• Infinitized!

Disney phasing-out Disneynature?

Usually by now a trailer for the next Disneynature movie would be online, to be released next earth Day. However, with the release of Chimpanzee next week, no new trailer for a new Disneynature movie has shown up yet.

Is Disney dropping the Disneynature line?

We still have yet to see a North American theatrical release of Hidden Beauty: A Love Story that Feeds the Earth, released as Pollen in France last year. I'm assuming Hidden Beauty will go straight to Blu-Ray and DVD like Crimson Wing did. I really enjoy these movies and seen each one in theaters twice. Would be sad to see this part of Disney dropped.

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Disney phasing-out Disneynature?

It would be sad, but not at all surprising. They never quite caught on.

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,

Well, watchin' the realities of nature can sometimes be hard for some folks to take these days.

It seems that some of us human animals lead such sheltered lives that we never have to think about how an animal survives in the wild somewheres far, far away. Some are more concerned about things like plastic toys and lip gloss and shoes and things than they will ever be about chimpanzees.

Nope...some people leave mowin' the lawn to someone else...they don't want to be bothered by such things. They are a little too busy afterall texting things on their electronic gizmos to worry about whales.

It's a shame really that these folks have sorta completely lost touch with the planet they are livin' on... If it's not a plush polar bear toy at the mall they are simply not interested...

Still there is hope...at Disney's Animal Kingdom folks are discoverin' some pretty amazing things...like the rainbow of different colored fish in that pond...or those bats...or that safari...

For a long time now the folks at Disney have been tryin' to tell us about the amazing world of nature. Walt's True Life Adventures were really kinda special...and these new Disneynature films can be too. But, one of the things that cause folks to not come back can be those scenes that get just a little too real...you know...the kill and eat or be eaten scenes. Real? Yes. But, for folks who spend most of their time in the comfort and safety of an air-conditioned mall...huntin' for shoes...the real life of a lion may be just a bit too much to take.

When folks don't come to the movie...when films loose money...they tend not to be made again...
    survival of the fittest I guess...the law of the jungle...

But, the truth is, we had better start payin' attention to our planet and all the critters who live here...we are all part of an ecosystem...the circle of life you could call it...and just cause we fancy ourselves up at the top...that don't mean all those other critters ain't important. We got a whole bunch more to learn...and DisneyNature gives us a start...

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan

I hope not, but would not be surprised. When Bob Iger first became the Disney CEO, there were a number of changes to make it seem as if Disney was "going back to it's roots." Things like hand drawn animation, animated shorts staring Mickey and the gang, and of course the Disney nature documentary. Slowly, one by one, these things have been snuffed out to reveal Iger's true plans, to distance the company from it's past and turn it into something completely unrecognizable. It can (and is) argued as to if that is a good thing or not, but I think the (possible?) end of the DisneyNature label is not so surprising.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________
    SAVE THE DISNEY AFTERNOON! SAVE THE DISNEY TREASURES! Join Open Vault Disney!

I, too, noticed that there was no mention of what next year's documentary will be. Though, having seen all the previous four, I hope there will be one.

Working against there being one is that Disney is seemingly the only film studio that is still releasing nature documentaries. Warner Brothers last year, for the first time I know, did release a nature documentary about elephants, one week before the Walt Disney Company released theirs. But this year, nothing, as far as I know.

On the other hand, working for there being one next year, of the four nature documentaries released so far by the Walt Disney Company, I believe this year's nature documentary on chimpanzees grossed more at the boxoffice than any of the previous three.

So, I guess we will just have to wait to see what we shall see as the days get closer to next year's Earth Day.

• Seasick

Did these ever become more than a repackaging of the planet earth television series? Why would I pay to watch a truncated version of a TV series?

Considering the success of planet eart and Life, there is a market for original nature programming, but perhaps theatrical releases were not the best choice.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    Did these ever become more than a repackaging of the planet earth television series? Why would I pay to watch a truncated version of a TV series?
    Just the first movie (earth) had scenes from Planet earth.

• Banned User

I sure hope that Disneynature isn't going away, especially so soon after it began! I don't think it's been marketed as much or as effectively as it could be, though. I think Disney should make a more solid long term commitment to providing educational products like the Disneynature films, and even expanding the brand beyond theatrical films and into TV documentary projects & series, possibly including some joint ventures with Discovery Communications, the BBC, and/or other media companies that produce similar products.

I think a Disneynature cable channel would be terrific, too; a nice place to showcase not only new Disneynature films and other projects, but also the classic Disney documentaries such as the True Life Adventures and People & Places series. It'd be nice to see the Disneynature brand establishing a greater presence at the parks as well (Tomorrowland, Animal Kingdom, Epcot, etc.). Lots of opportunity for all kinds of terrific projects (not just a place to sell some DVDs, either).

They just need somebody in charge of Disneynature who has a huge passion for what they do, and will fight for the brand. Iger would be beyond pathetic if he killed it off now, so soon in its infancy, when it has so much potential to become a significant brand for the company and a major revenue stream.

EDIT: Actually, Wikipedia's page for Disneynature has a table showing all the Disneynature films that have been made (two of which, 2009's The Crimson Wing: Mystery of the Flamingos and 2011's Pollen, have yet to be released in the US, for reasons unknown). Although budget info for African Cats and Chimpanzee are not shown, worldwide gross for the films that have been released in the US is, and it would appear that all these films are making money (in the case of both Earth and Oceans, they've made very impressive profits, which, for documentary films, is no small accomplishment, in any day and age). In fact, Chimpanzee had the best opening weekend of any nature documentary EVER ($10.2 million). Given the colossal failure of John Carter and other non-documentary Disney films, and considering that Disneynature is really more of a distribution label than an actual production company (the films themselves are actually produced by various independent production companies, which makes it less expensive overall for WDC), it'd be a very foolish business decision if Iger were to suddenly shutter the Disneynature label (which is headquartered in Paris, France - an interesting arrangement, really).
    Last edited by Retrocool; 07-11-2012 at 05:15 AM.