Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Disney re-making Pete's Dragon

In this weeks "Disney is officially out of original ideas" news story ...

‘Pete’s Dragon’ Remake In The Works, Gritty Filmmaker Attached

Petes Dragon remake talks have moved forward with an odd choice from Disney for the projects writing chores.

Aint Them Bodies Saints writer-director David Lowery and writing partner Toby Halbrooks were hired on Tuesday by the company and producer Jim Whitaker to reinvent the animated dragon from 1977′s otherwise live action musical, Deadline reported.

Lowerys previous effort and directorial debut is the tale of an escaped convict, who braves the Texas hills to reunite with his wife and the daughter he hasnt met.

Rooney Mara, Rami Malek, Keith Carradine, and Casey Affleck, star in the film that turned heads at the Sundance Film Festival and was picked up by IFC Films in January 2013. It is slated for a wider release on August 16, 2013.

Reading those details may cause one to wonder why Disney thinks Lowery is the guy for the Petes Dragon remake, but when you compare the two, some interesting parallels come in to focus that make the decision appear more sensible.

The original Petes Dragon was very much a kids film, but it had some very dark undertones. Pete (Sean Marshall) and his dragon Elliott (voiced by Charlie Callas) were on the run from Petes abusive parents led by a frightening Shelley Winters.

•   
    • Minion

Re: Disney re-making Pete's Dragon

man I love the original but a re-make please nooooo!!!! I'd rather see someone try to make it a stage show.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

And an update to Flight of the Navigator? Nooooo! Just... No!!! Remakes are very seldom good ideas. And this just sounds bad all the way around.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• -

They are going to ruin a classic. How about just cleaning it up and re-releasing it in a digitally remastered IMAX format.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Re-invent Pete's Dragon? I think this has great possibilities! They could turn this into. More of an action adventure movie. They could certainly improve on the animation. (Look at roger rabbit compared to Elliot). And of course they could go cgi with Elliot. Let's just hope they do a better job than the dragon in Enchanted. Sounds like they want to have their own How to train your Dragon, but with live action. With Elliot, Disney already has a base to start with. And it might actually be something that could appeal to boys 3 and up, if done right.
    Last edited by Aladdin; 03-20-2013 at 04:08 PM.

• Evil is Sexy

This 'Pete's Dragon': Disney to Reboot 1977 Movie was written today on Moviephone about it as well.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• -

Commingsoon.net picked up the story as well:
    Disney Plans a Pete's Dragon Reboot - ComingSoon.net

I hate that the new one isn't going to be a musical. I remember as a kid having the read-along record that had all the songs on it as well. I would listen to it over and over again (probably much to the chagrin of my parents )
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Oh, for Pete's sake.

• Evil is Sexy

The only really good thing about it is that the story will be retold to a new generation. It really makes me sad that my nieces and nephews don't know some of the older Disney movies because Disney pulled them (Song of the South) or they don't keep their attention as they did ours.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

•   
    • Banned User

Brevity is levity. That made me laugh. Thanks CalAdv.

I'm not against remakes in general, just more strongly for ones that should be remade. I thought Pete's Dragon was fine as is. If anything needs a remake I'd have voted for the Black Hole. It was on the cusp of being good, it just drug on and didn't quite gel.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    "........were on the run from Petes abusive parents led by a frightening Shelley Winters."

I know it's been a long time since I've seen the movie, but if I remember correctly and I'm almost 99% positive that the role Shelley Winters played was not a parent of Pete. It was just an adoptive family or a group of people who took Pete in and treated him like a slave. And if I remember correctly, they bought him, which puts Pete in the category of "slave." So they weren't his parents.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    I know it's been a long time since I've seen the movie, but if I remember correctly and I'm almost 99% positive that the role Shelley Winters played was not a parent of Pete. It was just an adoptive family or a group of people who took Pete in and treated him like a slave. And if I remember correctly, they bought him, which puts Pete in the category of "slave." So they weren't his parents.
    Is Disney considering an NC-17 rating, or are we going to make them his parents?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Commingsoon.net picked up the story as well:
    Disney Plans a Pete's Dragon Reboot - ComingSoon.net

I hate that the new one isn't going to be a musical. I remember as a kid having the read-along record that had all the songs on it as well. I would listen to it over and over again (probably much to the chagrin of my parents )

That's interesting, because, although I like some musicals, I'm glad they are going a different direction with the re-invented movie. It will be easier to create a distinction between the two movies, and make the new movie a completely new Adventure.

Quite frankly, I've always thought Pete's Dragon was a mediocre movie, when compared to so many of Disney's other movies, and even though it's song was nominated for an Academy Award, this movie just doesn't move me, except out of my seat.

As for the choice of writer, I'm sure a lot of people thought that a team that wrote "Mean Green Mother From Outer Space" was an odd choice to write songs for a Disney animated movie.

While I would rather see original material from Disney, Pete's Dragon might be a good re-boot. Just as long as it doesn't get too dark. I wouldn't make big design changes to Elliot either. He is the reason that a lot people remember the original film in the first place.
    It doesn't bother me that the re-boot won't be a musical. Helen Reddy wasn't that great and "Candle on the Water" was probably the best song out of the half dozen from the original film imo.

• Circle of Ancients

I'm sure Johnny Depp will voice Elliott and Tim Burton will produce. One or both of them must be involved in most crappy Hollywood remakes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast