Song of the South - A Remake?

There is no telling whether this film will ever get re-released into theaters or even onto DVD. And I know this is just a question of wishful thinking, let alone if it should even be touched. Because I know how many true Disney enthusiasts love the film and would not want to see it replaced or remade.

But if it were to, just as a hypothetical question at the least, to be close to the original and as culturally friendly as possible, what would you like to see done? I haven't put too much thought into it, but it was just a wonder. One thought that came to mind was for a person to play Uncle Remus. I thought of James Pickens, Jr, known for his role as Chief Webber on Grey's Anatomy. Either him or maybe Chi McBride.

Any other thoughts or ideas, or just wishful thinking?
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Heavy Breather

Re: Song of the South - A Remake?

People would still flip out over it.

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Iger hates this movie, for whatever reason. I am hoping when he retires, the next CEO will understand there is tremendous demand for this film. They don't have to make it a general release in Wal-mart and stores like that. They just need restore the film, put it on Blu-ray and make it a Disney Movie club exclusive. People will go crazy ordering it.

• Minion

They did one. It was called Mary Poppins.

The rich, distracted family doesn't know how to make the child/children happy, but a guardian intevenes and uses his/her particular brand of fun and wisdom to bring the family back together. Also, a song is sung in which live actors interact with animated characters.

I know it's not exactly the same, but I think Song of the South was sort of the template for the overarching plotline they added to Mary Poppins.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• I do believe in fairies!

I hate to say this, but I bought a copy off the internet. It's probably pirated, but it was the only way I was going to get it. I love Splash Mountain. It's just a shame that there are those people who can't get over the percieved "bad" parts and see the movie for all the good parts.

I also have a copy of The Martin's and the Coy's which also stereo-types certain people. It's a hilarious cartoon. I taped it off the Disney Channel years ago. I don't know if you can get that one on DVD, but I bet it's out there somewhere.

Anyway, I think they should release SOTS and let the chips fall where they may. Some people need to get over themselves. Slavery has been dead for, what, 200 years?
    "While there is very little grown-up in a child, there's still a lot of child in every grown up." ~ Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Sprite View Post
    I hate to say this, but I bought a copy off the internet. It's probably pirated, but it was the only way I was going to get it. I love Splash Mountain. It's just a shame that there are those people who can't get over the percieved "bad" parts and see the movie for all the good parts.

I also have a copy of The Martin's and the Coy's which also stereo-types certain people. It's a hilarious cartoon. I taped it off the Disney Channel years ago. I don't know if you can get that one on DVD, but I bet it's out there somewhere.

Anyway, I think they should release SOTS and let the chips fall where they may. Some people need to get over themselves. Slavery has been dead for, what, 200 years?
    Somehow the little bookstore & library at my church had a copy of it and we checked it out for 2 weeks and my wife made a copy of it for us. It's not top quality, but its a copy.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,

Those of us who have seen the film know the truth...and the original film contains the Academy Award winning performance of James Baskett. Historically important because Mr. Baskett was the very first Black man in history to win an Academy Award. It was his kind, warm, wise and wonderful portrayal of Uncle Remus that earned him that recognition.

You know, it's strange that Hollywood had absolutely no problem with Django Unchained
    which was brutal in it's portrayal of slavery BEFORE the Civil War. But it absolutely refuses to accept that after the war, during reconstruction, a kind and wise black man could teach folks, black and white, with stories filled with warmth and honesty and wisdom. Not all people in the south were savage racists...some, like Joel Chandler Harris who wrote the Uncle Remus stories from his own experience of listening to the storytelling of Black folks, former slaves,...admired and respected their wisdom and talent. So did Mark Twain who often told the stories of Uncle Remus during his stage performances throughout the country.

Song of the South is about the friendship of a wise old black man with a young boy named Johnny and with all the children, and adults too for that matter, in and around where he lived...it's about the art of storytelling...it's about looking for a Happy Place...everyone has got one you know...it's about celebrating life. It's messages are warm and wonderful and positive.

There is no gunfire, whips, dirty language, racism, killing or anything of the sort in Disney's Song of the South...only kindness, warmth, wisdom, and a celebration of happiness. If Django Unchained, an excellent movie by the way, which was filled with all the gunfire, whips, dirty language, racism, and revenge it could fit into two hours didn't bother anyone...why on earth would Song of the South?

It is time to release this classic Walt Disney movie from the vaults...it's time that Mr. Baskett be recognized as a true Disney Legend...and it is time that his Academy Award winning performance be recognized...it's a genuine, authentic, real, and true, zip a dee do dah Walt Disney masterpiece!

It is time.

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

You made a good point Dan. But let's not forget who directed Django Unchained.

• Heavy Breather

I've seen the original movie, I own a bootleg copy(Argh!!).

I honestly have no idea why people are so offended. Maybe I'm just oblivious to these things, but it was a nice little film. I would have preferred a full length animated film narrated by Uncle Remus, but the acting from the kids in the film are kind of typical for children acting in those days. James Baskett gave a wonderful performance, and he was very worthy of that honorary Oscar. The rest of the movie reminds me of Gone with the Wind(My 2nd Favorite movie of all time), kind of a children's version with animated animals.

I bought a Japanese Import Laser Disc back in the 1980's. I still own it today. It's one of my favorite Disney live action films, though I understand that it's not for everyone. By today's standards it's to quiet and slow. I think the portrayal of the hick boys would cause as much a stir these days as to the (incorrectly) perceived portrayal of Uncle Remus