• I have a MODERATE desire to see this film

31 31.96%
  • I DO NOT have a desire to see this film

30 30.93%
  • I have never heard of this film before today

11 11.34%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Shablagoo!

Re: John Carter Positioned To Be Biggest Flop Of All Time?

The best thing Disney could do right now is let some reviewers see it and let them review it. Start to let word of mouth get out there. I know they let Harry Knowles review it and he enjoyed it quite a bit.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by 3IAlienKid View Post
    I'm up for seeing it, it looks like it could be fun. But while the fact Andrew Stanton is directing does get my attention, I don't necessarily have high hopes for the film because of it. While Brad Bird made a great transition to live action, there's also The Lion King's Rob Minkoff who gave us The Forbidden Kingdom (so-so) and The Haunted Mansion (mostly lame). So as for Mr. Stanton doing John Carter, we'll see.

Let's make things crystal clear though. Rob Minkoff wasn't the sole director of The Lion King. He shared those duties with Roger Allers.

And The Forbidden Kingdom is an AMAZING movie.... the problem is that they made it an American movie instead of a Chinese movie. If that movie was completely in Chinese with subtitles, not only would it make more sense, they would have Jackie Chan and Jet Li delivering their lines with more confidence and sincerity.

And we all agree about The Haunted Mansion missing the mark completely. But what else did he do after Lion King? Stuart Little which is mildly successful and he did the Roger Rabbit shorts which were great. But we can all agree that they weren't incredible "films" the way WALL-E and FINDING NEMO were.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Moderator

A few things the Disney trailer needed:

1) Mention of author Edgar Rice Burroughs. It doesn't always work but tying it to a literary source can sometimes get viewers more interested. "Oh, I liked Tarzan.. I might like this too!"

2) Mention the director's previous credits... especially if he's an Academy Award winning filmmaker who made WALL-E and FINDING NEMO.

Here's a fan made trailer that out-does Disney's efforts by a long shot.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Please tell me I'm not the first person to make a Dick Cook/trader Sam of Jungle cruise joke.

Agreed the marketing has been dismal and I have little interest in this as do my 2 kids.

Carry on.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Here's a fan made trailer that out-does Disney's efforts by a long shot.
    Excellent!

Hire those guys, fire the other guys. Problem solved.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Fan-cut trailer totally sells it, comparatively...the one title card about inspiring cinema history is a bit overdone, but the rest is spot on. Totally highlights why Disney marketing made totally uninspired choices for the trailer pitches (More action! Quick cuts! Less story!).

A shame.

• Hello Dolly.

Wow I've never heard or seen of this movie outside of micechat. Only reason why it's familiar is because of someone's trip report on here showing the billboards at DCA.

I would say this film is going to flop. I'm going to watch the trailer right now though.

• Dave

Blog Entries

I am shocked that this is even an issues as a fan of the books. I can tell you this will; be a great movie and shame on Disney for its lack luster marketing on an amazing looking film. I hope it does well because the sequals are even better. Besides it can't be that bad they released it just for me on my 41st Birthday, March 9th. They after all released just for me so evryone on MiceChat has to want to see it. DAVE
    Dave

• MiceChat Moderator

Andrew Stanton himself retweeted that fan-made trailer saying that "they get it". The world premiere is tomorrow so reviews shouldn't be too far behind. So far... i hear it's great. I KNOW it's great. I trust Andrew Stanton.

But it's just sad that Disney as a company doesn't get it themselves. Why isn't there a Drew Struzan poster for this? If there was anything to get him out of retirement, this should have been it.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Very nice Mondo Graphics designed poster, beats the official movie theater display ones by a mile:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolproducti...MondoImax.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    This is absolutely my feeling as well. I trust that Andrew Stanton is a great filmmaker (wall-e, finding nemo) but the marketing of this film is all Rich Ross' blundering team. First of all, the title is SO boring. John. Carter. Two first names to an audience that didn't grow up with any of these books or comics. "John Carter of Mars" would have added that extra level of interest.

