Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Will Disney's The Lone Ranger top John Carter?

Johnny Depp “Lone Ranger”: Early Bad Reviews Signal Disney Disaster

Is “The Lone Ranger” going to be Disney’s “John Carter” of summer 2013? Yikes. Breaking the review embargo, both Variety and The Hollywood Reporter savage the $200 million plus blockbuster starring Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer, directed by Gore Verbinski. Variety: “…this over-the-top oater delivers all the energy and spectacle audiences have come to expect from a Jerry Bruckheimer production, but sucks out the fun in the process, ensuring sizable returns but denying the novelty value required to support an equivalent franchise…”
    Johnny Depp “Lone Ranger”: Early Bad Reviews Signal Disney Disaster | Showbiz411

• Singing Drinker

From the article: "It does seem like Steven Spielberg and George Lucas’s recent dire predictions are coming true about these $200 million colossuses."

Perhaps true. But I still am firmly of the belief the problem is in the process, not the form.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Senior Minion

"This machine-tooled pomposity is all the more irritating for the few times Verbinski brings a genuine sense of invention to the proceedings (he shoots some of the Monument Valley locations with a comically askew eye that's equal parts Ford and Leone). Or for those rare moments when Depp and Hammer—tossing off a quip or flashing an ingratiating grin—show a flicker of the gleam-in-the-eye ranger spirit. Otherwise, "Kemosabe" and his faithful sidekick can't ride off into the sunset soon enough."
    - Time Out New York

"What there isn't, amongst all these characters and incidents and plot twists, is much fun. The running gags (everyone greets the title character with, "What's with the mask?") get old fast, the talented actors often feel crushed by the material, and the gigantic set pieces don't deliver the awe and wonder you would expect. ..."The Lone Ranger" is a drag as an action movie, it's not funny in its attempts at self-parody, and it feels like a Western made by people working off a checklist of tropes without ever really understanding the genre. Verbinski and his writers have taken a promising idea and put a silver bullet in its head."
    - The Wrap

"T
    he Lone Ranger goes for humour based on the odd-couple relationship between John and Tonto. But Verbinski’s comic timing is leaden, and the two leads don’t display a lot of chemistry, killing much hope for chuckles. ...Repeating the mistake of his Pirates films, Verbinski also overdoes his set pieces, creating such elaborate, effects-heavy sequences that they cease being even remotely believable, substantially limiting audience investment in what’s happening."
    - Screen Daily

"The bloat factor also weighs in after the two-hour mark, at which point there's yet another half-hour to go. Still, the average length of the Pirates films was 149 minutes, precisely the duration of The Lone Ranger, so it wouldn't be surprising if Bruckheimer & Co. decided on this as their ideal running time."
    - Hollywood Reporter

"Let's be clear: this is a terrible film by any standards. Overlong, with a script that reads like a notes session no one ever organized into something coherent, and totally confused about what audience it supposedly plays to, "The Lone Ranger" is grim, ugly, and deeply unpleasant. One thing it fails to be, in any way, is fun, and considering who is involved behind the camera and in front of it, that is truly shocking. If you're a parent and you're debating taking younger kids to this one because it is a Disney fan, let me warn you. This is an R-rated movie that has somehow managed to squeak by with a PG-13. It is startlingly violent, and it seems unaware of just how upsetting much of the imagery is. When you cut from the violent genocide of an entire Indian tribe to a wacky scene with Silver the horse standing on a tree branch and wearing a cowboy hat, it's pretty clear you have no idea what story you're telling or why. ...Someone needs to drag this thing out behind the barn and put a silver bullet in its brain. It's the only kindness this movie deserves."
    - HitFix

'Nuff said.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-01-2013 at 02:03 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,

Well...I, for one, am not going to join in this lynch mob of movie critics. It sure don't sound good when you get a lot of these intellectual know it all's proclaiming death, disaster and worse for a film. You'd almost think they had ulterior motives of some sort...

Kinda discouraging at first...but then I think what would these same fellers have done with the original Lone Ranger? For the most part these young whippersnappers are too young to remember the radio days or the early days of television. They haven't got a clue what those stories were all about...and if they did they would almost assuredly tear them apart using huge intellectual soundin' verbage and the most skilled form of nasal elevation they could possibly drum up.

I went to see John Carter...and thought it was a very good movie in spite of what these fellers said. And, you guessed it, I'm gonna go see this new Lone Ranger movie too. Mostly cause I simply do not trust these critics...and I figure I can make up my own mind thank you.

Now...I may be disappointed. There is no denyin' that... But, then again, I may not.
    I love the West. I know and love the story of the Lone Ranger. I pretty much liked every one of those pirate adventures put out by these fellers. And, I got a feelin' I might just be liking this movie as well.

A friend of mine saw it in an advanced screening and he told me it was "awesome". For some reason or other I am more inclined to believe my friend than any of these fellers who are paid to be snarky about movies.

So...in short...I'll be in the theater Wednesday mornin', saddled up, and ready to ride. And I'll wager a whole mess of other people will as well...

Now, I know what some of you fellers are sayin'..."There that Wild Ol' Dan feller goes again...always the optimist..." Yep. Reckon that's true.

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn
    I can see the campfires smokin at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I think these 'fellers' are getting at a certain point, which is, this is Lone Ranger meets Fast and the Furious. Not Lone Ranger meets Butch Cassidy.

My guess? It's going to be shiny like chrome, polished. Not 'authentic' in the sense of what we have come to expect of films in the Western genre.

• Senior Minion

"At one point in the film, one of the main villains played by William Fichtner cuts a man's heart out of his chest and, in front of the immobilized Lone Ranger, eats it.

I repeat. He cuts the man's heart out. And then he eats it.

And this is a big summer Disney movie? Really?"
    - HitFix

Pass the popcorn.

- Neil Gabler

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    "At one point in the film, one of the main villains played by William Fichtner cuts a man's heart out of his chest and, in front of the immobilized Lone Ranger, eats it.

I repeat. He cuts the man's heart out. And then he eats it.

And this is a big summer Disney movie? Really?"
    - HitFix

Pass the popcorn.
    ...wait, what?

I'm... um... I'm going to side on waiting to hear more. I'm hoping this is a simplified version of a less gory and explicit scene than this makes it sound?

If not... wow.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Senior Minion

"The Lone Ranger may refuse to fire a gun unless absolutely necessary, but the film hardly shares his pacifist philosophy, its abundant carnage ranging from scary carnivorous rabbits to an ambush in which [villain] Butch kills half a dozen Texas Rangers and finishes the job by eating Dan Reid’s heart."
    - Variety

"The Long Ranger is, alas, a runaway train. A filmmaker of great excess, Verbinski's ricocheting whimsy here runs off the rails. Flashback-heavy plot mechanics, occasionally grim violence (bullets land in bodies with the loudest of thwacks, a heart gets eaten) and surrealistic comedy add up to a confused tone that seems uncertain exactly how to position Depp's Tonto in the movie, to say nothing of Armie Hammer's wayward Lone Ranger."
    - TwinCities.com

"...it will be interesting to see what audiences think it when it opens this week. Because so far, the critics haaaate it. In fact, you might say that the hate has been almost Shyamalan-esque. Some of the common threads among the haters (and even the defenders) include a scene where William Fichtner’s bad guy cuts out someone’s heart and eats it (despite it being a PG-13 Disney movie), a general mess of tone, an unnecessary framing device that finds a 100-year-old Tonto delivering the story via flashback to some kid, and a 149-minute running time."
    - Filmdrunk

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-01-2013 at 02:32 PM.

- Neil Gabler

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Well at least this movie's "got heart" right?

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Well at least this movie's "got heart" right?
    No, I'm sorry to say apparently they ate it.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Let's not get into too much spoiler details when predicting whether this will be a flop or not please.

Earlier in this thread, the topic of marketing being its downfall was brought up a handful of times.

Sure the marketing isn't Disney's strongest suit, but is it because of the film that they're promoting or because of how boring the marketing department makes it?

I believe sometimes it goes hand in hand.

Is the marketing negative because people don't like how Johnny Depp looks in it? Or is it negative because it's kind of boring?

What marketing has done well is to tell me that this movie Lone Ranger is out on July 3rd. I also happen to WANT to watch this movie because of who's involved: Gore Verbinski, Johnny Depp, it being a western (Gore also directed the brilliant Rango that won an oscar for best picture).

So whether or not the movie is bad... we'll see. I think critics these days are less accurate about their reviews and just trying to be shock journalists now. To be the first of an extreme. I'll see the movie this week and we'll see how I stand.

I think it'll make more than John Carter though. While this Lone Ranger isn't a buzz word, John Carter had negative buzz due to the title and even worse marketing.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

So far, 16% on Rotten Tomatoes? OUCH

The Lone Ranger - Rotten Tomatoes

But every person that I have talked to, that has seen it, ranged from loving it to really liking it. It feels like the John Carter syndrome all over again. Critics calling out flaws thus talking its potential audience out of seeing it. I mean, when has Joe Moviegoer cared about tonal shifts or framing devices if things blewed up good?

Let's be clear. Looking subjectively at what the critics are saying the movie sounds like a huge, 149 minute, mess. Some might like it though.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

• Senior Minion

I think it's a myth that the main target audience for action-adventure blockbusters like John Carter and The Lone Ranger (the teenage boy demographic) pays any attention to the film critics of the New York Times or Hollywood Reporter. They listen to the buzz from their peers who've seen the film. If the film doesn't deliver the goods (and John Carter didn't), it's reflected at the box office. If the film delivers, it doesn't matter what the critics say.

- Neil Gabler

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

The Lone Ranger is not for kids

I didn't hate The Lone Ranger, though I don't blame anyone who does. To me, it was a spectacle of the macabre, which I'm sure wasn't the point. For the life of me, I just can't figure out whom this movie is for, which is why I find it so fascinating. Before I saw the movie, I just assumed it would be for kids. It is not for kids. (At my screening, I witnessed wary adults lead a mass exodus of children after the villain slices out the heart of a still living human being, then takes a bite.)
    Mike Ryan: 'The Lone Ranger': The Oddest Movie Of The Year?

I never trust a critic, they seem to just like the attention or some follow in the footsteps of others so they don't feel left out. I will be at the movies tomorrow enjoying this movie for what it is. A big summer blockbuster blow things up and show me some shooting movie.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast