Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Re: Disney's Frozen teaser

The snowman reminds me a lot of the firefly from Princess and the Frog. I'm not a fan of that type of character... perhaps with the exception of Mater.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Wow. Now THAT'S something that gets me excited. Why is the Japanese marketing so superior? Do they really take American audiences to be so juvenile and not appreciative of good marketing?

My point is, if the movie is more in line with what the Japanese trailer is, why would they even trick audiences into thinking Frozen is this happy silly snowman reindeer caper? That's just misleading.
    The Japanese trailers for Tangled were also far more representative of the actual film than the American trailers.

Wow. Now THAT'S something that gets me excited. Why is the Japanese marketing so superior? Do they really take American audiences to be so juvenile and not appreciative of good marketing?

My point is, if the movie is more in line with what the Japanese trailer is, why would they even trick audiences into thinking Frozen is this happy silly snowman reindeer caper? That's just misleading.
    Ditto. The Japanese trailer is far superior to the American version. You are also right about it being misleading. I know there will be some parents who see the American trailer, take their kids to the movie, and then will probably get all upset about how "scary"the snow monster is and how traumatized their kids will be.
    Disney will make additional trailers. I seemed to recall that the early trailers for Hollywood Pictures' Arachnophobia made it out to be a comedy and then a few weeks later, they issued trailers that showed it to be a horror film.

• I do believe in fairies!

I thought the snowman/caribou trailer was cute if it was a cartoon short, but it doesn't really capture what the movie is about.

The Japanese trailer is awesome and now I want to see it.
    "While there is very little grown-up in a child, there's still a lot of child in every grown up." ~ Walt Disney

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Of course my friends working at the studio tell me not to fret and that there are more trailers to come... but I guess my main concern is the art of false advertising. Disney as of late has been reluctant to be what it is: Disney. Why couldn't the Princess and the Frog be called The Frog Prince like the original tale? Of course it isn't the original, but neither are any Disney movies.

John Carter was John Carter of Mars and was Princess of Mars, making the new title having NOTHING in common with the original source material.

Rapunzel became Tangled. And now The Snow Queen has become Frozen.

Does any of this make sense to you? It's marketing decisions for the sake of confusing audiences into buying tickets. Animation is often described as magic. Well here, Disney is attempting the magic of misdirection.

At least in Pixar teaser trailers, they're in line with the mood of the end product. Btw, I'm so glad that Sulley never utters the phrase "I love college" in the finished film.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Evil is Sexy

Quote Originally Posted by dazyhill View Post
    Ditto. The Japanese trailer is far superior to the American version. You are also right about it being misleading. I know there will be some parents who see the American trailer, take their kids to the movie, and then will probably get all upset about how "scary"the snow monster is and how traumatized their kids will be.
    Disney will make additional trailers. I seemed to recall that the early trailers for Hollywood Pictures' Arachnophobia made it out to be a comedy and then a few weeks later, they issued trailers that showed it to be a horror film.
    Wait... Arachnophobia was a horror movie? Hm... I've heard American Psycho was too. But I laughed through both of them.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

Of course my friends working at the studio tell me not to fret and that there are more trailers to come... but I guess my main concern is the art of false advertising. Disney as of late has been reluctant to be what it is: Disney. Why couldn't the Princess and the Frog be called The Frog Prince like the original tale? Of course it isn't the original, but neither are any Disney movies.

John Carter was John Carter of Mars and was Princess of Mars, making the new title having NOTHING in common with the original source material.

Rapunzel became Tangled. And now The Snow Queen has become Frozen.

Does any of this make sense to you? It's marketing decisions for the sake of confusing audiences into buying tickets. Animation is often described as magic. Well here, Disney is attempting the magic of misdirection.

At least in Pixar teaser trailers, they're in line with the mood of the end product. Btw, I'm so glad that Sulley never utters the phrase "I love college" in the finished film.
    It's all marketing. They're trying to reach out with a wider audience with the first short. They did something very similar with Tangled. It seems to me that they are going in the same direction that they did with Tangled. This trailer, I'm almost 100% positive, is not a theatrical trailer. The first full length trailer will probably be the Japanese one just in English.

The reason for the name changes is for the movie to reach more than one audience. John Carter was just a whole hot-mess from the beginning. Disney marketing saw their mistake with The Princess and the Frog realizing that not all boys or teenagers would want to see a Disney princess fairy tale. They used Tangled as a sort of ginny pig for these upcoming fairy tales. And it worked! More adults and teenagers (both boys and girls) saw this movie along with the family crowd. They also marketed the movie as a comedy fairy tale instead of a classic Disney animated one. Which more people enjoyed. So basically, they are continuing to use this very successful form of advertising with Frozen. With both the name change and the animation. If I recall correctly the first trailer for Tangled was a more comical approach and not very appealing to the masses, but as the movie drew closer to release date they better and more story showing the trailers became.

Sorry for this essay long explanation! I just wanted to say what I thought! I'm not trying to dismiss what your saying because you do have a point being the consumer of the product that Disney is trying to sell.

Honestly, this whole thing doesn't surprise me, because the Japanese audiences respond differently to movie trailers than the US audiences. I've seen this when comparing different trailers from movies like Tangled and Monsters University. In fact, Dave Hollis, the executive Vice President of Walt Disney Studios, himself, even stated:

“Every market has its unique quality, and film-going habits vary... Japan is especially interesting to me for the way Japanese audiences respond to trailers and the composition of our movies. They are interested in the emotional components of a story, how characters relate to one another. They care about the deeper context that is the motivation of the characters. I see it as a purity in the way they’re looking at films and maybe it’s even more evolved.
    The reality is that the general US audiences reacts to the trailers far, far different than the Japanese audiences. The general US audiences enjoy watching comedic effects in animation movie trailers, while the general Japanese audiences strive for a more emotional, dramatic scenes.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer Dan View Post
    Honestly, this whole thing doesn't surprise me, because the Japanese audiences respond differently to movie trailers than the US audiences. I've seen this when comparing different trailers from movies like Tangled and Monsters University. In fact, Dave Hollis, the executive Vice President of Walt Disney Studios, himself, even stated:

The reality is that the general US audiences reacts to the trailers far, far different than the Japanese audiences. The general US audiences enjoy watching comedic effects in animation movie trailers, while the general Japanese audiences strive for a more emotional, dramatic scenes.

I don't think American audiences react all that differently if they gave them the chance.

Tangled made money... but it was also a SUPERB film. Remember a little movie called THE LITTLE MERMAID? It was targeted a little too much to the girls, but I heard how good it was and went to see it... TWICE. GREAT movies win out in the end. Princess and the Frog was just "good". John Carter was just "good".

• Minion

I think we all need to remember that this is just the teaser trailer. It's meant to show that Disney has a new animated film coming out, and it's meant to show that it's funny. I saw a lot of visual development work for Frozen a few months back and it really is going to be breathtakingly beautiful. There are more trailers coming and they will show the environment, characters, and music. This one is just a teaser. Patience.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    I think we all need to remember that this is just the teaser trailer. It's meant to show that Disney has a new animated film coming out, and it's meant to show that it's funny. I saw a lot of visual development work for Frozen a few months back and it really is going to be breathtakingly beautiful. There are more trailers coming and they will show the environment, characters, and music. This one is just a teaser. Patience.
    True. There was a beautiful, shining moment when the trailer for Dinosaur was silent, contained no "love monkeys" and simply followed the travails of a lost egg narrowly avoiding destruction as it rolled about.

I still long for the movie based on that sequence. Hopefully this is a case of going polar opposite of content during the trailer as well.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

• MiceChat Moderator

I do know that it's a teaser. But the movie isn't about a whacky come-to life Snowman and his Reindeer buddy. That's misleading.

Look at all the teasers for the Pixar films... all contained footage that wasn't in the movie. What they had in common though was that they all featured the MAIN characters and gave you a glimmer of maybe what the movie was about and the tone of it.

I absolutely don't get that from the Frozen trailer. It's cute. It's stupid. And it tells me nothing else.

Dinosaur would have been 100% more impressive if it were a silent film.

• Minion

I absolutely don't get that from the Frozen trailer. It's cute. It's stupid. And it tells me nothing else.
    It's not supposed to tell you anything else. It's a teaser. It tells you that Disney Animation has a new film coming and it's funny. That's it! The real trailers are coming and they will give you a glimpse of the story, characters, environment, and music. A teaser is just that, a tease!

• Singing Drinker

It's not supposed to tell you anything else. It's a teaser. It tells you that Disney Animation has a new film coming and it's funny. That's it! The real trailers are coming and they will give you a glimpse of the story, characters, environment, and music. A teaser is just that, a tease!
    I hate to say it, the only thing I really get from the Teaser is "We really want to make Ice Age but do it for Disney"
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

• MiceChat Moderator

A teaser is actually supposed to do a whole lot more than tell me that Disney has a movie coming. It's supposed to genuinely get me interested in a movie that is certainly NOT a Snowman/Reindeer buddy movie.

I also didn't find it funny. Quite the opposite.

Can I show you how a real teaser is done? Can I? We look no further than Pixar for inspiration. We're going all the way to 1998!

A Bug's Life. We know nothing about the film but this simple teaser gives us just a taste... and we want MORE.

Or how about Toy Story 2? We already know and love Toy Story 1 but this does the job without ruining it... but we also know the tone of it already: A LOT OF FUN!

One of my favorite teasers is for Monsters, Inc. It tells us real fast that it's about Monsters who scare kids because of their job but we already want to see more because it's so cleverly written. Oh whoa hang on... Mike & Sulley weren't friends in the 5th grade? Whoops.

Finding Nemo... not quite as funny but it shows us our lead characters and we like them. The real movie is pretty much more of that anyhow.

Oooh and The Incredibles teaser... it gave away nothing but we know just the right amount to be interested. And the animation of him trying on the belt is hilarious.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast