25 25.77%
  • I have a MODERATE desire to see this film

31 31.96%
  • I DO NOT have a desire to see this film

30 30.93%
  • I have never heard of this film before today

11 11.34%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Re: John Carter Positioned To Be Biggest Flop Of All Time?

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I constantly see TV spots, hear radio spots, etc. The coverage is there... but to the passer by , it just looks like another Thor, another random action flick, big booms, etc.

They have failed to make it stand out or make it desirable.

The TV spots focus on his super jumping.. which without any story.. just looks freaking stupid and makes you go 'wtf' and you don't know if it this is realistic, comic book, or what.
    Agreed.The simple way to make the film a success is tell what the story is about.

• Reforming Lurker

That Forbes piece that Al linked to on the MiceAge homepage is awful. It was posted yesterday afternoon and makes the claim that no one outside of the studio has seen "John Carter" -- this is patently false. There have been multiple screenings this week for the press, and reactions to the film have trickled onto Twitter this week. (Many of those reactions are positive, by the way.)

The Forbes writer also suggests that Disney change the title of the film. That would be a fine idea if the movie didn't release in two weeks -- how could it possibly be worth recalling and changing millions of dollars of marketing materials at this point?

Unless it miraculously goes the route of "Titanic" and "Avatar," "John Carter" will forever be remembered as a fiasco, fairly or not. (Remember "Waterworld"? That made decent money and was surprisingly good, but years later it's still remembered as one of the biggest flops of all time.)
    "I really do have love to give. I just don't know where to put it."

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by quizkid8279 View Post
    Unless it miraculously goes the route of "Titanic" and "Avatar," "John Carter" will forever be remembered as a fiasco, fairly or not. (Remember "Waterworld"? That made decent money and was surprisingly good, but years later it's still remembered as one of the biggest flops of all time.)
    Sorry, but Waterford is patently awful. There is very little to redeem that movie and it rightly deserves its reputation as a flop.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by quizkid8279 View Post
    That Forbes piece that Al linked to on the MiceAge homepage is awful. It was posted yesterday afternoon and makes the claim that no one outside of the studio has seen "John Carter" -- this is patently false. There have been multiple screenings this week for the press, and reactions to the film have trickled onto Twitter this week. (Many of those reactions are positive, by the way.)

The Forbes writer also suggests that Disney change the title of the film. That would be a fine idea if the movie didn't release in two weeks -- how could it possibly be worth recalling and changing millions of dollars of marketing materials at this point?
    That same contributing writer had a similar piece back in October of last year on the Syfy site.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

This is a primarily a Disney fan site. When you can't get more than 20% of MiceChatter's excited about a Disney film, you know it's in trouble with the general audience.

The marketing on this film may end up in text books for how NOT to promote a movie.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Fun reading if you've missed it or haven't seen it yet. Mike Ryan of Moviefone writes: "John Carter: 6 Ways To Fix The Poor Marketing Campaign"
    Mike Ryan: John Carter: 6 Ways To Fix The Poor Marketing Campaign

My friend John who started his own blog the other day compiled some thoughts about the film, which he saw last night.

Out There In The Dark: Thoughts on the Movies: "John Carter": Initial Thoughts

There is so very, very much more to this story than two giant monsters chasing John Carter like the posters show; that would be a little like advertising The Wizard of Oz by focusing on the Winged Monkeys carrying Dorothy -- John Carter is rich, multi-faceted, fascinating and fulfilling.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Marketing issues aside, its influence goes so deep that it's easy for people to say it's a ripoff of everything from Adam Strange to Avatar although the reverse is true.

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    The marketing on this film may end up in text books for how NOT to promote a movie.
    And they should've learnt their lesson with Prince of Persia.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

No wonder no one is interested in this movie. A movie about Abraham Lincoln or George Washington would be way more interesting than a movie about a one term president from the 1970s.

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    No wonder no one is interested in this movie. A movie about Abraham Lincoln or George Washington would be way more interesting than a movie about a one term president from the 1970s.
    There's a movie about Lincoln fighting vampires coming out soon. Should do better than JC.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• MiceChat Moderator

Disney apparently has not learned how to market a film properly and they've had a pretty rough past. Going back a decade, Atlantis: The Lost Empire comes to mind. Back then, they thought that a single "A" in the Atlantean font would be enough to lure viewers. I happen to love the film but that was really poor marketing.

Poster: American Poster.. BORING! http://www.the-reel-mccoy.com/movies...ntisPoster.jpg

International Poster is pretty solid. better than anything in the states. It's mysterious though. http://thecia.com.au/reviews/a/image...s-poster-0.jpg

Treasure Planet was a complete flop, but was marketing completely to blame? I think the print advertising showing a boy looking off into space doesn't exactly lure people in. It's more restricted in approach and keeps people more isolated instead of drawing people in.

