• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

The dark mysterious disney dungeons (vaults)

Howdy Pards,

Have you ever noticed how the accountants and marketeers at Disney quite often banish the most delightful of Disney characters and stories to the Dungeons?

Before they do however they thrill in dangling them before the public with a sinister snicker and say something like, "Would you like to save this cute little deer? Well, you'd better hurry...cause we plan on banishing it to the vaults on the last day of this month and who knows when, if ever, you will see it again in your lifetime?"

Now, it's not just deer, of course, that have been banished to those dark dungeons of Disney...no ...sometimes those beautiful princesses, including the fairest one of all, have been locked up in there! And puppets who dream of being a real boy, and big loveable bears, and...well...it doesn't seem to matter to these "accountants and marketeers"...they don't seem to care at all, which leads me to wonder if they may have been trained by Maleficent or that big feller from Fantasia...what was his name again? Oh yes, Tchernobog...remember him?

I suppose that banishing these wonderful films from the public has it's purposes...purposes pertaininng to increasing the bottom line. The problem comes when they put a wonderful film in there and simply forget about it...Song of the South comes to mind.

Bob Iger has proclaimed from the throne room that it shall never be released again...kinda like that skeleton who wanted a drink in the dungeons of Snow White's mother, the Evil Queen...remember that?

So...innocent little deer, princesses, wise old storytellers, puppets who dream of one day being a real boy...they've all been locked away in the Disney dungeons...along with many, many others. Cruel? Of course it is. And pay no attention to that sinister laugh you hear when the vault doors slam shut...it's...it's for their own good you know...

No one really knows where these vaults are...let alone the keys...except those people Mr. Iger has labeled his "top executives"...kinda like Maleficent's pet bird and...uh..."other creatures"...the laugh sounds purty much like that, too, come to think of it.

Not all corners of the castle are enchanted in a positive way it seems... Rusty keys and locks hold wonderful characters and their stories...out of view, out of mind, hidden away in those dark, mysterious, locked, Disney Dungeons...

Now, that's not to say that Merlin, Flora, Fauna, Merryweather, the Fairy Godmother, the Blue Fairy, and Tinkerbell haven't been working on it mind you...they have. But...the forces of evil...they seem even stronger than they used to be these days... Still, over there by that little window a small cricket named Jiminy is faithfully looking up at that star and singing his song of hope...maybe someday...

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 04-29-2012 at 05:39 PM.

Re: The dark mysterious disney dungeons (vaults)

Wild Ol' Dan - you slay me :-) .... Take a look at this web page...

Management Team | The Walt Disney Company

Do any of the people on this page look really look they give a horses behind about characters? These are business people making business decisions and they are fiercely protective of their properties and copyrights. If keeping a movie in the "Disney vault" for a designated cycle increases the value of the property then it seems like a prudent business decision. Every time a movie gets released from the "vault" the market re-opens that way movies that are decades old are constantly being repackaged for a new audience. They are kept fresh, they are kept special. Snow White is a far more valuable property than Citizen Kane or Gone with the Wind. You can find copies of those classics on the cheap. Snow White, Pinocchio, and the rest retain a high market value simply because at times, a spanking new copy is very difficult to come by.

Look at that web page again. In the top left it says The Walt Disney Company. Everywhere else on the page, there is very little Walt. Its just Disney, a corporate brand name. Walt Disney has left the building. You can find him in a museum in San Francisco.

What's the most profitable part of the Disney Company. Movies? Not even close though the company will take a financial hit over John Carter. Theme parks? Guess again. Most of Disney's money is made from ad revenue and that revenue is primarily generated from ESPN and the family of Disney Channels.

These people only look at the artistic, legacy side of the company in terms of dollars and cents. Certainly there are creative people involved with the company, brilliant creative people, but it is a bean-counters world.

You can't fight it. You can't change it. Don Quixote fighting windmills with an umbrella.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

Howdy DisneylandTraveler,

"These people only look at the artistic, legacy side of the company in terms of dollars and cents. Certainly there are creative people involved with the company, brilliant creative people, but it is a bean-counters world.

You can't fight it. You can't change it. Don Quixote fighting windmills with an umbrella."

Anyone who has ever studied the history of the Walt Disney Company knows that Walt Disney always had a particular fondness in his heart for Bankers and Accountants and such..."bean-counters" as you call them.

In fact, I recall a little joke about a man with a wooden leg named Smith...

"You can't fight it. You can't change it. Don Quixote fighting windmills with an umbrella."

I've always kinda liked ol' Don. Now there's a feller who never let the realities of the world get in the way of his vision...

Seriously though, those fellers on that website you found...boy oh boy...they sure do look official. So
    'xactly which one of those critters is holdin' the keys to those dark, mysterious dungeons below?

Funny how the "creative" side...the "Walt" side if you will, was always touchin' the heart, capturin' the imagination stirrin' up new and exciting projects for the future...

Roy...who headed up the financial side of the business back in those good ol' days...had the wisdom to
    do everything he could to make his brother's dreams come true. Why? Well, I spose cause he loved him first...and he also noticed that his brother's ideas were makin' him rich beyond his wildest dreams.

Today's "corporate leadership"...well, they don't seem to understand what Roy did. Nope, as you say, they are purty much content to make money off commercials on some sports thing and...well...lip gloss and pink and blue toys for sale on the Disney Channel. Somebody oughta create a thread about fixin' the Disney Channel by the way...

Ahhh...bean counters. Nice ties. Don't you think? Meanwhile, Merlin, Flora, Fauna, Merryweather, the Fairy Godmother, the Blue Fairy, Tinkerbell and others are still down there in those dungeons still workin' on it while Jiminy continues to look up towards that star...

"You can't fight it." you say. I wonder what Roy would think of the fact that they have removed the name Walt? Do you think he might have had an opinion on the matter?

Anyways...back to Don Quixote fighting windmills with an umbrella. I've always kinda admired him.

So...which one of those folks with the nice lookin' ties and things has the keys to that Disney Dungeon? I'll pass the information on to Merlin... I've discovered a portal...yes...I know exactly where that portal is too!

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 04-30-2012 at 09:47 AM.

• The Steampunk Dread Baron

If I remember right, the whole Vault thing is a continuation of Disney's old theatrical re-release schedule that was a hold over from the pre-betamax days.

The fountain of youth really is in Florida... thats why they built Walt Disney World where they did.

Quote Originally Posted by seafaring_ghost View Post
    If I remember right, the whole Vault thing is a continuation of Disney's old theatrical re-release schedule that was a hold over from the pre-betamax days.
    Howdy Seafaring_ghost,

Tis true.

The key word though...is re-release. So...when, exactly does Mr. Iger plan to re-release Song of the South? Shortly before he died in 1948 a gentleman named James Baskett won a special Academy Award. Inscribed on that award were the following words:

"To James Baskett for his able and heart-warming characterization of Uncle Remus, friend and story teller to the children of the world in Walt Disney's "Song of the South."

That same year, an Academy Award for Best Song was awarded for the song Mr. Baskett sang..."Zip-a-dee-do-dah."

I believe it is a dis-honor to the memory of the very first black man to ever be presented an Academy Award to lock away his work for all time.

I believe Song of the South should be re-released in theaters throughout the world...then put on DVD and Blu-ray for ALL THE WORLD including, and, perhaps, especially the United States of America.

And...I believe Mr. Baskett should be presented with the DISNEY LEGEND AWARD...an honor long, long
    overdue.

And...I believe WALT DISNEY would be in full 100% support of all these matters having personally selected Mr. Baskett for the role of Uncle Remus himself...

The vaults were never intended to be used to hide an excellent performer and performance away for all time... It is time to honor Mr. Baskett. It's time to unlock the chains...and put a much deserved spotlight on a truly heartwarming, Acadamy Award winning performance...not that I have a strong opinion on the matter mind you...that should be kinda obvious...

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 05-14-2012 at 08:08 PM.