Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• ~

Re: Disney's Frozen teaser

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    Seems Disney doesn't want people to see it...Its blocked for me, something about Disney blocking it for copyright issues.
    Seems so. This is the trailer that I saw, Disney officially released it today:
    Frozen Trailer 2 | Disney Video

• Tomorrow's Child

Here's an embeded version.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Maybe its just the trailer...but this movies doesn't look that good...the jokes don't seem funny and the characters seems much less developed then Ralph or rapunzel

• Tomorrow's Child

Well as its been said many a time, you don't always get a true feel in the trailer - although they show so much in them these days its almost like you've see a lot of the film.

It looks great but I did get a little underwhelmed at times. Perhaps I'm a bit too traditionalist and don't care for this feint Dreamworks style of dialogue. "Yeah that's awkward" and the like.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^Yeah thats how I felt....but to be fair Tangled had the same marketing and the film was very good...I just don't get the marketing they use sometimes....I'm mean watch the Wreck it Ralph Trailer and compared it to this....WIR made me so much more excited

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    ^Yeah thats how I felt....but to be fair Tangled had the same marketing and the film was very good...I just don't get the marketing they use sometimes....I'm mean watch the Wreck it Ralph Trailer and compared it to this....WIR made me so much more excited
    Well the thing with Tangled was that I always felt that the film was meant to be more a comedic approach to the Rapunzel fairy tale. It didn't bother me so much the way they marketed it despite how silly some of the promos were.

I don't feel that with Frozen, especially from all the stuff I read about what the film is supposed to be about. So it's make the comedic approach to their marketing of this film feel completely out of place and just ridiculous. That "who will save the day?" segment was just stupid, stupid, stupid. The marketing approach with this film is just baffling (just look at the poster and go "huh?"). I'll be surprised if it actually does work.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• ~

New trailer recently released--and I have to say, this trailer is significantly better than the first two. The emphasis is actually on the plot, particularly Elsa's powers and the relationship with the sisters, we got some gorgeous shots of the animation, and see actual musical numbers highlighted instead of pop songs. This is a trailer that actually makes me excited to see the film (not whatever they were doing before).

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    It looks great but I did get a little underwhelmed at times. Perhaps I'm a bit too traditionalist and don't care for this feint Dreamworks style of dialogue. "Yeah that's awkward" and the like.
    I agree. But I don't think it's a matter of being too traditionalist. It's a matter of getting tired of hearing unoriginal, sitcom-style dialogue in film after film.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Tomorrow's Child

^Thankfully the new trailer is very light on it.

Talking of which, its an outstanding trailer - really looking forward to this now.

Walt Disney

• Heavy Breather

I love how the new trailer says that it's their "Greatest Adventure since The Lion King". Those are some pretty big shoes to fill there movie. Are you sure you don't want to take that statement back......
    You sure...?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    New trailer recently released--and I have to say, this trailer is significantly better than the first two. The emphasis is actually on the plot, particularly Elsa's powers and the relationship with the sisters, we got some gorgeous shots of the animation, and see actual musical numbers highlighted instead of pop songs. This is a trailer that actually makes me excited to see the film (not whatever they were doing before).

It's almost as if they actually listened to the complaints for once, no? This trailer actually shows us more honestly what the movie is and I prefer that. Although in my opinion, they waited a little too long to tell us it's a musical... so long in fact that it was almost weird when the song finally comes in.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Moderator

Now having seen FROZEN twice and like it (despite a few things), and enjoying the antics of both Olaf AND Sven in the film... I went back to revisit the teaser....

wow. It's still not good! It's amazing how much money this movie made despite having HORRENDOUS marketing!

I had a lot of friends tell me that they still don't know what FROZEN is and asked if it's really about a snow man.

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    It's amazing how much money this movie made despite having HORRENDOUS marketing!
    While the marketing may be horrendous from our perspective, if we look at how much those Ice Age and Madagascar movies have made, then we may see why Disney was being deceptive. That's no excuse, but people flock to those things. Fortunately, it seems that very few in the general audience are disappointed in Frozen, and the particular audiences I've seen it with have audibly expressed their pleasure at having their expectations exceeded. I guess we could chalk it up as a marketing misdirection for a movie that is itself chock-full of misdirection (in a good way).

I had a lot of friends tell me that they still don't know what FROZEN is and asked if it's really about a snow man.
    The release of this entire scene, "In Summer," sure didn't change this impression, although it was an improvement:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFatVn1hP3o

I have knee-jerk reservations about showing people entire scenes, though, so imagine my surprise when I saw "Let It Go" released:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk

Well, at least they're letting the movie sell itself now, pretty much. The risk is obviously that revealing too much of the movie ahead of time could leave audiences less impressed than they otherwise would be, which could negatively impact word-of-mouth advertising and repeat viewing; on the other hand, a scene like this should get the attention of those who were turned off by the rest of the marketing campaign.
    Last edited by Robert Cook; 12-10-2013 at 01:14 PM.

• MiceChat Moderator

I truly believe that the success of this film is from advance critical praise from the major critics, skyrocketing the rotten tomatoes score to a very high 98% in its opening week. That score has gone down of course but that didn't matter. Disney created a very entertaining film that didn't win the first weekend, but word of mouth spread well enough that the 2nd weekend won.

As for misdirection, if that was Disney's aim, they succeeded, with many not even realizing it was a musical.

I just miss the good old fashioned honest marketing. Remember when Lion King's trailer was basically Circle of Life in its entirety? Who cared what the story was... WE WERE SOLD with that impressive showmanship in art and animation... and music. Pocahontas did it again with Colors of the Wind. Unfortunately the film wasn't "fun" enough for the summer crowd and business dwindled, but it was still a blockbuster.

With disney changing titles from Rapunzel to Tangled or The Snow Queen to Frozen certainly doesn't help confusion spread. It's a shame. But, Disney's marketing wing will certainly pat themselves on the back for a job well done, when i highly doubt their advertising got people in the seats.

I truly believe that the success of this film is from advance critical praise from the major critics, skyrocketing the rotten tomatoes score to a very high 98% in its opening week. That score has gone down of course but that didn't matter. Disney created a very entertaining film that didn't win the first weekend, but word of mouth spread well enough that the 2nd weekend won.
    Neither of us apparently has any data to prove one way or the other, but I suspect that the general public doesn't pay quite that much attention to the critics, especially for movies like this. I'm sure there was some effect that Disney might have been counting on, but for the most part--and this is merely my own view--a lot of children dragged their parents to see a silly movie about a snowman at a time when there was (and still is) very little direct competition. As far as I can tell, at least, Disney's plan succeeded brilliantly, with their false advertising giving a huge boost to the word-of-mouth advertising from parents who were stunned that the movie wasn't merely some dumb animated comedy (all too familiar with those by now). Disney also apparently managed to get many of those who are expressly looking for the latter into the seats during the first weekend, and once the movie is out there, the rest takes care of itself. I'm not happy because I think there are ethical questions here, and I have to keep telling other animation fans that the movie is not incredibly stupid, but in all honesty I've got to hand it to Disney's marketing department--they look like geniuses right now, and I'm just one of their tools.

As for misdirection, if that was Disney's aim, they succeeded, with many not even realizing it was a musical.
    Oh, I'm sure that misdirecting the public was their goal--there's no doubt about that. It probably wasn't done expressly to parallel what the movie often does in a story sense, but that's how it sort of worked out anyway by coincidence. I admit it's kind of strange to complain when you get more than what is advertised--and indeed the audiences I've seen Frozen with have responded very positively--but this level of misrepresentation of a product is pretty extreme.

I just miss the good old fashioned honest marketing. Remember when Lion King's trailer was basically Circle of Life in its entirety? Who cared what the story was... WE WERE SOLD with that impressive showmanship in art and animation... and music. Pocahontas did it again with Colors of the Wind. Unfortunately the film wasn't "fun" enough for the summer crowd and business dwindled, but it was still a blockbuster.
    Well, that's what Disney is doing now with "Let It Go" (and earlier with "In Summer"). If we want honesty, I guess we can ignore domestic advertisements in favor of Japanese advertisements, for example (and those of a few other countries).

By the way, releasing the entire "Let It Go" scene (at 720p no less) also serves the purpose of insinuating the song into the heads of AMPAS voters at just about the right time to increase the odds of winning the Best Original Song Oscar, which in turn should help promote the movie, of course.

With disney changing titles from Rapunzel to Tangled or The Snow Queen to Frozen certainly doesn't help confusion spread. It's a shame.
    I agree with regard to Tangled (what's even tangled about it?), but I'd actually have to disagree with regard to Frozen--I'm sure there are better names than "Frozen," but I don't think it should be called "The Snow Queen" because it is so very different from the original fairy tale. While Disney always changes a lot in their own versions, this is way more than usual for any adaptation, and it's not even being called an adaptation anymore, which is good (at least Disney has been honest about that). I don't have a problem with any of this, by the way--all I want here is honesty.

But, Disney's marketing wing will certainly pat themselves on the back for a job well done, when i highly doubt their advertising got people in the seats.
    I can't be certain, but I think their advertising accomplished exactly what it set out to accomplish--fooling the public (specifically young boys) into thinking that their movie is an Ice Age wannabe. Well, it fooled most animation fans, anyway, and I doubt that the general public was any more savvy. First get people who don't want to see this type of movie through the box office, and then when the truth is known eventually everybody else will want to see it. It pains me to admit that this was a brilliant marketing strategy--ruthless, but brilliant and effective on many levels. The fact that it pisses off some of us doesn't even show up on their spreadsheet. Fans of classic Disney animation are none of their concern, at least initially--the ones who show up will tell the rest and do their work for them, since WDAS had delivered the goods.
    Last edited by Robert Cook; 12-11-2013 at 04:45 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234