Poster: Actually looks pretty good but at the time, didn't do anything.
    http://images4.fanpop.com/image/phot...-1013-1500.jpg

Jumping ahead a little bit to The Princess and the Frog, I think they tried a little too hard. They tried to tie the legacy of wonderful Disney animation to the Princess and the Frog... but didn't have a scene or moment that gave the audience ANY idea what to expect. The teasers also showed Ray the firefly who was a favorite after watching the film, but without the film, he's just a very off-putting character. The full trailer wasn't much better, ruining the "twist" in the story. It would have also been better if they kept the title as The Frog Prince and not shown any of Tiana turning into a frog bit.

Poster: Better! They followed the Little Mermaid method with using a traditional poster:
    http://www.movieposter.com/posters/a...n/90/MPW-45359

And also a more adult-oriented one:
    http://www.disneydreaming.com/wp-con...rog-Poster.jpg

Aha... Tangled. The one that everyone complained in agreement that they marketed it like a Dreamworks movie. And changing the title from RAPUNZEL to TANGLED turned many people off. But yet... it was very successful! Now... I would hate to bring race into play but it is a possibility why 'Frog' didn't gain as much attention, which is sad if that's the case.
    Poster: Terrible. Unframable. Two sets of eyes peering out of massive amounts of hair.
    http://www.comingsoon.net/nextraimag...gledposter.jpg

Compare that with Japan's poster:
    http://www.movieposterdb.com/posters...6_cde9bb02.jpg

Poor Winnie the Pooh. Using a beautiful Keane song inappropriately doesn't win audiences. I think here is where they needed to pull out the ad campaign that Princess and the Frog followed and by using clips of the original as well. But of course going against Deathly Hallows Part 2 didn't help. But what if it was titled MANY MORE ADVENTURES OF WINNIE THE POOH? Would that remind audiences that this is a true sequel to the original favorites?

Poster: Lots and lots of negative space. And where's the title?
    http://wpc.556e.edgecastcdn.net/8055...jTq9MJ_2_m.jpg

And then John Carter. A title change also happened here (happens quite a bit with Disney films doesn't it?). Ads show scenes that don't explain the story. Print ad is even worse.

Poster: This movie is about some guy fighting two giant furry monsters:
    http://blog.bigmoviezone.com/images/...er02_555px.jpg

• Senior Minion

Oops.

As much as I admire Stanton's talent, I don't think it helps build confidence in John Carter when he blows off well-founded skepticism with statements like this in the L.A. Times:

...director Andrew Stanton said his years at Pixar working on projects like “WALL-E” and “Toy Story” taught him to ignore the early skeptics.

“That’s always been the case,” Stanton said on the red carpet before the film’s Wednesday premiere in downtown Los Angeles. “People don’t remember how much naysaying there’s been on how much of the other stuff we’ve worked on. You just gotta trust us. We really put our heart and soul into making movies that you’re going to have a real good time watching.”
    For Stanton to answer the very real concerns caused by a wretched marketing campaign with a patronizing "trust us" is one of the worst things he could have said, both to the fan community and the general public.

The fact that the quote contains not a word about the film itself only makes it worse.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

I actually do not find Andrew Stanton answer to the question wrong only because he is right. His previous work was criticized and proclaimed flops before they even came out in theaters. It also makes him sound confident about his work and at the same time does not play into the media game.

I had posted this in another thread but figured I would add it in this John Carter discussion.

Seems like the movie is getting positive reviews from people that have seen it including some critics that have talked about it already. Everyone seems to be in agreement though that marketing missed the target again on how to promote the movie and explain to people exactly what it is about.

Some things noted about Disney's lack of marketing in the fan sites is the lack of marketing linking the director to his previous work as well as linking it to the well n=known author of the book.

LINK to movie fan site

thejohncarterfiles.com

LINK TO trailer, might have to copy and past

Fan Trailer from www.thejohncarterfiles.com - YouTube

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Oops.

As much as I admire Stanton's talent, I don't think it helps build confidence in John Carter when he blows off well-founded skepticism with statements like this in the L.A. Times:

For Stanton to answer the very real concerns caused by a wretched marketing campaign with a patronizing "trust us" is one of the worst things he could have said, both to the fan community and the general public.

The fact that the quote contains not a word about the film itself only makes it worse.

I think what he's replying to is the people who think this movie is total crap.

The problem is, most people are saying it's total crap because of the bum job Disney did marketing this thing. Andrew's response is totally sound. It just doesn't address the issue of bad marketing.

• King of Los Angeles

I forgot that Nemo was supposed to be Pixars first flop and then Wall-E has no talking and will never make it. Stanton is used to beating the odds. I know a few people who have seen this and they've all said it's amazing. I'm pumped!

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast