Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

• I'm from Canada eh!

Re: Will Disney's The Lone Ranger top John Carter?

It's so crazy to me how Critics be so against this move and the general movie audience be so for it and we still rely on their opinions as a measure of what a “good” movie is.

I haven’t seen it, but I’d expect to be somewhere in the middle of the Good and the bad.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I feel like critics are highly super critical of anything Disney does, measuring them to the same bench mark that Walt set decades ago. I think many of them are still struggling with critiquing a movie vs critiquing a "Disney" movie. To them, a Disney movie should STILL be completely wholesome. Perhaps having Touchstone or Hollywood Pictures isn't such a bad idea after all?

Dick Tracy was supposed to be released under "Walt Disney Pictures" but was released under Touchstone. Vice versa The Nightmare Before Christmas was released under Touchstone and now is back under Disney.

But anyway, I think each year the critics unite to find one Disney movie to pan. Last year it was John Carter. The year before that was Cars 2. This year of course is Lone Ranger.

But with Lone Ranger, it's yet another Dick Cook greenlight for the company to place the blame on.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Singing Drinker

That layer of insulation is useful for several reasons.

Disney does come with expectations. They could release a masterwork redo of Friday the 13th that stayed true to the gore and violence of the original but elevated the remainder of the film to Citizen Kane levels of transcendence and I believe they'd still be crucified for daring to "besmirch" the Disney name.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Senior Minion

When a longtime Disney supporter like Leonard Maltin pans The Lone Ranger, it's a hint that maybe the problem is with the film, rather than with film critics being overly critical of Disney.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• MiceChat Moderator

I'm watching it this evening and I'm a lifelong Disney fan. I was originally taken aback by even The Hunchback of Notre Dame going "this is a Disney movie??".... but now it's one of my favorites.

I'll chime in how I feel tonight.... or tomorrow if I go drinking afterwards.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

And the cohetereview is?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    When a longtime Disney supporter like Leonard Maltin pans The Lone Ranger, it's a hint that maybe the problem is with the film, rather than with film critics being overly critical of Disney.
    Disney spent $225 million to make the film and an estimated $100 million to market it.

Kinda saw it comin'

Lone Ranger underperforms at box office, Disney may take a loss on film
    Last edited by CaliforniaAdventurer; 07-11-2013 at 01:04 AM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Ol' Dan View Post
    Howdy Pards,

...For the most part these young whippersnappers are too young to remember ... do not trust these critics...and I figure I can make up my own mind thank you.

Now...I may be disappointed. There is no denyin' that... But, then again, I may not.
    I love the West. I know and love the story of the Lone Ranger. I pretty much liked every one of those pirate adventures put out by these fellers. And, I got a feelin' I might just be liking this movie as well.

Now, I know what some of you fellers are sayin'..."There that Wild Ol' Dan feller goes again...always the optimist..." Yep. Reckon that's true.

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Them are the facts, Dan. I have some expertise in this area and I wish I shared your optimism but many of Disney's film productions of late have not given me reason for such optimism despite MiceChat status and a love for the company and it's older films.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I think any plans for a Lone Ranger themed Frontierland expansion are on hold.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Analysts are predicting that R.I.P.D, starring Jeff Bridges and Ryan Reynolds, will become the fourth such film in as many weeks to underperform.

The costliest failure so far has been The Lone Ranger, starring Johnny Depp, which cost $250 million (165 million) to make, and had a huge marketing budget. It was savaged by critics as a "bloated, unfunny, sometimes downright bizarre train wreck" amid a "summer of garbage blockbusters."
    Hollywood facing summer crisis with multiple big budget flops - Telegraph

• Avid MC reader since 2005

The one I'm most surprised about failing is Pacific Rim. It is the typical summer blockbuster with big robots and monster aliens done on a large scale with high quality graphics. We saw it and thought it was a blast for what it was.

I do agree with Spielberg that they are releasing too many high budget films at a time. There isn't a big enough market to handle that.

• MiceChat Moderator

Not to veer too much off topic but Pacific Rim's downfall might be the mentality of most people that they've seen it before... in cartoons or whatever. I also think that most people are numb to visual effects heavy films now. They're starting to grow numb to CG films too, as Dreamworks' underperforming Rise of the Guardians and now Turbo is showing.

Parents don't take their kids to every movie. They took them to Monsters University and then Despicable Me 2 and now they're tapped out. There's no room for Turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Not to veer too much off topic but Pacific Rim's downfall might be the mentality of most people that they've seen it before... in cartoons or whatever. I also think that most people are numb to visual effects heavy films now. They're starting to grow numb to CG films too, as Dreamworks' underperforming Rise of the Guardians and now Turbo is showing.

Parents don't take their kids to every movie. They took them to Monsters University and then Despicable Me 2 and now they're tapped out. There's no room for Turbo.
    That's a good reason, plus the Strumfs 2 and planes are coming, and this two have an alredy stablished fanbase and Turbo none, so if they have extra money the parents will prefer to take them little kid who is already a fan of those franshises to planes/strumfs.

In this summer, is surprising how many movies are premiering so close to another by only a few days and many of them are over 100 M or 200 M, they think everyone has the time and money to watch them all , so the public will skip the ones that have less interesant trailers or regular/bad citiques.

• MiceChat Moderator

Turbo also has the bad luck of being an awful far-fetched idea even for a cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Turbo also has the bad luck of being an awful far-fetched idea even for a cartoon.
    True

Also they remind me a LOT of the den den mushi from the manga/anime One Piece , this snails are used like telephone, image proyector or a recording devises http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Den_Den_Mushi

Name:  2405-5035-large.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  14.4 KBName:  2406-5039-thickbox.jpg
Size:  18.8 KB
    Name:  5359-10153-large.jpg
Size:  19.8 KB

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast