Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Minion

Re: 'Oz The Great and Powerful's Box Office Balloon

ORDDU: We're glad to hear you liked it too, Timmy, duckling. My sisters and I are still on an Oz buzz high--temporarily trading in our broomsticks for one of Glinda's many bubbles!

ORGOCH: Not that's it's doin' ol' Orwen any good! She ends up bustin' ev'ry dang bubble she tries ta float in!

ORWEN: I HEARD that, old biddy!!! More sour grapes from you just 'cause Oscar Diggs likes Glinda better than you!!!

• Tony Baxter Fan Club

-

Someone earlier in this thread asked if anyone remembers *Return To Oz*....

Yes !!

I remember this film well.
    I saw it in the theatre back during it*s original release in the Summer of 1985. I loved it....it seemed fantastical and quirky all the same. The Gump was a fave of mine back then.
    I still have my Topp*s trading cards from back in the day..and paperback novel.
    Other memories associated with the movie : I remember seeing the cardboard standee inside a Guest area at Walt Disney World that summer too...with that fantastic Drew Struzen poster artwork.

Over the years since, i have learned more about the film...and have wanted to see it again.

A couple of years ago when it finally was released on Dvd, a friend let me borrow it and i was able to appreciate it on a whole other level. Some of the character actors i now recognized ( Nicol in particular, as the Doctor/Nome King ) and it added more appeal to a film i already liked a lot. The cinematography was nicely done...and the animatronic creations and creatures still looked good even now. Will Vinton*s claymation work was also great to see again.

Return to Oz was great. Never really understood why it received the hate it did in the press at the time, but then again, all the really GOOD movies i seem to enjoy critics in the press seem to rank low.
    Last edited by Figments Friend; 03-19-2013 at 03:00 PM.

• Minion

ORDDU: Well, don't let those critics influence you in a negative way, Figment's Friend, duckling! After all, they're just giving their opinions. They aren't anywhere near the last word on a movie. If Return to Oz brought joy to your heart that's what matters most. My sisters and I know others who enjoyed that movie as well. It even has a cult following!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Disney's 'Oz The Great and Powerful' has passed the $300 million box office milestone, $152.9 million domestic and $154.2 million internationally as of yesterday.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

I finally saw Oz and I liked it a great deal. The only problem I had with it was filming the opening in black-and-white. Just because MGM did it is no reason to do it again. Loved the new Wicked Witch of the West! James Franco was good as the Wizard. EFX were outstanding.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

• Heavy Breather

I think Disney has another Alice on their hands.

I just hope that the sequel isn't a remake of The Wizard of Oz, we already have the perfect film version loved by everybody the world over. I mean, The Wizard of Oz was one of the first films we ever saw and we all adore it even to this day. Remaking this film would be just as bad as remaking Bridge on the River Kwai, or Lawrence of Arabia.

Oh look, 300 posts(insert 300 joke here).
    Last edited by LordVader; 03-21-2013 at 06:23 PM. Reason: 300

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

• Minion

ORDDU: You're right, LordVader, duckling. It would be a mistake for Disney to try and re-make The Wizard of Oz for the reasons you have stated. I hope they don't take such a drastic risk. However, if they were to tackle some of the other Oz books--like Return to Oz did--that would be less risky and more acceptable. There are so many characters in the Oz books for Disney to introduce to the rest of the world. Let's hope they go that route!

• Heavy Breather

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: You're right, LordVader, duckling. It would be a mistake for Disney to try and re-make The Wizard of Oz for the reasons you have stated. I hope they don't take such a drastic risk. However, if they were to tackle some of the other Oz books--like Return to Oz did--that would be less risky and more acceptable. There are so many characters in the Oz books for Disney to introduce to the rest of the world. Let's hope they go that route!
    Indeed ladies, characters such as Ozma.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

• Minion

ORWEN: Oh, I love Ozma! She was in Return to Oz at least.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'The Croods', the latest film from Disney Animation alumnus Chris Sanders of 'Lilo and Stitch' fame opened at number one this weekend. This is his second feature as Co-Director & Co-Writer for DreamWorks Animation following the Oscar-nominated box office hit, 'How To Train Your Dragon'.

Oz the Great and Powerful placed No. 3 in its third weekend, upping its domestic cume to $177.6 million. The Disney tentpole now has earned $356.4 million worldwide.
    Animation rules the international box offices.

20th Century Fox’s first release of a DreamWorks Animation title, The Croods, a 3D computer animation family film, opened substantially if not spectacularly on the foreign theatrical circuit, grossing $63.3 million at 11,870 venues in 47 markets covering 86 countries.

The adventure comedy about a pre-historic family embarking on a road trip scored the second highest offshore opening launch of 2013, bested by the foreign opening Disney’s Oz The Great and Powerful, which drew $69.9 million a fortnight ago. Nonetheless, Croods racked up powerful numbers in its seven largest markets, and scored No. 1 debuts in a total of 44 territories.
    Taking the weekend’s No. 2 spot was Oz The Great and Powerful, director Sam Raimi’s special-effects-intensive fantasy based on L. Frank Baum’s novel, which collected $21.7 million in its third round in 55 territories. Foreign cume stands at $178.8 million; $356.4 million worldwide.
    Foreign Box Office: 'The Croods' Opens at No.1 With $63.3 million - The Hollywood Reporter
    Last edited by ALIASd; 03-24-2013 at 02:52 PM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Minion

ORDDU: It's nice to see that Oz the Great & Powerful has such staying power. We know at least one person who's gone to see it 3 times by now with this weekend 3/24/13, being the latest viewing. Our friend mentioned that the theatre where he saw it was about 80 percent full.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

For the first time this year two movies arrived to $30 million or more in ticket sales in North America, giving studios hope that a dismal box-office stretch was behind them. “The Croods,” about a prehistoric family’s road trip, took in an estimated $44.7 million over the weekend, easily enough for No. 1, while “Olympus Has Fallen” took in a stronger-than-expected $30.5 million, for second place.
    Even “Spring Breakers,” Harmony Korine’s lurid art-house tale of bikini-clad killers, lived up to its hype, taking in about $5 million in relatively limited national release.

“Oz the Great and Powerful” from Walt Disney Studios, sold an additional $22 million in tickets over the weekend, placing third. “Oz” has now taken in $177.6 million in North America over three weeks. (Crucial overseas sales, however, have been soft.)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/25/mo...er=rss&emc=rss

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

In it's 8th weekend in theatres, 'Oz' bubbled along at the domestic box office with $4.9 million, bringing it's stateside tally to $219.4 million. Worldwide box office touchs down at $471 million.

I just saw this movie and I must say it was better then I had expected, and I think I may even go see it again.

I am glad it has done well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12