' 'John Carter of Mars' | The Wrap Movies
    This is what I was getting at =)

• DLR Cast Member

Let me clarify. I didn't mean to give the impression that "of Mars" was excised as early s 2008, but that the name had been changed as early as 2008. In a Dec 2011 interview, Stanton addressed it directly:

"Here’s the real truth of it. I’d already changed it from A Princess Of Mars to John Carter Of Mars. I don’t like to get fixated on it, but I changed Princess Of Mars… because not a single boy would go.

"And then the other truth is, no girl would go to see John Carter Of Mars. So I said, “I don’t won’t to do anything out of fear, I hate doing things out of fear, but I can’t ignore that truth.”

"All the time we were making this big character story which just so happens to be in this big, spectacular new environment. But it’s not about the spectacle, it’s about the investment. I thought, I’ve really worked hard to make all of this an origin story. It’s about a guy becoming John Carter. So I’m not misrepresenting what this movie is, it’s John Carter..."

• Pilot EdForceOne

I don't read that from that quote - I read a justification on why the name works.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• DLR Cast Member

I don't read that from that quote - I read a justification on why the name works.
    I'll save everyone the trouble:

People are going to believe that "of Mars" was dropped because of "Mars Needs Moms" despite that there's nothing to support that except for speculation. And when anyone says "not so", those people say "prove it". Round and round we go.

• secure all cargo

I'm up for seeing it, it looks like it could be fun. But while the fact Andrew Stanton is directing does get my attention, I don't necessarily have high hopes for the film because of it. While Brad Bird made a great transition to live action, there's also The Lion King's Rob Minkoff who gave us The Forbidden Kingdom (so-so) and The Haunted Mansion (mostly lame). So as for Mr. Stanton doing John Carter, we'll see.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    I'll save everyone the trouble:

People are going to believe that "of Mars" was dropped because of "Mars Needs Moms" despite that there's nothing to support that except for speculation. And when anyone says "not so", those people say "prove it". Round and round we go.
    Disney would never admit such a reasoning or allow somebody from the crew to do so either.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Proud of me?

@AndrewStanton: @coheteboy: Want to see John Carter because I love your work. The marketing of this movie though..Just doesn't feel like its you” / Oh, it's me. Trust me.
    ^ this is grand!
    I'm the only Asian guy at the NAACP after party. Now I know how @JLin7 feels.
    ^this is classic!

I'll be there opening weekend as well supporting the co-screenwriter of 'Toy Story', 'Toy Story 2', 'Monsters, Inc.' and co-screenwriter/co-director of 'A Bug's Life'. All hail Zurg!
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Had no idea what movie you were all talkking about. I had never heard about it until Istumbled onto this thread. So I looked for the movie trailer, and it does look like someone took Star Wars EP III battle scenes, and mixed it with left over Prince Of Persia stuff ( I never did see the Prince of Persia), and mix in a little of Aviatar type character design... not very compelling

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast