Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Oz The Great and Powerful's Box Office Balloon

Director Sam Raimi's 'Oz The Great and Powerful' delivered the studio the top North American debut of 2013 which exceeded early industry tracking projections taking in an estimated $80.3 million. It was also the third best-March opening of all time after 'The Hunger Games' last year and Disney's own billion dollar blockbuster, 'Alice in Wodnderland' in 2010.

The film also brought in $69.9 million overseas putting it's opening weekend at $150.2 million worldwide.
    Last edited by ALIASd; 03-11-2013 at 08:52 AM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Under that tree again!

Re: 'Oz The Great and Powerful's Box Office Balloon

That is the largest opening I remember going back to Christmas or Thankgiving breaks, and I mean for the domestic total. For the global total maybe back into summer.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

If I were Disney, I would be cautiously optimistic about Oz. The reviews were generally lukewarm and right now, it just doesn't have a whole lot of competition in the theaters. Let's see if it has any kind of staying power. It is quite possible that everyone who wanted to see it already has and now the question is how many would want to go back and see it again. The movie cost $200 million to make and an estimated $125 - $150 million to market (that's one expensive hot air balloon!) so it still has to go some to get into the black. Rather than the huge numbers that Alice In Wonderland made for Disney - Oz The Great and Powerful may well go down the TRON:Legacy path which was good but not great when it came to filling Disney Studios bank account.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandTraveler View Post
    It is quite possible that everyone who wanted to see it already has and now the question is how many would want to go back and see it again. The movie cost $200 million to make and an estimated $125 - $150 million to market (that's one expensive hot air balloon!) so it still has to go some to get into the black. Rather than the huge numbers that Alice In Wonderland made for Disney - Oz The Great and Powerful may well go down the TRON:Legacy path which was good but not great when it came to filling Disney Studios bank account.
    'Oz' positive reviews sit 10% higher than 'Alice's on RT, and they're virtually tied with audience approval ratings, the latter hit a billion on repeat business worldwide. They have a long way to go with continued rollouts overseas.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    'Oz' positive reviews sit 10% higher than 'Alice's on RT, and they're virtually tied with audience approval ratings, the latter hit a billion on repeat business worldwide. They have a long way to go with continued rollouts overseas.

And they both premiered during this slow time/low competition, time of year. I suspect they will have al least another great weekend.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    Director Sam Raimi's 'Oz The Great and Powerful' delivered the studio the top North American debut of 2013 which exceeded early industry tracking projections taking in an estimated $80.3 million.
    Final domestic tally: $79.1 million

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    And they both premiered during this slow time/low competition, time of year. I suspect they will have al least another great weekend.
    In Distribution this is considered a smart move (however it didn't work out the same for Warner Bros. their 'Jack' opened to $25 million in the same "slow" season), Disney has Summer and Holiday fare already lined up.

• Restless Adventurer

I have read that Disney has already green lighted the next sequel; and that the principle talent has already been signed for several sequels. I have also read that the next movie is to be "fast tracked" as to get it sooner rather than later. Good news for a beautifully done, and respectful, flick!

• Goofy

i would not mind to see a remake of the wizard of oz 39.

Does anyone else remember Return to Oz ? Great flick, but slow business because it wasn't a musical and Siskel & Ebert both hated it.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Not My Real Name View Post
    Does anyone else remember Return to Oz ? Great flick, but slow business because it wasn't a musical and Siskel & Ebert both hated it.
    I remember it, as I saw it, when it was first released to theaters. And if one is familiar with the books originally written by L. Frank Baum, "Return to Oz" was closer to the books, then the 1939 film. Much darker in tone, like the books, then the 1939 film, and Dorothy in this one was much closer in age to the character in the books, at least the first one, then the 1939 film.

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I enjoyed Return to Oz--despite its flaws. The biggest flaw, we suspect, was having the Emerald City and the iconic yellow brick road in ruins. Fans don't want to see it that way. Even in the original books, the Emerald City and yellow brick road were never destroyed. The Nome King merely threatened to do such a thing--but Ozma found a way to prevent this from happening.

ORWEN: It might have helped if Return to Oz had been a musical, too, so it would lighten the atmosphere. But from what we've read, too many critics had been complaining against too many songs in Disney movies back then. So they caved in to what they thought people would want. But good songs last forever when done right.

ORDDU: At least Oz the Great and Powerful succeeds where Return to Oz failed. It's a marvelous piece of work and we're happy that it's doing so well!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

While Disney’s “Oz the Great and Powerful” won the weekend with a better-than-expected $42.2 million, down 47%, the frame’s specialty winner — Harmony Korine’s “Spring Breakers,” from distrib A24 — scored the best-ever opening per-screen average for this time, with $90,000 from three locations.
    23 minutes ago at: Box Office: ‘Oz’ Stays Strong with $42 Million, but Auds Catch ‘Spring’ Fever | Variety

• Not here to help

I was on the premier in my town here in Sweden. I must say that this is the best Oz movie ever made.
    I enjoyed the Judy Garland one as a child... and still do. But I always had a problem with the silly characters that didnt really match the books.
    Even if someone has a problem with Oz The Great and Powerful I would say its hard to ever call it bad.

Anyone that hasnt seen it... go see it! Its good.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Domestic Weekend Box Office: #1 $42.2 million
    Total: $145 million, top grossing film of 2013 thus far

Foreign Weekend Box Office: #1 $46.6 million
    Opened #1 in France and Taiwan, remained #1 in U.K. and Germany in 2nd weekend
    Total: $136.8 million

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast