• I DO NOT have a desire to see this film

30 30.93%
  • I have never heard of this film before today

11 11.34%
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

John Carter Positioned To Be Biggest Flop Of All Time?

The remarkable Nikki Finke, at deadline.com, has posted an article about the "Shockingly soft" tracking for Disney's John Carter. The film is scheduled to open March 9th, but has very low word of mouth and desire to see it, according to industry surveys.

The tracking for John Carter is shocking for a film that cost over $250 million. This could be the biggest writeoff of all time.
    Disney is already blaming the film on former studio head, Dick Cook, but he has been gone for years and Disney has reworked this film substantially since his departure.

What do you folks think? Are you excited to see John Carter?
    Last edited by Dustysage; 02-17-2012 at 10:15 AM.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: John Carter Positioned To Be Biggest Flop Of All Time?

I think nobody knows what it is or who it is from. "Disney" itself is still not that great of a brand when it comes to films. They really should have connected the film to Stanton's previous work, Finding Nemo and Wall•E.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

My interest in the film is in the work of Andrew Stanton.

Having had the chance to both speak to him and hear him talk about the film over the past few years I've gotten more & more excited at the prospect of visiting his Mars. His passion for the project in genuine (check out his Twitter account) whether or not a few studio or other industry sources agree is a non-issue.

Audience word-of-mouth will help carry the film if it's what he says & believes it is.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• 1 of 5DQ

I'm truly stumped at the soft reception this movie is getting. I've been seeing tons of push for it and it looks absolutely amazing! I have found the trailers to be exciting, capable of hooking the viewer into wanting to know more, and it looks like a terrifically fun sci-fi adventure film!

I hope that the Avengers movie isn't overshadowing John Carter in terms movie going excitement... There is room for both movies to succeed and I would like to see John Carter blow the roof off at the theaters when it opens!!!

They keep acting like this film is some huge epic that everyone has read. What they should be doing is showing more of the story in the trailers. Right now, it's all Big Giant Apes and Pew Pew Lasers. There's nothing to hook people. Show more of Willem Dafoe, show more of his life outside of Mars (seriously, this is the most confusing part of the long trailers).

John Carter looks like a film that I might want to see, but as of now, I don't.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    My interest in the film is in the work of Andrew Stanton.

Having had the chance to both speak to him and hear him talk about the film over the past few years I've gotten more & more excited at the prospect of visiting his Mars. His passion for the project in genuine (check out his Twitter account) whether or not a few studio or other industry sources agree is a non-issue.

Audience word-of-mouth will help carry the film if it's what he says & believes it is.

This is absolutely my feeling as well. I trust that Andrew Stanton is a great filmmaker (wall-e, finding nemo) but the marketing of this film is all Rich Ross' blundering team. First of all, the title is SO boring. John. Carter. Two first names to an audience that didn't grow up with any of these books or comics. "John Carter of Mars" would have added that extra level of interest.

And the ads... well... they just look like every sci-fi movie rip off known to man, edited in a "been there done that" sort of way.

The posters aren't anything I'd like to hang on my wall neither.

Essentially... this reminds people of the all too-recent Prince of Persia flop.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    This is absolutely my feeling as well. I trust that Andrew Stanton is a great filmmaker (wall-e, finding nemo) but the marketing of this film is all Rich Ross' blundering team. First of all, the title is SO boring. John. Carter. Two first names to an audience that didn't grow up with any of these books or comics. "John Carter of Mars" would have added that extra level of interest.

And the ads... well... they just look like every sci-fi movie rip off known to man, edited in a "been there done that" sort of way.

The posters aren't anything I'd like to hang on my wall neither.

Essentially... this reminds people of the all too-recent Prince of Persia flop.
    Bingo. As a Barsoom fan from 'way back and a Stanton fan, I'm flabbergasted at the "been there, seen that" choices in casting, dialogue, set design and creature design that I've seen thus far. As of now, I'm looking forward to JC like a trip to the dentist: gotta do it, but it's gonna hurt.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

The whole thing makes me very sad. I've been eagerly awaiting this film since 2008 when I first started following its ups and downs. That 5 year later the public STILL doesn't know what this film is about is 100% Disney's fault. If you are producing a mega budget (perhaps $250 Million) film, audiences should be excited about it years before it hits theaters. You don't wait until a month before release to sound the alarms.

We were contacted repeatedly about Pirates and other big budget Disney films months and years before their release. But no one from the company has reached out to us on this one. Generally, that means that the studio doesn't have faith in the film. They fear the media attention more than they think it will help.

If the film is terrible and tanks at the box office, that is one thing. But if its an epic and doesn't make it . . . that's a marketing problem. And those sorts of problems are avoidable.

Andrew Stanton makes great films. There is no reason to believe that this one will be any different . . . except for the way Disney has pushed it into a corner.

I REALLY hope that they can pull a rabbit out of the hat on the terribly named John Carter. But it may be too late to turn a ship this size.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    First of all, the title is SO boring. John. Carter. Two first names to an audience that didn't grow up with any of these books or comics. "John Carter of Mars" would have added that extra level of interest.
    On this note, what the hell is up with the logotype? It is contemporary, generic, bland and boring. It gives no sense of sci-fi, the past, romantic adventure or anything other than a clichéd attempt at being hip.

• keh!

absolutely not interested in it at all. it doesn't appeal to me. and i know that andrew stanton is great storyteller, but this movie's promos does nothing for me. it reminds me of Prince of Persia, they can throw all these crazy graphics and actions scenes at me, but it will not get me to want to see it. i think for me it's the desert environment, i don't care for deserts. they bore me. i think it will flop indeed.

• is too darn hot.

I am very disappointed in the marketing for this film. I'm a long tie fan of the Edgar Rice Burroughs Barsoom books and when I saw that Andrew Stanton was going to be directing a live-action version of the story I could not have been more excited. Then Disney dropped "of Mars" from the title. Why? To distance themselves from Mars Needs Moms? No one remembers that film anyway. By cutting that from the title they've effectively killed the heart of the story. Speaking of story, there is none of it in the trailers. There's just a lot of rapid cuts and explosions. While there is a fair amount of action in the books, there is more to it than that. There's love, there's politics, there's pathos. There is none of that in the trailers. I will see this film because I've been waiting for it for years, but I won't be surprised if it flops. I will, however, be very sad. If this movie does fail, it's purely because of the marketing.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Count me in as agreeing...I really hope the trailers are just what they appear: bad trailers. Andrew Stanton knows how to write and seems genuinely excited about his movie, made complex and emotional films before. But the deafening indifference to this generally seen in movie fans or internet buzz, and the poor presentation, is undeniable. The whole marketing pitch is very bland...it may as well be Chronicles of Riddick, Prince of Persia, Attack of the Clones, Immortals...the trailer and tv spots lack any character or charisma. Here's hoping I am wrong in it seeming the movie itself is like that too, denying the pulp/comic roots is a big mistake and makes it just seem 'meh' from outside perspective.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Circle of Ancients

Like those above, my interest in this movie stems from Andrew Stanton's involvement.

I also agree that the title sucks.

The other thing that has me stumped is that the "Mars" from the previews looks VERY MUCH like the Jedi Battle scenes from "Star Wars Episode II". Any movie that conjures up thoughts of that movie should probably be avoided.

• Infinitized!

Sounds like it may have the same outcome as Prince of Persia. Was a fun movie, but the marketing was terrible. I agree that they shouldn't have dropped "of Mars" from the title. The way that it is now, I'm thinking it's an ER spinoff movie starring Noah Wyle.

I'll go see it to support a fellow ex-Kelownian, Taylor Kitsch is from Kelowna, where I lived for the past 12 years (and my sister still lives there, and it's also where Club Penguin has their head office).

• shaping tomorrow

Stanton has a winning record, and has made arguably two of pixars aboslutely best films, I have no reason to believe john carter will be anything but enjoyable. I hope I am right and believe I am, but I must agree the marketing up until now has been poor.

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast