View Poll Results: What did you think of Oz - The Great and Powerful?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Emeralds - Delightfully Wicked

10 25.64%
  • 4 Emeralds - A fantastic return over the Rainbow

17 43.59%
  • 3 Emeralds - Needed a little more Courage

8 20.51%
  • 2 Emeralds - If it only had a Brain

1 2.56%
  • 1 Emerald - Drop a house on it

3 7.69%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• keh!

re: Oz - The Great and Powerful (2013) Chat and Reviews (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Mila wasn't very good without witch make up. As a witch, not as realistic as the one in 1939.
    Wow, spoiling it for others already. I expected that on Reddit but not here.

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,

Well...I just returned from seeing this film in IMAX 3D...and let me at once say that you should pay absolutely no attention whatsoever to any critic who pans this film or speaks in anyway negative about it. They are either:

1. Grouchy old people who are in desperate need of a hug.
    2. Intellectual snobs with ulterior motives.
    3. Not to be trusted.
    4. Just plain wrong.

The truth of the matter is that this is a wonderful, delightful, incredible, spectacular, heartwarming journey into a land of true enchantment. Prepare to have your heart stolen
    by a little china doll. Prepare to love a loyal monkey servant with wings. Prepare to go
    behind the scenes as a magician experiences the magic of believing...in himself and others.
    Prepare to fall in love with Glinda. Prepare to understand the reason the Wicked Witch of the West became wicked. Prepare for adventure along the yellow brick road. Prepare to believe.

This, my friends, in spite of anything you might read or hear to the contrary, will become an instant classic...beloved forever. I just saw the thing on the IMAX screen and can't wait for it to come out on Blu-ray...and...yes...long before it does I will probably be returning to the movie theater to see it again and again.

Walt would be proud. And this film is indeed worthy of the name Disney.

Whatever you do...go see this movie! Prepare to be amazed!

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Ol' Dan View Post
    Any critic who pans this film or speaks in anyway negative about it. They are either:

3. Not to be trusted.
    4. Just plain wrong.
    Your opinion, sir. I wanted to like the movie but it was weak.

• Banned User

Question Oz the Great and Powerful Review

So I just watched Oz the Great and Powerful, and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the film (kinda a surprise given the reviews). I didn't think that James Franco could pull it off, but his acting was quite good and everything gelled at the end of the film. The biggest surprise was the humor, which didn't slow down the action and was quite good. I was sort of "meh" on an Oz ride/land . . . but I really liked the film and hope they do a sequel, so not sure now if I want Oz over Lone Ranger (if they do a land/attraction). There was a Lone Ranger trailer in front of Oz, got a 'Batman' type vibe with this other film, so maybe Disney will have two large hits on their hands this year.

What do you think?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Surprised to see Disney so confident before seeing the box office, but it appears they are ready to greenlight another chapter of OZ.

Disney Planning ‘Oz the Great and Powerful’ Sequel (EXCLUSIVE) | Variety

Your opinion, sir. I wanted to like the movie but it was weak.
    Seconded.

I went into this film open minded, and really REALLY wanted to love it. I adore Mila Kunis, and I really wanted to be sold on the visuals. But I wasn't. The Human/China Doll interactions were inconsistent, and in this day and age of technology i honestly expected more of it. The doll was lifted easily by a palm one time, and by two hands and seemingly weighty the next time. I don't know why that was enough to take me out of it, but it did.

Also, obvious 3D gimmicks get old after a while. Use 3D as a subtle way to enhance the depth of your image, and it's wonderful. Cheap 3D hats and props flying "directly" at you? Pass. Also, it almost seemed more like James Franco in Wonderland when he first landed in Oz, too much time was spent showing off the visuals of the flowers (which are really what I'd hoped Tim Burton's Wonderland would have looked like.

The actors themselves were fine. However every time Mila was off screen but speaking, all I could think was "Shut up, Meg!" (in a loving way, of course ).

All that being said, it was OK. Not horrendously awful, but it was alright. I'd feel comfortable taking a middle schooler to go see it. Overall though, I'd rather go watch Wicked for a 6th time.

• Banned User

Re: Oz the Great and Powerful Review

WRONG FORUM there's already a thread on this film under MOVIES
    I'm asking specifically if people's review of the film changes their hopes regarding an attraction at Disneyland Resort. It kinda changed my mind as I thought that while the visuals were interesting, the story was a whole lot better than I thought and the characters are likable, even Franco, so I'm more upbeat about an attraction.

Also, I would add that the movie really meshes a lot better with the Wizard of Oz than I thought, perhaps making it better than the Wicked movie will be (previously I thought Disney was just trying to ride the Wicked wave).

So for people who have seen the film (and most likely liked it), do you want an attraction/land?

• Evil is Sexy

I've always adored the Wizard of Oz series, so I would not be opposed to an attraction for Fantasyland.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• formerly very helpful

I haven't seen the flick, yet, but I want to. And I really want to enjoy it.
    That said, assuming I think it's a great movie and I end up liking it so much I buy the DVD, then if given the choice, I really wouldn't want to see an attraction based on Oz.
    My reasoning is really more about where it would fit and still maintain the continuity of the theme. Yes, they could put it in Frontierland, disguising the exterior as the western-ish setting of the "real world", but there's a part of me that feels Frontierland should reflect more of the authentic/realistic west. (Yes, that includes getting rid of Woody, if I had my choice.)
    I'd also LOVE to see them build creative attractions NOT based on movies, but purely original. Hopefully they'll get past this current trend of basing everything on pre-existing properties.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

http://micechat.com/forums/movies/17...ul-2013-a.html

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    I'm asking specifically if people's review of the film changes their hopes regarding an attraction at Disneyland Resort.
    Oh, well in that case:

Wizard of Oz vs. Lone Ranger for Circle D/BTR BBQ Expansion

• Sshhh, being very quiet

I didn't think that James Franco could pull it off, but his acting was quite good and everything gelled at the end of the film.
    I'm going to see it in about 3 hours but the James Franco part of this movie worries me. I don't think he can act. But that is SOOO just me. I leave my mind open for his performance in Oz. Thanks for the review. It leaves me hopeful.

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Oz - The Great and Powerful (2013) Chat and Reviews (Merged)

Added a poll for your enjoyment.

Howdy California Adventurer,

As I said,

Well...I just returned from seeing this film in IMAX 3D...and let me at once say that you should pay absolutely no attention whatsoever to any critic who pans this film or speaks in anyway negative about it. They are either:

3. Not to be trusted.
    4. Just plain wrong.

Judging by your comment I would put you in category 4. But, the truth is, you are not the only critic in that category... The film was made in "Pure Michigan"... it seems that a whole lotta films are being made as far away from Hollywood and California as filmmakers can get these days... Nobody ever accused the film makin' folks in Hollywood, California of being pure these days...no...not by a long shot.

I suggest you go back and see the movie again...there was nothing weak about it.

But, as you say, that is...indeed... my "opinion"...

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Well in these areas, I found it wanting:

Special effects: Weak, not seamless
    Acting: Weak, not powerful
    Story: Weak, not engaging
    Direction: Fair, but too many 3-D gags, like its "Honey I Shrunk the Audience" not a real movie.

So I just watched Oz the Great and Powerful, and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the film (kinda a surprise given the reviews). I didn't think that James Franco could pull it off, but his acting was quite good and everything gelled at the end of the film. The biggest surprise was the humor, which didn't slow down the action and was quite good. I was sort of "meh" on an Oz ride/land . . . but I really liked the film and hope they do a sequel, so not sure now if I want Oz over Lone Ranger (if they do a land/attraction). There was a Lone Ranger trailer in front of Oz, got a 'Batman' type vibe with this other film, so maybe Disney will have two large hits on their hands this year.

What do you think?
    Howdy chesirecat,

I hope the Lone Ranger is worthy of being a "hit". I know OZ The Great and Powerful is.
    And it will have incredible box office!

So, to answer your question, my guess would be that yes indeed Disney will have two HUGE hits on their hands this year.

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast