Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Will Disney's The Lone Ranger top John Carter?

I hope Lone Ranger does well for a few nerdy reasons:

1. Western, I love Science Fiction and Fantasy, but gosh darn it we need more Westerns!
    2. LEGO, Lone Ranger's Lego sets are some of the best looking Lego franchised sets in years.
    3. Western!
    4. Trains, Lone Ranger looks like it will have a lot of trains.

However I can't even predict if the film will be good or not. Didn't "industry experts" though say a little 1977 space opera called Star Wars was going to flop? Didn't "experts" tell a certain W. Disney his idea for a theme park would never make it?

Don't trust the experts predictions, they are just as good as ours.

• I am number 4 of 999

I've barely seen the name, "Armie Hammer" come up in this discussion, and THAT is what I think will kill this movie at the box office. The title star isn't noteworthy AT ALL. Everyone is mentioning "Johnny Depp" selling this movie when his character isn't the title character. It's like watching The Little Mermaid for Flounder.

bomb bomb bomb
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

• Heavy Breather

I still think its just Pirates in the old west.

If you look at both Sparrow and Tonto they both seem similar to me

But still, this film may suprise us.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

I waited decades for John Carter and what we got was a confusing mess that sank like a stone with nary a ripple.

I have no opinion on the Lone Ranger. other than no respectable southwestern Indian wears a bird on his head...
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by xboxtravis7992 View Post
    Didn't "industry experts" though say a little 1977 space opera called Star Wars was going to flop? Didn't "experts" tell a certain W. Disney his idea for a theme park would never make it?
    That argument only holds if the writer, producer and director of Lone Ranger have the same creative talent, breadth of vision and willingness to take big risks in 2013 as Walt Disney and George Lucas did with Disneyland in 1955 and Star Wars in 1977... and if the concept of The Lone Ranger is as innovative for our time as Disneyland and Star Wars were for theirs.

Seeing as how Lone Ranger is an old franchise that everyone knows, and its mega-bankable star is Johnny Depp, I don't see the parallel.

At all.

Quote Originally Posted by xboxtravis7992 View Post
    Don't trust the experts predictions, they are just as good as ours.
    True enough.

Then again, everyone I've spoken to about The Lone Ranger has said they busted out laughing the first time they saw Depp's Tonto headdress.

I didn't laugh. Just shook my head and mumbled something like, "You gotta be kidding."

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,

Well, I've watched a few westerns in my time...got some trail dust on my boots you might say...and I'm gonna predict that Disney's Lone Ranger is gonna be huge at the box office.

All you folks predictin' disaster for every Disney Movie that comes out sorta surprises me some. But let me tell ya there's a whole mess of us "old timers" still around...and we grew up on this legend. If they stay true to the legend, and it looks like they are gonna, then this thing is gonna take off.

Frontierland ain't dead yet, pards. It's about to get a new breath of life...maybe even bigger than the days when ol' Davy Crockett and Georgie Russell rode through those parts...and those of us who were around back in those days know that is sayin' somethin'.

From out of the past I hear the thundering hoof beats of the great horse Silver...something mighty big is about to happen. Another blockbuster for Disney and a refreshing return to "those thrilling days of yesteryear."

Hi Oh Silver Away!

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

Howdy Pards,

Well, the ways of the truly Native Americans...like the crow Indian tribe for example...have always seemed kinda strange to us white city slickers from across the big water. Seems the white man has always been just a little too sure of himself...too sophisticated you might say to appreciate the ways of the American Indian.

I hear tell that that was why Johnny Depp wanted to make this movie. He recognized that Tonto was just as much a hero as the Lone Ranger. Millions of us felt that way about Jay Silverheels long years ago. Still do for that matter.

As to the headgear...you fellers may not have seen it...but the headgear is authentic Indian headgear. Given this attention to detail, I'd say all us white fellers might just learn a thing or two from this movie.

Nope, this looks to me like it might just be a whole lot more than just a western adventure film...it might be a lesson for all us overly civilized Europeans on the culture of those who lived here long before we showed up. If, indeed, Johnny Depp has put the heart into it that he envisioned in the first place...I look forward to this return to those thrilling days of yesteryear.

Just a wee bit too many cell phones, laptops, flat screens, lip baum, sun screen lotions, plastic water bottles and other modern comforts around these days to my way of thinkin'.

It will do us all good to be out thar in the middle of Monument Valley ridin' those dusty
    trails with The Lone Ranger and Tonto... Let the adventure begin.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 06-22-2013 at 08:23 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Ol' Dan View Post
    I'm gonna predict that Disney's Lone Ranger is gonna be huge at the box office....
    You say that every time Disney releases a film.

All you folks predictin' disaster for every Disney Movie that comes out sorta surprises me some. But let me tell ya there's a whole mess of us "old timers" still around...and we grew up on this legend. If they stay true to the legend, and it looks like they are gonna, then this thing is gonna take off....
    It's equally surprising that you consistently predict "huge box office" for each release... More so that you think "old timers" will be a formidable audience, particularly since those over 50 see the fewest films in the movie theater. If you saw huge popularity among KIDS for this film, that would be more reassuring.

Another blockbuster for Disney and a refreshing return to "those thrilling days of yesteryear."
    We'll see, but all I'm hearing is optimism from a die hard fan, nothing that leads me to believe the studio will make a lot of money on this.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Howdy Pards,

Well, the ways of the truly Native Americans...like the crow Indian tribe for example...have always seemed kinda strange to us white city slickers from across the big water. Seems the white man has always been just a little too sure of himself...too sophisticated you might say to appreciate the ways of the American Indian....

As to the headgear...you fellers may not have seen it...but the headgear is authentic Crow Indian headgear. Given this attention to detail, I'd say all us white fellers might just learn a thing or two from this movie....

Just a wee bit too many cell phones, laptops, flat screens, lip baum, sun screen lotions, plastic water bottles and other modern comforts around these days to my way of thinkin'.
    That's not exactly true... Depp saw a painting with a crow passing behind the head of a Native American and wanted to make the head dress with a dead crow:

The painting also provided inspiration for Tonto’s headdress. “It just so happened Sattler had painted a bird flying directly behind the warrior’s head. It looked to me like it was sitting on top,” Depp said, which led him to another eureka moment. “I thought: Tonto’s got a bird on his head. It’s his spirit guide in a way. It’s dead to others, but it’s not dead to him. It’s very much alive.”
    Johnny Depp tells EW origins of Tonto makeup from 'Lone Ranger' -- EXCLUSIVE | Inside Movies | EW.com

The American Indian community has been divided over Depp’s Tonto. Leaders from the Navajo Nation visited the Monument Valley set and expressed support for Depp and the filmmakers, and Dana Lone Hill, a writer who identifies as part Lakota, penned an essay saying she intended to give him the benefit of the doubt on adapting the character, since Depp is known for his fanciful and exaggerated performances.

In another column titled “Why Tonto Matters,” Native Appropriations blogger Adrienne K. expressed the frustration echoed by some other Native Americans over Depp’s characterization, saying there are too few authentic portrayals of Native people in pop culture to accept a highly fantasized version.

For his part, Depp has said his motivation to play the character came from disliking how Tonto was relegated to subservience in the old Clayton Moore/Jay Silverheels TV series. While the look may not be historically authentic, Depp wants Tonto’s character to be honorable and self-reliant.
    Oh and what does lip balm and sunscreen have to do with this?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    That argument only holds if the writer, producer and director of Lone Ranger have the same creative talent, breadth of vision and willingness to take big risks in 2013 as Walt Disney and George Lucas did with Disneyland in 1955 and Star Wars in 1977... and if the concept of The Lone Ranger is as innovative for our time as Disneyland and Star Wars were for theirs.

Seeing as how Lone Ranger is an old franchise that everyone knows, and its mega-bankable star is Johnny Depp, I don't see the parallel.

At all.

True enough.

Then again, everyone I've spoken to about The Lone Ranger has said they busted out laughing the first time they saw Depp's Tonto headdress.

I didn't laugh. Just shook my head and mumbled something like, "You gotta be kidding."

Wiggins is winnin

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Ecstatic American Indians Praise 'The Lone Ranger'

'Finally Our Story Is Being Told,' Tribespeople Say

http://www.theonion.com/articles/ecstatic-american-indians-praise-the-lone-ranger,32884/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&ut m_campaign=standard-post:headline:default

Except that this is from satire site THE ONION, it backs up everything Ol' Dan says about the depiction of Native Americans in "Lone Ranger".

Howdy Pards,

I stand by my prediction of the film's financial success.

And, seems every film that Disney puts out this California adventure feller says is gonna be a financial disaster. Even John Carter was not a financial disaster.

As to Indians...I suspect that Edward Curtis may have photographed a few.

This photograph, not a painting, appears to show...well...you can see what it shows...

Still, the entire Lone Ranger Legend...Silver, Silver Bullets, Tonto, Scout and everything about it...is just a legend. A legend that happened to capture the imagination of the entire country from the radio days back in September of 1933 clear up till...well...clear up to today. And, yes, I think the kids...the young ones...will show up for this in huge numbers "No where in the pages of history can one find a greater champion of justice."

Thank you for sayin' I'm an optimist by the way. "No one ever injured their eyesight by looking on the bright side of things."

Wild Ol' Dan

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

First off, neither one of us has any idea if it's going to be a hit, a flop or something between the two.

Secondly, good job on the Native American wearing a dead crow.... There's been some question about whether or not this was authentic.

• Singing Drinker

I'll be honest. After the streak of poor-to-middling "reboots" and remakes that have come lately, this could be Scorsese directing DeNiro, Newman, Connery, Depp and Orson Freaking Wells and I'd still be leery.

The trend of late from Disney Live Action tends either hyper serious (John Carter, Tron) or massive spectacle (POTC, Oz TGAP, Prince of Persia), or the rare arthouse feature. I can't see any of them really working for this character. It fails the serious epic test with the premise - c'mon, this is a guy wearing a disguise Clark Kent would have passed on. A series dedicated to the adventures of White Guy And His Mystic Indian Sidekick kicking butt around the plains. I can't see it working as a massive Bruckheimer-style epic without treading FAR too close to Wild Wild West or (*shudder*) the RDJr Holmes movies. It might work as an arthouse, but that's a much different take on the story.

I'm not sure this is a Disney problem, honestly. I just don't see this movie having a particularly easy time. We're a very cynical culture at the moment and don't have much patience for simplistic movies that are too sunny, and this isn't a story that invites complexity.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Howdy Pards,

Well, reckon I'm kinda simple...surely ain't no intellectual...but I see this new Lone Ranger movie as a refreshing breath of fresh Western air from the folks at Disney.

There is a longin' among a lot of folks in this here big ol' country of ours for a "return to those thrilling days of yesteryear."

We could all do with a week or two of cowboy boot camp...a return to the idea that there is right and there is wrong...taint all that complicated really. We could all do with learnin' how to take care of a horse instead of that electronic gizmo in our hands. We could all do with some good ol' trail dust on our boots...and maybe a bottle of good ol' sarsaparilla instead of that high energy electrolite hydrate beverage in the clear plastic bottle...we could all do with a steak instead of that leafy green salad and fruit they keep pushin' at us... Did ya ever have a sourdough biscuit still warm out of a dutch oven? Or a fresh peach cobbler still warm out of a dutch oven just off the coals of a campfire?

Ever smell bacon fryin' in a pan over an open fire? Ever look at the stars at night without all those city lights around?

The West...the sound of coyotes in the distance...rocky canyons...wide open spaces.

Yep this new Lone Ranger adventure is gonna be like a breath of fresh air...and folks of all ages are gonna flock to it...if for no other reason than to get away from this mind numbing modern world of ours for a couple hours.

Wild Ol' Dan

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast