Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Selective Pin Trader

Re: disney animation lost

I do not believe that the Lights Camera Magic tour even goes to the Animation Studios - in fact, does anyone know what tour does?

I just took the tour they take you to the disney studios were u could walk in the old animation building, ink and paint department, the tunnel, they talk a lot about animation you also get to see the archives and the Disney's legends memorial thing.Also u eat lunch there. After that u go to hollywood to an exclusive tour to the kodak theater and u can walk around for 45 minutes in Hollywood. After that u go to sunset strip and then go to rodeo drive u get to walk for 20 minutes there and then go to some seafood place but there changing the restaurant this month to the farmers market

• All-American

From what I hear, the studio's adopting a very diverse pipeline. Although I haven't heard about any greenlit hand-drawn films per se, there are at least some in development (i.e., they are being worked on, even if they won't be approved for production and release). From what I've picked up reading some animators' blogs, it's an exciting time to work for the Disney animated studios. Supposedly just about anything that an animator wants to pitch will at least be looked at, which hasn't been true at that studio in over a decade - regardless of whether the proposal is hand- or digitally-rendered.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Except that Winnie the Pooh was released last year, which would be after The Princess and the Frog.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Again, Princess and the Frog cannot be the last because Winnie the Pooh was released.
    People always seem to forget that, don't they? Being released the same day as the final Harry Potter film will do that to you. (but then, release dates haven't exactly been the studio's strong suit recently )

Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy View Post
    The latest pooh was not hand drawn.
    Yes, it was. And it's quite possibly the most beautifully-painted Pooh ever, I might add:

Quote Originally Posted by CSei2011 View Post
    ..wait.. have I been living in a hole? To the best of my knowledge wasn't the little mermaid the LAST traditionally animated film??
    Actually, it wasn't even the first movie to use digital animation! Great Mouse Detective had its computer-generated Big Ben scene a good three years before Mermaid came out.

Quote Originally Posted by DLandFansAZ View Post
    I hope traditional 2D isn't dead, however computers aiding in the animation process are here to stay. They are a tool just like many other inventions throughout history that have helped animation evolve. Even Disney's multiplane camera was an advancement to aid in the animation process and let's see that was for Snow White.

It hasn't always been looked down on, Beauty and the Beast was hailed for the computer animation in the ballroom scene. I think what this boils down to is that many people feel that CGI=Pixar. Yes, Pixar is CGI, but what they create is their "style" of CGI. I'm sure there are many things created with CGI that most people don't even realize and they look nothing like Pixar films.
    And that's the final point worth noting: that the styles and technologies used in animation are on a sliding scale, not at all as clearly divided between "hand-drawn" and "digital" as people would like to believe. Whether it's...

- Beauty & the Beast's CAPS system of hand-drawings being painted on computer
    - Aladdin's use of 2D characters (Genie, Jafar) alongside computer characters (flying carpet, Cave of Wonders)
    - Tarzan and Fantasia 2000's use of Deep Canvas technology to completely model backgrounds on the computer, and then be "painted" and rendered to appear hand-drawn
    - Treasure Planet's complete mixture of hand-drawn and computer-rendered elements, sometimes within the same character (John Silver vs. his arm)
    - Tangled's digitally created imagery passed through rendering software to make them take on the look of an oil-painting

...the mish-mash of hand-drawn and digital animation has been going on for the last two decades, and is nothing new to Disney.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy View Post
    The latest pooh was not hand drawn.
    Because it was all done in a computer?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    And that's the final point worth noting: that the styles and technologies used in animation are on a sliding scale, not at all as clearly divided between "hand-drawn" and "digital" as people would like to believe. Whether it's...

- Beauty & the Beast's CAPS system of hand-drawings being painted on computer
    - Aladdin's use of 2D characters (Genie, Jafar) alongside computer characters (flying carpet, Cave of Wonders)
    - Tarzan and Fantasia 2000's use of Deep Canvas technology to completely model backgrounds on the computer, and then be "painted" and rendered to appear hand-drawn
    - Treasure Planet's complete mixture of hand-drawn and computer-rendered elements, sometimes within the same character (John Silver vs. his arm)
    - Tangled's digitally created imagery passed through rendering software to make them take on the look of an oil-painting

...the mish-mash of hand-drawn and digital animation has been going on for the last two decades, and is nothing new to Disney.
    This is why I said I think the technique of animation, models versus drawing, is what would be the real item of difference between "traditional" and CGI. Almost everything is going to actually be done in the computer today. Even the hand drawings are done on graphics tablets instead of paper.

• Sock Puppet

Sounds like what happened in the 80's where traditional animation was taken off the lot because it wasn't bringing in the money it used to. I've been seeing this for a while and I think that history shall once again repeat itself. Maybe we will get another perfect storm in 2015 when Iger steps down as CEO and we get someone else in.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123