"New Disney Renaissance?"

Gary Wright recently put out an article with his thoughts that we may very well be in a "New Disney Renaissance" with films like Tangled and Wreck-It Ralph.

You can read the full article here:
    Are We In a New Disney Renaissance?

Personally, I feel like he is a little off the mark in his description of the way some of the more recent films were received critically and with the public. He also doesn't address the fact directly that the Walt Disney Company essentially wiped out its hand drawn animation department, a travesty in my mind.

What are your thoughts?

Re: "New Disney Renaissance?"

I understand a lot of the article's points; but it did gloss over the sorry state of 2D animation. The only way we will know if this article is right is if we can look back 10 years from now and say, "Yeah, Tangled was the start of something special." Until then, it is all just speculation.

When were the Disney Princesses ever out of the spotlight?
    Poorly written article imo.

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

I couldn't get past the first paragraph... calling The Black Cauldron horrible? Disagree with that statement since I love that crazy movie to bits and pieces. Scanned the rest, not a very interesting read.
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

• Singing Drinker

Leaving the commentary on past works behind, I don't see the current crop as a "renaissance". It's not the plunge into Xerography and kiddie animal films (many of which I really do have fond memories of) that marked the '70s motion picture period, but it's also not the string of Mermaid/Lion King etc.

But "The Period of Muddling Through With Adequate To Good Releases That Have Some Great Moments But Otherwise Are Just Pretty OK" doesn't scan well on a headline, I guess.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    But "The Period of Muddling Through With Adequate To Good Releases That Have Some Great Moments But Otherwise Are Just Pretty OK" doesn't scan well on a headline, I guess.
    A sadly accurate representation of the current Disney offerings.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Heavy Breather

I wouldn't go THAT far. I mean, Disney has been getting back in the game with movies like Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Winnie the Pooh, and Wreck it Ralph. All of these are great movies, but it still saddens me that they have disbanded hand drawn animation, again. I wish we could see a great 2-D classic again with the great musical taste of Princess and the Frog and the great story telling of Tangled. We could have another Beauty and the Beast on our hands if They made a movie like that. What fairy tales has Disney not adapted yet? I'd like to know?

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    I wouldn't go THAT far. I mean, Disney has been getting back in the game with movies like Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Winnie the Pooh, and Wreck it Ralph. All of these are great movies, but it still saddens me that they have disbanded hand drawn animation, again. I wish we could see a great 2-D classic again with the great musical taste of Princess and the Frog and the great story telling of Tangled. We could have another Beauty and the Beast on our hands if They made a movie like that. What fairy tales has Disney not adapted yet? I'd like to know?
    Precisely how I feel and why I started this thread. It bothers me that the Walt Disney Company is moving away from classic, hand-drawn 2D animation. This is at the core of WALT DISNEY! I know that companies will always push for what's new and novel, and right now that's computer animation, but a company like Disney needs to preserve it's tradition and continue offering both. I LOVED Princess and the Frog and put it up there with my top all-time Disney animated films. Not only was it an overall fun and well made film but it also was such a triumph with regard to it's music and its subtle references to other Disney films more recent (Little Mermaid, Aladdin) and paid tribute to classic Disney princess movies with an endearing princess character and lovable supporting characters. But it went totally under-appreciated and Up! was the big Disney offering that was marketed more and better received. Then there's Winnie the Pooh, which I felt was hugely disappointing and weak. And then Disney decided to release it the same weekend as Harry Potter. That movie just had no hope.

I just don't see how anyone could call this a period of "New Disney Renaissance." The first Disney Renaissance began with The Little Mermaid and the string of hit movies that were both very well received and still loved: Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King. This is no renaissance. I wish Disney would first bring back it's old school animation department, then produce a ton of great movies withit and ACTUALLY begin a new renaissance.

What fairy tales has Disney not adapted yet? I'd like to know?
    The fellas over there need to bust open a collection of Grim Fairytales and get to work! Or God forbid, get creative and put together a new story with classic Disney animated film sensibilities. That's how I feel about it at least. I'm obviously a Disney purist/traditionalist.

• Heavy Breather

I honestly think Iger killed traditional animation on purpose by releasing Winnie the Pooh the same weekend as the last Harry Potter film. It was probably one of the worst decisions they've made, and it automatically makes Iger my least favorite CEO.

Lasseter for CEO 2015!!!

Lasseter for CEO 2015!!!
    Hell yeah! I knew I liked you Vader

• Heavy Breather

2015 will be a great year indeed. A new CEO(hopefully) and Hoverboards!!