Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Why are a lot of the Disney Princes such Creeps?

Don't get me wrong, I love new classics such as Princess and the Frog and Brave. But I kinda get a feeling that to emphasize the princesses' intelligence and good heartedness, they are a lot of really creepy Disney male characters that make me feel embarrassed to even be part of the male gender:

1. Gaston. Yeah, I know he's not a Disney prince, but it seems that as Disney wanted to break the princess mould with Belle, they juxtaposed her with a complete male chauvanistic pig to bring out her good qualities, Gaston was kinda a new low for Disney male characters.

2. The Beast. Not the nicest guy, and is rehabilitated by Belle.

3. Prince Naveen. A bonafide Disney prince, but he's pretty much a creep throughout the whole film.

4. Flynn Rider. Need I say more, another Disney creepy guy who needs to be rehabilitated by the princesses.

5. Aladdin. Starts of as a thief.

I guess Brave was so palatable to me because the father was more "enlightened" than the mother. I breathed a sigh of relief to know that the villain wasn't some prince who was forcing Merida to marry her with help from her father. Sure, Disney has its share of female villains, but the princes seem to either be generic princes, or guys with serious personality defects who are "rehabilitated" during the film.

• Selfie Expert

Re: Why are a lot of the Disney Princes such Creeps?

Because the majority of guys are creeps.

Kidding!!!!!

I guess I never really thought of the princes as creeps. The princesses often has flaws, too. For example, Rapunzel and Jasmine were very sheltered and naive, Flynn and Aladdin showed them the world (literally).

Gaston is one of my all time favorite characters lol Hey, at least he's confident!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Evil is Sexy

Have you read some of the original fairy tales that they are based from? The males in those were more than creepy in some cases. Disney toned them down a bit.

I do think that the Disney princess movies send across a poor message for young girls about "changing" others with love. In the real world it really doesn't work like that.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Minion

I smell a Battle of the Sexes debate. lol. Just because the princes have certain character flaws does not necessarily constitute them as "creeps." And what's wrong with princes that are rehabilitated? Isn't that what captures the interest of the audience? If the Beast did not have anger issues, then what would Belle and the Beast do during the screen time? It would be quite boring imo. If Aladdin was not a thief, what conflict would there be for him to overcome internally when trying to win Jasmine's heart. In Disney's early history, yes I can agree that the princes were bland and a bit creepy. The Snow prince stalking Snow White as she sings in the wishing well and later kissing with no relationship development. The same goes for Prince Phillip in the forest scene. However, I have to disagree about the later examples such those from the Disney Renaissance of the 1990's.

• ShovelyBubblyGobblyGook

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    Gaston is one of my all time favorite characters lol Hey, at least he's confident!
    Kelly can we talk about how you and I need to be bff's right now cos I love Gaston too! Sure he's an a-hole and ridiculous (and murderous >_>) but omg he's so great in a way that's so difficult to explain to people! There aren't more people around that love Gaston. In the end he was hurt from being humiliated which I feel must be some deep rooted issue like, maybe he used to be this weak little stable boy or something.

I HAVE A LOT OF THEORIES ABOUT WHY HE IS THE WAY HE IS.

I may or may not have written a paper in high school about how maybe villains in Disney movies are the way they are because they were made that way. (i.e. abuse and such. y'know, that age old thing about "the environment around a person shapes who they become.")

.....I'm sorry I just have a lot of feelings about the villains bahahaha

• Evil is Sexy

Quote Originally Posted by ZomBats View Post
    In the end he was hurt from being humiliated which I feel must be some deep rooted issue like, maybe he used to be this weak little stable boy or something.
    I love me some villians as well. As for Gaston, your theory above is probably closer than you think. He gives us a hint in his song "When I was a lad I ate 4 dozen eggs every morning to help me get large. And now that I'm grown I eat 5 dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a barge!"
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    I smell a Battle of the Sexes debate. lol. Just because the princes have certain character flaws does not necessarily constitute them as "creeps." And what's wrong with princes that are rehabilitated? Isn't that what captures the interest of the audience? If the Beast did not have anger issues, then what would Belle and the Beast do during the screen time? It would be quite boring imo. If Aladdin was not a thief, what conflict would there be for him to overcome internally when trying to win Jasmine's heart. In Disney's early history, yes I can agree that the princes were bland and a bit creepy. The Snow prince stalking Snow White as she sings in the wishing well and later kissing with no relationship development. The same goes for Prince Phillip in the forest scene. However, I have to disagree about the later examples such those from the Disney Renaissance of the 1990's.
    Well said.
    397 or 406 miles too far from DLR, depending on who you ask...

• 2 shots on the rocks.

The whole prince and princess franchise is creepy.

• Selfie Expert

Kelly can we talk about how you and I need to be bff's right now cos I love Gaston too! Sure he's an a-hole and ridiculous (and murderous >_>) but omg he's so great in a way that's so difficult to explain to people!
    We can FIX him!! Hahahaha

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Minion

ORDDU: I don't think ANY of Disney's male heroes are 'creeps'. That's a rather over-dramatic statement to make for the sake of getting attention to a topic. This is what happens when someone chooses to over-anyalyze something that's really a non-issue. But for those who enjoy such things, have at it.

• formerly very helpful

I love Gaston too! Sure he's an a-hole and ridiculous (and murderous >_>) but omg he's so great in a way that's so difficult to explain to people! There aren't more people around that love Gaston. In the end he was hurt from being humiliated which I feel must be some deep rooted issue like, maybe he used to be this weak little stable boy or something.

.....I'm sorry I just have a lot of feelings about the villains bahahaha

Sure the girls like Gaston. He's good looking. It's easy to overlook a LOT when someone is attractive. That's why I always liked Belle. She prefers the ugly guy, so I tend to think I'd have a chance with her!

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    Because the majority of guys are creeps.

I think the whole goal of the recent Disney princess movies was to push female strength and independence and not the fact that they needed to be damsels in distress and rescued by a prince from some far off land. That's how I saw it.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Halloween 2011

Not just new films.

Snow White: Prince Charming is a necrophiliac intent on making out with a corpse.
    Sleeping Beauty: Another Princely necrophiliac.
    Cinderella: Prince incapable of recognizing her face,​ instead puts attention on her shoes. Foot fetish anyone?

• formerly very helpful

In all fairness to Prince Philip, Aurora wasn't actually dead, but in a coma. So his fetish seems to be with women who are completely without ability to resist or defend themselves.

• Minion

I still think Prince Phillip is the creepiest "random girl dancing in the woods? Think ill scare the crap out of her and join her"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast