Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Frankenweenie' Finally Unleashed

Despite being hailed as "The Best Animated Film Of The Year" by Time magazine 'Frankenweenie' arrived modestly:

The news wasn't so good for Tim Burtonís 3D black-and-white, stop-motion-animated Frankenweenie, which debuted to $11.5 million, well less than the $15 million to $20 million that Disney had hoped for. The pic, hurt by the continued strength of Hotel Transylvania, only managed a fifth-place finish.

Frankenweenie -- an homage to author Mary Shelley's Frankenstein -- is a remake of Burton's 1984 short film about a boy who brings his dog back to life with unintended consequences. The film garnered glowing reviews, and a B+ CinemaScore.

Disney, which produced the film for $39 million, believes word-of-mouth will be strong heading into the Halloween stretch, resulting in a steady flow of moviegoers. Of those turning out opening weekend, 56 percent were families, and 32 percent were couples.

"Because of the stop-motion and the black and white, the casual moviegoer might need permission to see this film," said Disney executive vp distribution Dave Hollis.

Frankenweenie did solid business in Imax theaters, which accounted for $1.3 million in business domestically. The film begins rolling out overseas next weekend.
    Box Office Report: 'Taken 2' Dazzles With $105 Mil Worldwide, Among Top October Debuts - The Hollywood Reporter
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: 'Frankenweenie' Finally Unleashed

And sadly it will lose more stream once Paranormal 4 comes out

thats sad although the people i know that saw it said it was awesome. co-worker here said she and her kids loved it.

I cant believe Hotel Transylvania is doing so well the same person that just saw Frankenweenie said that she and her kids walked out and asked for a refund when they saw Hotel transylvania

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    And sadly it will lose more stream once Paranormal 4 comes out
    That film is rated R and is targeted at the 17-24 demo and doesn't open until the 19th.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I cant believe Hotel Transylvania is doing so well the same person that just saw Frankenweenie said that she and her kids walked out and asked for a refund when they saw Hotel transylvania
    Side note: did they get their money back? I wondered if one doesn't like the movie and asks for a refund, if it's refunded.

I wanted to see Frankenweenie its opening weekend in 3D but my apartment community gave residents a great deal to see the movie on the 17th at a local theatre for $5 each person plus a free drink and small popcorn. I took advantage of that as it will total only $10 for my son and I to see Frankenweenie and get two drinks and two small popcorns

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    That film is rated R and is targeted at the 17-24 demo and doesn't open until the 19th.
    Taken 2.....rated R....yet it took the box office....unless Frankenweeine gets lucky like Kicka** the movie did then it just going to make less money each week from now

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Taken 2.....rated R....yet it took the box office....unless Frankenweeine gets lucky like Kicka** the movie did then it just going to make less money each week from now
    Missed the point. Of course 'Taken 2' was #1, it's a sequel to a surprise box office hit and has terrific basic cable viewership on FX. You suggested that 'PA4' was 'Frankenweenie's main rival.

As mentioned in the OP the similarly rated/family-targeted 'Hotel Transylvania' is the film's actual competition at this point. The studio is obviously hoping the positive word-of-mouth will extend the film's life as it were.

Until beginning of next month when 'Wreck-It-Ralph' finally checks in!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^I was just saying that Paranormal will still be taking people away since if you get a choose many teens might have seen Frankenweenie for Halloween and some will want to see the new Horror Movie instead

This movie just got screwed coming out against all the movies it going again if it came out say the beginning of next year I think it would have made more like the Loarx did

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

In it's 2nd weekend in theatres: $6.7 million with an estimated cume of $21.7 million.

My son loved Frankenweenie. My wife and I loved it too. I thought it was his best movie since Nightmare. There were some strange things with the story, but the pacing was good and the movie made me laugh out loud several times and cry a couple of times.

Gonna See Frankenweenie tonight! Very excited but sad I didn't get my Sparky Plushie in time

*Edit: Sparky Plushie is being purchased as I type and will be waiting for me before I get to movie. The boy will be SO excited!
    Last edited by clara; 10-17-2012 at 10:46 AM.

I enjoyed it enough. It had some dark themes and some "ah!" moments but my 8 year old handled it. A kid sitting behind us, however, made his mom leave through half the movie right after the "jumpy" parts. It might be to startling from some kids, depends on the child.

But Sparky loved it!

• Doombuggy Rider

I <3 'd FRANKENWEENIE (& so did my 6 & 8 year old Nephews) ... one minor complaint? It really didn't need to be delivered to cinemas in 3-D (I saw it again in 2-D and didn't see the difference) & its not a movie for toddlers (it is rated PG) so please leave the toddlers @ home (kids crying in cinemas = big pet peeve) ...

Maybe it's time for Walt Disney Pictures to quit relying on up charged 3-D ticket prices and start doing better marketing (FRANKENWEENIE isn't getting the quality marketing campaign that it should, in my opinion, but there is plenty of cute merchandise inside Disney Stores now) ...

C J

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

Quote Originally Posted by darkamor View Post
    Maybe it's time for Walt Disney Pictures to quit relying on up charged 3-D ticket prices and start doing better marketing (FRANKENWEENIE isn't getting the quality marketing campaign that it should, in my opinion, but there is plenty of cute merchandise inside Disney Stores now)
    In the Disney Outlet Store near me, they were selling no Frankenweenie merchandise. None. I know its an outlet store but I frequent this store often and they are always filled with the latest movie items even though it is an outlet store. I called to ask if they had the Sparky plushie I have pictured above with the Frankenweenie poster and the nice girl immediantly said, "we don't have any frankenweenie merchanidse".

But we got the plushie at Toys R Us and they were selling a handful of the little toy figurines as well. So I agree with you there.

• Doombuggy Rider

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    In the Disney Outlet Store near me, they were selling no Frankenweenie merchandise. None. I know its an outlet store but I frequent this store often and they are always filled with the latest movie items even though it is an outlet store. I called to ask if they had the Sparky plushie I have pictured above with the Frankenweenie poster and the nice girl immediantly said, "we don't have any frankenweenie merchanidse".

But we got the plushie at Toys R Us and they were selling a handful of the little toy figurines as well. So I agree with you there.

I'm in Las Vegas & the TARGET near me is loaded with FRANKENWEENIE merchandise. Although the Disney Store here had some FRANKENWEENIE merchandise, they didn't have everything that you will find online @ disneystore.com (Epic Fail @ promoting a film) & they had more merchandise to promote WRECK IT RALPH (which looks like a cute film, but WTF?) ....

Why not promote a Film that's already in theatres vs. ignoring it & promoting a film that hasn't been released yet? - No wonder FRANKENWEENIE isn't getting stronger box office (once again, Walt Disney Pictures is "pulling a John Carter" & I think whomever is running that division needs to step down)! Inquiries with Disney Store Staff about more FRANKENWEENIE merchandise didn't help (I was told that I would find more online, or @ Hot Topic - good grief, no wonder I shop online 99% of the time)! ....

If the Walt Disney Co truly cared they would pay attention to the compliments & criticism (& they would put Walt back in Disney before the film starts) -

C J

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast