• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Frozen' breezes in 2013

credit: Jim Finn / Walt Disney Animation Studios
    Visual Development Artist

Disney announced today that the upcoming animated 3D film, 'Frozen' will be co-directed by Jennifer Lee, the first woman to direct an animated feature film for Walt Disney Animation Studios. Lee has contributed to the film's screenplay and was most recently one of the screenwriters of 'Wreck-It Ralph'. She joins veteran director Chris Buck ('Tarzan').

The film's Art Director is Mike Giaimo ('Pocahontas'), Paul Briggs is Head of Story and produced by Peter Del Vecho ('The Princess and the Frog').

As previously reported here, 'Frozen' will be voiced by Kristen Bell ('Veronica Mars', 'House of Lies') and Tony winner Idina Menzel ('Wicked', 'Rent'). The film will feature original music by Tony-winning composer Bobby Lopez ('The Book of Mormon', 'Avenue Q') and his wife composer Kristen Anderson-Lopez ('In Transit'). The couple also provided the music for the studio's 'Winnie The Pooh'.

'Frozen' is set for release on November 27, 2013.
    Last edited by ALIASd; 12-19-2012 at 06:51 PM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Re: 'Frozen' breezes in 2013

Broadway star and Tony nominee for 'Spring Awakening' Jonathan Groff has signed to voice the lead character of Kristof in 'Frozen'.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Cool Yule

Now I've seen the cast, including the lastest addition of Groff, I can say I'm getting quite excited for this.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

I am very excited to see this movie. I can't wait. :]

•   
    • Banned User

Music by the guy who did Avenue Q? Okay, now I'm sold. "The Internet is for Po..." Wait, what? I'm sure he'll keep this one family friendly.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Last month I attended a special screening at the Los Angeles Film School in Hollywood of 'Wreck-It Ralph' followed by a Q&A with it's screenwriters Jennifer Lee and Phil Johnston.

Afterwards I had the chance to chat with Jennifer, first congratulating her on the official studio announcement of her joining Chris Buck as Co-Directors of 'Frozen'. She was still giddy but also visibily tired as well, noting that the position was a really a seven-day a week job between footage screenings, story meetings and more.

I asked her about some of the key people on the film and she couldn't have been more enthusiastic and generous with compliments for her Head of Story Paul Briggs and Visual Development Artist Brittney Lee among many. As in the Q&A she stressed that 'Frozen' will look unlike any other Disney animated feature, as they are utilizing new techniques developed by the studio. The luminous current short, 'Paperman' is an example of the blending of traditional hand-drawn animation with CG 3-D animation. FYI - the Supervising Animator received a Disney Inventors Award for "System for Tracking 3D Motion to Manipulate 2D Data with Temporal Coherence."