And the ads... well... they just look like every sci-fi movie rip off known to man, edited in a "been there done that" sort of way.

The posters aren't anything I'd like to hang on my wall neither.

Essentially... this reminds people of the all too-recent Prince of Persia flop.
    Sums up and more why this film might go south.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by bigwavedave View Post
    I am shocked that this is even an issues as a fan of the books. I can tell you this will; be a great movie and shame on Disney for its lack luster marketing on an amazing looking film. I hope it does well because the sequals are even better. Besides it can't be that bad they released it just for me on my 41st Birthday, March 9th. They after all released just for me so evryone on MiceChat has to want to see it. DAVE
    I'm riding your wave Big Dave... can't wait to see John Carter! And an early HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Here's to surprise hits that aren't dependent on mega bucks to fill theater seats.

---------- Post added 02-22-2012 at 01:11 AM ----------

Extended Super Bowl TrailerJohn Carter: Extended Super Bowl Ad - YouTube

Although John Carter could have benefited from additional advertising, those that have drawn a conclusion that the film is destened for Persia-ville due to a dearth of marketing might reconsider.

The extended Super Bowl ad was awesome, as was the following 2012 Trailer that features an intro by Andrew Stanton:
    John Carter: Extended Super Bowl Ad - YouTube

The trailer's classic rock music evokes recognition and excitement for the coming film. Audiences currently attending cinemas can hardly miss the trailer. The marketing is rather laid back, but slick. It's fantasy story/effects combined with live action/CG animation will out-style WALL*E and Nemo. Get ready for some company Tarzan as Papa Rice Burroughs is about to bring your novel bro to life on the big silvery screen, along with a giant IMAX attack. Looks like Carter has a beautiful princess heroine comperable to Jane. Cheetah gives the future success of the film two thumbs up plus a banana.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 02-22-2012 at 07:52 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• MiceChat Moderator

Oh don't get me wrong... I cannot wait to see this film. But it's mostly because of Andrew Stanton and nothing else. The Disney Marketing team has done nothing to gather interest from me nor most anyone else.

As a test, I found a buddy of mine who I normally talk movies with and who's also a big disney fan. ... but he has a newborn baby so going to the movies or the parks have not been an option for the better part of the last 12 months. I asked him if he knew anything about JOHN CARTER. And he says absolutely nothing.

I showed him the teaser trailer and then the real trailer.

He concludes that it's not enough to get him interested.

I then showed him the fan-made trailer.

His interest slowly forms. His interest in Wall-E and Finding Nemo opened that door and because John Carter looks so different, he's curious as to what this movie can be like.

I THEN tell him that Andrew Stanton is a HUGE fan of the series. I also tell him that the original novel is by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Alright... now he's waaay more interested than he previously was. And that's the power of word of mouth. Disney has tv spots, online trailers, movie theatrical trailers... and yet couldn't convince my friend that this movie was worth his time.

Keep in mind... I didn't even tell him that most reviews have been over-whelmingly positive. Knowing that, would maybe help even MORE.

I've learned that a preview in Arizona, Disney restricted any of the critics from saying a thing. They suddenly decided to allow them to tweet about it, but not full reviews. Majority of the tweets have been very positive. You can just see how the people within the company were out to stop people from talking about it... and then learned that the movie was tracking horribly... so they changed their mind when people had good things. Silly.

• Minion

Robinsons taught me a long time ago that Disney can't advertise a movie anymore. I've heard good things about John Carter, it looks fun in general. But damn, Disney Marketing just seems like it's made up of these guys.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Pilot EdForceOne

I constantly see TV spots, hear radio spots, etc. The coverage is there... but to the passer by , it just looks like another Thor, another random action flick, big booms, etc.

They have failed to make it stand out or make it desirable.

The TV spots focus on his super jumping.. which without any story.. just looks freaking stupid and makes you go 'wtf' and you don't know if it this is realistic, comic book, or what.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast