View Poll Results: What did you think of Oz - The Great and Powerful?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Emeralds - Delightfully Wicked

10 25.64%
  • 4 Emeralds - A fantastic return over the Rainbow

17 43.59%
  • 3 Emeralds - Needed a little more Courage

8 20.51%
  • 2 Emeralds - If it only had a Brain

1 2.56%
  • 1 Emerald - Drop a house on it

3 7.69%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Oz - The Great and Powerful (2013) Chat and Reviews (Merged)

If they spent "Harry Potter" dollars to make Oz and this is what they came up with, then those dollars were not spent as wisely, the material isn't as rich, or the cast and crew isn't as talented. Because it's really not even comparable, it won't generate the kind of fan frenzy or box office for Disney. It just cost the same.

I don't expect really big box office for Oz, and I can't say for The Lone Ranger without seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Ol' Dan View Post
    Howdy Pards,

Well...I just returned from seeing this film in IMAX 3D...and let me at once say that you should pay absolutely no attention whatsoever to any critic who pans this film or speaks in anyway negative about it. They are either:

1. Grouchy old people who are in desperate need of a hug.
    2. Intellectual snobs with ulterior motives.
    3. Not to be trusted.
    4. Just plain wrong.

The truth of the matter is that this is a wonderful, delightful, incredible, spectacular, heartwarming journey into a land of true enchantment. Prepare to have your heart stolen
    by a little china doll. Prepare to love a loyal monkey servant with wings. Prepare to go
    behind the scenes as a magician experiences the magic of believing...in himself and others.
    Prepare to fall in love with Glinda. Prepare to understand the reason the Wicked Witch of the West became wicked. Prepare for adventure along the yellow brick road. Prepare to believe.

This, my friends, in spite of anything you might read or hear to the contrary, will become an instant classic...beloved forever. I just saw the thing on the IMAX screen and can't wait for it to come out on Blu-ray...and...yes...long before it does I will probably be returning to the movie theater to see it again and again.

Walt would be proud. And this film is indeed worthy of the name Disney.

Whatever you do...go see this movie! Prepare to be amazed!

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Pretty much this. The reviews scared me. BUT the movie was very well made and enjoyable... The storyline was a little predictable, but other than that it was a fantastic movie! Mila Kunis did a great job playing Theadora and Rachel Weisz, Evanorna, did a brilliant job! The special effects were great and if you're a fan of the original 1939 classic then you'll be sure to spot lots of "reminders" of it. James Franco was the actor I was worried about most, but in my opinion he did a wonderful job potraying the wonderful wizard of Oz.
    Go and see the movie to make your own judgement ~

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I don't expect really big box office for Oz, and I can't say for The Lone Ranger without seeing it.
    As little interest I have in seeing Oz, my interest in The Lone Ranger is FAR lower.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

I just got back from it...and I have a "meh" feeling about it. I don't like the storyline they chose but actually thought James Franco did pretty good.

The above is ONLY my opinion.

• No Disassemble!

I just got back from watching it. Fans of Sam Raimi (like me) will absolutely love Oz the Great and Powerful. About three quarters into the movie I came under the realization that Oz's story progression & cadence is a nearly identical parallel to Raimi's other epic film "Army of Darkness" and upon that realization I threw my arms up and went "wheee" and enjoyed the rest of the ride even more than I did when the film started.

This film must be watched in 3D, IMAX if possible but not necessary. Raimi took a lot of his signature camera twists and turns and masterfully worked them into the 3D realm. Again, quite the treat for fans of his movies.

The one criticism I'd give is that the acting was weak in some key roles. Mila Kunis' performance was very weak. I think she would have nailed the role if she had exaggerated more like she typically does on Robot Chicken. James Franco's performance was awkward up until the last half hour of the film where he played the whole Ash Williams "housewares" role pretty well. Billy Crystal was O.K. ... wait, you mean Zach Braff was the monkey? On a positive note I thought that Rachel Weisz, Michelle Williams, and especially Tony Cox's performances were awesome and the Bruce Campbell cameo made me cheer out loud in the theater.

Sadly, I think that this movie will fall to obscurity quicker than it really deserves to. The troubling thing that I noticed was that kids were absolutely terrified of some of the scares that Raimi produced in the film. A boy in front of me who looked like he was 10 or 12ish ran out crying at one point. I can see the "mommy boards" on Monday being flooded with threads suggesting parents keep their kids away from the movie. Disney fans will like it, Raimi fans will swoon over it, and the general public won't know what the heck they just watched. The movie may break even but I don't see it being a hit.
    Last edited by G24T; 03-08-2013 at 11:29 PM.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    I just got back from it...and I have a "meh" feeling about it. I don't like the storyline they chose but actually thought James Franco did pretty good.

The above is ONLY my opinion.
    No, it's not your opinion... You have to select from the following:

3. Not to be trusted.
    4. Just plain wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    As little interest I have in seeing Oz, my interest in The Lone Ranger is FAR lower.
    Yep: Here's how my Disney movie year is shaping up...

Little or No Interest at all:
    Oz The Great and Powerful (Robert Downey Jr. & Johnny Depp both turned this down)
    The Lone Ranger (trailers are really bad)
    Planes (was supposed to go direct to video but someone saw $$$$$)

Can't Wait to See:
    Iron Man 3
    Monsters University
    Thor: The Dark World
    Saving Mr. Banks

Undecided:
    Frozen
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

No, it's not your opinion... You have to select from the following:

3. Not to be trusted.
    4. Just plain wrong.
    Ah ok....then I'll choose #3

because I know that I trust no one myself!
    Last edited by clara; 03-09-2013 at 11:46 AM.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

We're thinking of taking our kids to see this over spring break but now I am a little concerned about whether it will be too scary for our 7yr.old. The rating says PG but ratings today seem a bit off to me. Once Upon a Time is rated PG and I would definitely rate that PG-13. There are things in Once Upon a Time that my 7yr. old cannot handle.

Is Oz that scary?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I've been told I'm #4 but the one with the hug involved sounds more appealing!

I've been told I'm #4 but the one with the hug involved sounds more appealing!
    you grouchy old person!LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbelle View Post
    We're thinking of taking our kids to see this over spring break but now I am a little concerned about whether it will be too scary for our 7yr.old. The rating says PG but ratings today seem a bit off to me. Once Upon a Time is rated PG and I would definitely rate that PG-13. There are things in Once Upon a Time that my 7yr. old cannot handle.

Is Oz that scary?
    There were a few jumping scenes but honestly, they weren't surprising, you were expecting them....I took my 8 year old

Uh and Once Upon a Time is PG to me...nothing scary in that show at all. My kid has been watching that one with me since it first started.

• Minion

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Once Upon a Time not scary? They showed Dr. Whale's severed arm. The whole Frankenstein episode was scary. They thrust their hands into chests and pull out hearts all the time on the show. We just watched the episode with the seer - her looks alone are enough to give young children nightmares. Gold bludgeoned his own leg with a sledge hammer. Hook stabbed Gold in the chest with his hook and they showed the open wound with blood and gunk coming out of it. They threw Snow White's maid out the window and showed her dead body on the sidewalk below. And that is all in just one episode. I could go on and on. Scary stuff happens just about every episode. I guess your 8 yr. old may be a lot more desensitized than my daughter who just turned 7.

So, does Oz have similar stuff? Or is it more tame?

• Minion

Saw the movie today at the El Capitan today. I liked it, although it was a little cheesy at times. I also thought they could have made the wicked witch...well...wickedier. She didn't look as frightening as she did in the original. As for an attraction, i'm not really begging for it, but I'd welcome one if it were to come. There were some attraction worthy moments in the film. I also wouldn't mind the wicked witches and a couple of baboons coming out for halloweentime

couple pictures:

005 by AshtonnothsA, on Flickr

line was llllooonnngggg

006 by AshtonnothsA, on Flickr

look! I made a hidden mickey
    Last edited by imaginashton; 03-09-2013 at 06:38 PM.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast