Don't get me wrong, I love new classics such as Princess and the Frog and Brave. But I kinda get a feeling that to emphasize the princesses' intelligence and good heartedness, they are a lot of really creepy Disney male characters that make me feel embarrassed to even be part of the male gender:
1. Gaston. Yeah, I know he's not a Disney prince, but it seems that as Disney wanted to break the princess mould with Belle, they juxtaposed her with a complete male chauvanistic pig to bring out her good qualities, Gaston was kinda a new low for Disney male characters.
2. The Beast. Not the nicest guy, and is rehabilitated by Belle.
3. Prince Naveen. A bonafide Disney prince, but he's pretty much a creep throughout the whole film.
4. Flynn Rider. Need I say more, another Disney creepy guy who needs to be rehabilitated by the princesses.
5. Aladdin. Starts of as a thief.
I guess Brave was so palatable to me because the father was more "enlightened" than the mother. I breathed a sigh of relief to know that the villain wasn't some prince who was forcing Merida to marry her with help from her father. Sure, Disney has its share of female villains, but the princes seem to either be generic princes, or guys with serious personality defects who are "rehabilitated" during the film.