Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Disney's Frozen teaser

Alright well not even Pixar can win them all. Their teaser for CARS was a misfire for me, but I did end up loving the movie.

In contrast... here's a teaser for Princess and the Frog that at least showed Tiana, but failed to spark interest with Ray the Firefly. People didn't love that character until AFTER they saw the movie.

Here's an odd one for Tangled. Just hints but not even a title.

The Tangled teaser everyone remembered they hated but couldn't place why (because it was too Dreamworks most said). But again... it focuses on our main characters.

Wreck-it Ralph on the other hand relies entirely on scenes found in the film.

That brings us back to Frozen. A teaser that teases a movie that doesn't exist. Kids will be enchanted by the snowman and reindeer but that's not the movie they're gonna get is it?

As said before, it would be the better decision for Disney to sell the movie honestly rather than give us a jokey ad that doesn't even show us the main characters or even the real tone of it. This is supposed to be a movie based on a story by Hans Christian Andersen?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Hey everyone,

speaking of frozen, Blue Sky Disney has released a list of the names and descriptions all those Animated films that Disney listed as coming over the next five years. There was what, five or six untitled films that they announce the releases of?

The website gives the names for all of them, plus a brief description of the films. Including Ron & John's new Computer animated film. Yes, you heard that right. Check it out:

Blue Sky Disney: Clear Road Ahead...

ImagineerWarrior

Funny you mentioned the Cars trailer - it came up in a conversation with a friend the other day, when we discussed the trailer for Frozen as well.

I got more of a concept regarding Frozen at Destination D last year. I was at least hoping for something a little more serious, maybe with snow building up on the landscape, and then the title.

Though if this doesn't make money, one has to wonder how Disney will spin it. What helped sell people on movies normally, is that they started prepping you at least a year in advance. This trailer comes less than 5 months before the film comes out. I know that people have shorter attention spans these days, but remember how we all were anticipating The Lion King 'months' in Advance?

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    I hate to say it, the only thing I really get from the Teaser is "We really want to make Ice Age but do it for Disney"
    Which is basically the same thing that they did with Tangled, advertising it as somewhat of a Shrek imitation. The thing is, it worked, so I guess we'll be seeing more of this from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    A teaser is actually supposed to do a whole lot more than tell me that Disney has a movie coming. It's supposed to genuinely get me interested in a movie that is certainly NOT a Snowman/Reindeer buddy movie.

I also didn't find it funny. Quite the opposite.
    Not to mention that the trailer was essentially Disney ripping off this (much funnier) animated short:
    The Snowman on Vimeo

• MiceChat Moderator

Whatever worked for Tangled, I owe it to at least telling people that it's about a girl with long hair who is also a free spirit and that it's roughly a comedy. Get actual disney fans to watch and LOVE it, they will spread the word and see it multiple times. That's how it will win. Word of mouth still works best.

In short, Tangled turned out to be an amazing movie. If it was lousy, the marketing would have made sense.

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Whatever worked for Tangled, I owe it to at least telling people that it's about a girl with long hair who is also a free spirit and that it's roughly a comedy. Get actual disney fans to watch and LOVE it, they will spread the word and see it multiple times. That's how it will win. Word of mouth still works best.
    I wasn't crediting Tangled's being a hit to its marketing, but given its huge success, it doesn't particularly surprise me that Disney didn't bother to change its method of advertising for Frozen, regardless of the whatever other factors contributed to Tangled's success.

Anyways, there's been a bit more information released about the film. We'll probably hear more from the D23 Expo in the next few days, but until then, thought I would share these links:

A Get to Know the Characters article featuring pictures of various characters and a few more details on the plot, particularly in the descriptions for Anna and Elsa:

"From the outside, Elsa looks poised, regal and reserved, but in reality, she lives in fear as she wrestles with a mighty secret—she was born with the power to create ice and snow. It’s a beautiful ability, but also extremely dangerous. Haunted by the moment her magic nearly killed her younger sister Anna, Elsa has isolated herself, spending every waking minute trying to suppress her growing powers. Her mounting emotions trigger the magic, accidentally setting off an eternal winter that she can’t stop. She fears she’s becoming a monster and that no one, not even her sister, can help her."

"Anna is more daring than graceful and, at times, can act before she thinks. But she’s also the most optimistic and caring person you’ll ever meet. She longs to reconnect with her sister, Elsa, as they were close during their childhood. When Elsa accidentally unleashes a magical secret that locks the kingdom of Arendelle in an eternal winter, Anna embarks on a dangerous adventure to make things right. Armed with only her fearlessness, a never-give-up attitude and her faith in others, Anna is determined to save both her kingdom and her family."

I also found a version of the French trailer (same as the Japanese version) that had been subtitled. With the release of those character descriptions, it doesn't give us much that we don't already know, but it's nice to understand what they're saying in the trailer.

And most recently, this clip showing Anna and Kristoff fleeing from a ferocious snow monster. I was seeing gifs of this on tumblr today and was able to find it on YouTube, but I'm still not sure how or when it was released (EDIT: it was apparently from an animation app that they released). Regardless of by whom this was released, this clip definitely gets me more excited than any of the information or teasers released thus far.
    Last edited by gatheringrosebuds; 08-11-2013 at 01:45 PM.

• MiceChat Moderator

Disney indeed is trying different tactics to promote Frozen but the truth is, it's not tracking very well. I think naming the movie "Frozen" is a huge mistake. It's forgettable, not particularly interesting. It's how you'd describe a novelty item from the grocery. "The Snow Queen" would make an impact on a page and would track far better in gaining interest.

"Do you want to see Disney's The Snow Queen?" YEAH!

"Do you want to see Disney's Frozen? WHAT'S THAT ABOUT?

The snowman character doesn't worry me to mush, the one who worries me is the reindeer.

Is really borring to have another "animal who thinks/behaves like a dog" is overused and really boring and cheesy, not original at all as MANY kids movies have a character like that

From the trailer you get the idea that is the same character of Tangled's Maximus and even has the same face exprecions .

^Exactly! At this point, the only reason I would be buying a plush version of Frozen's reindeer would be that he would look cute under my Christmas tree and nothing more.
    I tried listening to Michael Giaimo, the art director on Frozen talk about the design elements that went into the costuming and set direction. He talked about how the costumes on Frozen are some of the most elaborate ever constructed for a Disney animated film.
    Fine, (and though I realize this wasn't necessarily his job), inside I was saying "What about the STORY! How much time was put into THAT?!! I decided my time was better spent elsewhere and walked away.
    I still hold out hope for a successful film and maybe I will enjoy it.

• WDI Future Show Writer

“Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.”

My coworker made this point: Everyone that really matters to them already knows its a princess movie, meaning they already have their girl audience. That was Igers problem with the lack of incredible success for PatF, and his fear for Tangled, "We gotta target the boys more!!!"

Which I understand, but it's frustrating for us real fans because we want to see the story of the MAIN CHARACTERS. And I feel all of your frustrations. But I understood what my coworker meant when he said they are trying to keep the boys interested too.

But the footage they showed at the Expo? Don't worry, everyone. It will be amazing!!!!!!
    Kathy Mangum: "If you show that you want to try, people will want to work with you" #D23Expo

Joe Rodhe: To be an Imagineer, "you have to be the kind of person who wants to share." #D23Expo

Quote Originally Posted by dazyhill View Post
    At this point, the only reason I would be buying a plush version of Frozen's reindeer would be that he would look cute under my Christmas tree and nothing more.
    Funny you mention the reindeer. At the Expo, I remember seeing a little boy who had gotten a plush of the reindeer at the Disney Store when they put out Frozen merch.

I even talked to some of the people around the animation booth, and was mentioning how I was worried about the early-marketing being little more than a comedy-relief moment. No hints about Elsa, Anna, or anything like that.

• MiceChat Moderator

Me and my friends call Frozen "Tangled on Ice". Seriously, these titles have got to go. We're not even talking about snowmen or dog reindeer or princess anymore. These are titles that don't tell you anything about the movie at all. Is that what Disney wants? They're so afraid of giving their audience something that will be too much for girls or too much for guys... how about do what Walt Disney did and just deliver a good product? We all know these films are quality but in the long run, will make all of that money back. when I was a kid I didn't say "ugh, Cinderella? That's a girl's movie."

Rapunzel is a better title than Tangled.
    The Snow Queen is a better title than Frozen.
    John Carter of Mars is a better title than John Carter.

On an unrelated note, Dreamworks Animation just tossed out their marketing executive. Turbo and Rise of the Guardians are Dreamworks' lowest earners yet I believe.

• WDI Future Show Writer

“Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.”

We can thank our dearly beloved Robert Iger for that one.
    Kathy Mangum: "If you show that you want to try, people will want to work with you" #D23Expo

Joe Rodhe: To be an Imagineer, "you have to be the kind of person who wants to share." #D23Expo

• ~

Just came across a new English trailer today. Saw it on tumblr--couldn't trace the source, but the original post said it debuted in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    Just came across a new English trailer today. Saw it on tumblr--couldn't trace the source, but the original post said it debuted in Australia.
    Seems Disney doesn't want people to see it...Its blocked for me, something about Disney blocking it for copyright issues.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast