• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Practically Perfect People Never Do!

Howdy Pards,

Twas Mary Poppins herself who said that "Practically perfect people never permit sentiment to muddle their thinking."

Course, her parrot umbrella was sorta on to her...I suppose.

Which leads me to the need to admit to everyone here assembled that...well... I cried when Snow White bit into that apple...I cried when Bambi's father told him that his mother couldn't be with him anymore...I cried when Old Yeller died...and I teared up some when Mary was standin' on that porch watchin' the Banks family flyin' that mended kite...

Walt had a way of touchin' folks hearts...we cared for those characters...and, with our tears perhaps came love...love that would last a lifetime.

I remember hearin' some of the animators tellin' about settin' in that theater and watchin' the reactions when Snow White premiered so long ago... People were cryin' for a cartoon! And, they said, it was then that they first began to understand the power of their medium...and the power of storytelling in general.

I believe that the love we share for these characters is real in every way...strong too. It's a love that stands the test of time. A love that really enriches our lives...and teaches us lessons about some mighty important things.

Well...I cried when Walt Disney died. Lots of other folks did too. Why? Because he brought so many wonderful things into our world...into our lives. Happy things. Special things. Things we cherish and always will.

Now...some would say that it's a trick, a technique, a show, a cold hard business with only one purpose and that is to make money.

Some would say that...but I don't believe it. Walt Disney had a way of touching our hearts...of creating joy and laughter and wonder and magic and hopes and dreams...that went far beyond the idea of a cold hard business.

We live in a cynical world...but Walt Disney didn't. He knew the power of the things of the heart...he knew that love was a wonderful thing...and he brought us that...gift wrapped and with a smile.

Now you may think that's just a bunch of sentimental hogwash. And "Practically perfect people never permit sentiment to muddle their thinking." But, I'm inclined to believe that Mary's parrot umbrella knew the truth of it all...

I'm inclined to look up and wish upon that star. Walt Disney's legacy has impacted all our lives in such a wonderful, positive way...The most important thing is the family he used to say...and "If we can dream it, we can do it."

His words ring out today... "To all who come to this happy place...welcome!"

It was about far, far more than money...it was about life and how to live it with joy, and wonder, and hope, and delight.

All that is sentiment I suppose, and I suppose I shouldn't let it muddle my thinking. Practically perfect people never do!

But...when I go through those tunnels at Disneyland...and into the happiest place on earth...I look up at that window above the fire station...and I thank God that light in the window is still on... that Walt's spirit is, indeed, still in the park...and in our weary ol' world...still bringing us...all of us...till this very day..happiness, joy, and inspiration... God Bless that wonderful man...that man who knew the secret of making dreams come true...

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 05-05-2012 at 10:20 AM.

Re: Practically Perfect People Never Do!

"Best doggone dog in the West."

Howdy Pards,

Well...twas a long, long time ago now...but, I reckon I will remember it the longest day I live...when we
    were leaving the movie theater I told my Dad I had sand in my eyes...

"No film better captures the powerful emotions of hope, courage, and friendship than this treasured and much beloved classic, OLD YELLER. The quintessential tale of a boy's love for his dog has touched the hearts of millions, its enduring legacy growing with each new generation and it's "still one of the best!" (Leonard Maltin)"

Wild Ol' Dan

Arrrh Maties,

One of Walt's tales of Adventure captured every boy's heart back in the day...twas the tale of Long John Silver and young Jim Hawkins...Treasure Island.

Ya knew Long John was a pirate... There weren't no question about that. But, by the end of the adventure you found yourself happy that Jim had pushed that long boat off the sand allowing Silver to escape out into the open sea.

As Dr. Livesey said, "Blast him...I could almost find it in my heart to hope he makes it."

We all felt that way.

Aye. As that feller Leonard Maltin says, "It's one of Disney's all-time best live-action films, and a truly outstanding adventure tale that puts most of its more contemporary imitations to shame."

Aye, Maties...twas all that and more. Remember the parrot's name? Twas Captain Flint it was,
    named after the famous Buccaneer!

Wild Ol' Dan
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

Well Wild Ol' Dan here is where you and I tend to see things differently once again. I'm old enough to have seen Mary Poppins in a movie theater, not in a megla-plex with 18 screens like they have now but a real movie theater with a balcony and everything. And being a boy of all of 6 or 7, seeing a kindly woman flying around on an umbrella kind of gave me the creeps, I'm talking nightmares creeps. Kind of had the same experience seeing the Wizard of Oz as a child with flying monkeys - nightmares. (and why Disney is getting into the Oz business with a movie is beyond me at this point)

I kind of think that maybe ol' Walt was maybe too good of a story teller with his movies. I don't want see a deer burned in a fire, a dog shot, or an elephant with big ears made fun of. As a child and to this day, I go to the movies to smile, laugh, have adventures and to be entertained. I really don't want to cry any more now than I did when I was a child at the movies. Goodness knows you don't have to look very far in this world to find sadness. It's hiding around every bend. So why find sadness going to a movie even if it has a "happy ending". Walt was a masterful story teller but also a bit of a heavy handed one at times.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandTraveler View Post
    Well Wild Ol' Dan here is where you and I tend to see things differently once again. I'm old enough to have seen Mary Poppins in a movie theater, not in a megla-plex with 18 screens like they have now but a real movie theater with a balcony and everything. And being a boy of all of 6 or 7, seeing a kindly woman flying around on an umbrella kind of gave me the creeps, I'm talking nightmares creeps. Kind of had the same experience seeing the Wizard of Oz as a child with flying monkeys - nightmares. (and why Disney is getting into the Oz business with a movie is beyond me at this point)

I kind of think that maybe ol' Walt was maybe too good of a story teller with his movies. I don't want see a deer burned in a fire, a dog shot, or an elephant with big ears made fun of. As a child and to this day, I go to the movies to smile, laugh, have adventures and to be entertained. I really don't want to cry any more now than I did when I was a child at the movies. Goodness knows you don't have to look very far in this world to find sadness. It's hiding around every bend. So why find sadness going to a movie even if it has a "happy ending". Walt was a masterful story teller but also a bit of a heavy handed one at times.
    Howdy DisneylandTraveler,

Well, I'm not entirely sure we see things all that differently and, I reckon I'm mor'n old enough myself to remember seein' Mary Poppins in the theater down on Main Street in my hometown...yep, balcony and everything. I was 14 when it came out back in '64...

And, you weren't the onliest feller to have nightmares about those monkeys in the Wizard of Oz...blame MGM for that...

Nope...Walt Disney's stories weren't all sugar and spice and everything nice...when you think about 'em Fairy Tales ain't that way either. Some of those stories can get mighty rough.

Did I want Ol' Yeller to die? Of course I didn't...that's why I cried. I wanted him to get better...for everything to be all right. But, life just wasn't always that way...sometimes it could get mighty rough.

As Fess Parker shared with his son...it was a part of growin' up...becomin' a man...doin' the right thing...facin' the truth of a situation...and movin' on as best ya can. In short there were lessons bein' taught in Ol' Yeller...and Walt didn't pull no punches when he put it up there on the big screen.

Bambi was the same way...no punches were pulled...and we cried.

Life is not all smooth sailin' I reckon. And younguns need to understand that sometimes
    bad things happen. As you say "you don't have to look very far in this old world to find sadness. It's hiding around every bend." I suppose we've both been around long enough now to have mor'n our fair share..."

But, why did we cry for Snow White? She was just a drawing you know? Still we cried. And I reckon we cried because we cared for her. This kinda shocked the animators of the day...they never knew how powerful a story could be...their drawings had touched our hearts...way down deep.

It all boils down to love, I reckon.

Walt's best stories...his best adventures...always had danger of some sort or another in 'em. A good many of 'em seemed to be sayin' cherish all the happy moments you get in life...cause it wont always be sunshine and flowers...sometimes the forest can get downright scary.

And...those old fairy tales all seemed designed to give us strength to meet life's challenges...to believe in the good, the fair, and the true...to do the right thing.

Like you, I sure don't go to the movies to cry...but, the truth is Ol' Yeller helped me prepare a little for the two times in my life that I lost a dog that I loved. And, I've always tried to treat animals a little better I suppose because...well...I loved 'em...

I believe some of those tales Walt told were kinda rough...but, life can be that way too.
    And it don't hurt for us to figure out that we do care about others. As Merlin said to the Wart..."You know boy, that love business is a mighty powerful thing."

So...even though practically perfect people never permit sentiment to muddle their thinking... Walt knew the way to touch our hearts. And we loved him for it...still do.

Seems we were always learnin' a lesson or two about life from that Disney feller...

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 05-19-2012 at 04:29 PM.
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."