Frankenweenie: Perhaps A Little Too Far Out There?

I've seen The Avengers twice in 3D which gave me the opportunity to see the Disney/Tim Burton Frankenweenie October release trailer twice. I don't know. One of my jobs is to speak with computer professionals in their company orientation and I am always impressed by their capabilities. This past week I worked with an individual who was able to think inside and outside the box simultaneously and created a unique perspective but not easily acceptable in the mainstream. So I get the same impression with Frankenweenie. Is it a little too far out of the box for the mainstream? I think if I wanted to play it safe and I were Alan Horn new Walt Disney Studios Chairman, I may send this one straight to video and find a safer market there. Just a thought.

Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

• Halloween 2011

Re: Frankenweenie: Perhaps A Little Too Far Out There?

It's Burton (even though it isn't). For those not completely fed up with his over-use of Depp and Bonham-Carter, who perhaps still have a major jones for Nightmare Before Christmas, this will do quite well. I predict it will bring in greater revenues than John Carter.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Might be out there...but it's coming out near Halloween and will that's a good time for more "spooky" movies and this is a family films so I think it will attract a good amount of people......another movie that is out there that I'm more looking forward too its Paranorman

This movie has bomb written ALL over it (see Coraline, Monster House and Dark Shadows).
    The ONLY thing going for it, is it's release time. So it MAY get a return on it's investment.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Comparing this to Coraline seems rather unfair, as that's a rather loved film and zero percent similar to the general Burton aesthetic/story type (and granted, I know nothing about the fiscal or box office returns on it compared to projections for the sake of clarity).

What I think the problem with Frankenweenie is, is the fact Burton already made this story into a movie, in 92/93. It was live action, half an hour in length and same title and story. Remaking it himself seems silly, and I've got zero interest in modern Burton take on a film he already made (that I quite liked) which just got 'padded' from original runtime because he felt like he could. Seems self-indulgent and like a waste of time to me. Rather than feeling out there, given his recent films and fact he already made this, it seems predictable Burton-cliche and 'safe'. Boring. And this from someone who outright loves 4 Burton movies I can think of right now (Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Ed Wood, Sleepy Hollow, Big Fish).

• insert snarky title here

Coraline made $124 million. Monster House made $140 million.

• Ravenclaw

the original Frankenweenie was made in 1984 as a short film, and Burton was fired after Disney saw it.
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Hmmm, this film, has two shorts in one: the animation style of Vincent and the story of (Live Action) Frankenweenie. I too saw it twice before each showing of the Avengers, and I like it. Let's hope Marketing doesn't kill it.

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.