Guillermo Del Toro's Haunted Mansion is still in development according to various online info dating back to 2011 -

MTV News first heard about the project from the "Pacific Rim" director at the
2010 San Diego Comic-Con (this is true & everyone raved about the Hatbox Ghost illustration( and he hasn't stopped gushing about it since.

"We're on the second draft of the screenplay," he said. "We have a huge show-and-tell series of boards. We have about 40 pieces of art."
Fun fact about Del Toro: he's obsessed with Disneyland's The Haunted Mansion ride. It's to the point that he has been collecting vast amount of artifacts and memorabilia from the ride for the past 10 years, and is planning on using its little-known cult favorite character the Hat Box Ghost as his movie's villain. Therefore, pre-production for his take on "The Haunted Mansion" (let's pretend the Eddie Murphy version never happened) is a dream come true for the director.He said that he and his team have been in "fluid contact" with the Imagineers at Disney in order to make sure his movie is faithful to the mythology of the ride. Needless to say, it's been a slow process."We went through a lot of the original art for the design of the mansion, we went to the Disney archives and I really would have loved to have done a little bit of swindling, but I was being watched," del Toro said with a laugh. "We explored the mansion by foot at 5am in the morning. We took two hours, went behind the scenes. I went insane. It's one of the happiest days of my life."But he's not the only director in Hollywood trying his hand at a movie inspired by Disney's beloved themeparks! Jon Favreau. is said to be on pre-production on a flick based on Disney World's Magic Kingdom (Del Toro said he wouldn't be against trying to have some crossover between their films)."I told Jon that if he can use some of the stuff, and I can use some of his stuff, and make it a cohesive universe, that would be fantastic," he said.

I would <3 to see this film come out, but I respect the fact it needs to come out with the Walt Disney Co giving it 110% precise promotion (don't pull a John Carter on us) where its not competing with their in production blockbusters ....

C J

Name:  haunted_mansion_660.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  47.2 KB