Lone Ranger Ambushed at Box Office, Disney Set For Huge Loss

To view the article, click here......

(Not sure why this article is posted in the music section at Yahoo, but it looks like they messed up again. Which happens a lot over there.)

'Lone Ranger' ambushed at box office, Disney may face loss

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - "The Lone Ranger," Walt Disney Co's big-budget western starring Johnny Depp, performed below expectations on Wednesday night, raising the possibility that the movie could saddle the media giant with a loss on the film.

The film, which cost an estimated $225 million (149 million pounds) to produce, generated $9.7 million during Wednesday showings, falling well behind "Despicable Me 2" from Comcast's Universal Pictures, which sold $34.3 million at the domestic box office, according to studio estimates.

Both films opened with limited showings on Tuesday. For the two-day period, "Despicable Me 2" generated $39 million and "The Lone Ranger" saw $11.7 million. Disney estimates "The Lone Ranger" will sell $45 million for the Wednesday through Sunday July Fourth holiday weekend, below industry experts' initial forecasts of $60 million to $70 million over the five days. "If it does end up grossing less than $50 million over the five-day stretch, it will most certainly go down as a misfire," said Jeff Bock, senior box office analyst for Exhibitor Relations, which tracks movie box office prospects.

The film's poor opening is a black eye for producer Jerry Bruckheimer, director Gore Verbinski and star Depp, the trio behind Disney's ultra-successful "Pirates of the Caribbean" series. Disney made their prior success a key part of marketing the current film, and Depp's international appeal still could help the film's overseas box office. "The Lone Ranger" is an action remake of a 1930s radio show and television series in the 1950s. Armie Hammer plays John Reid, the lawman who dons a mask to fight injustice in the Old West. This time, though, it is the Lone Ranger's Native American sidekick Tonto, played by Depp, who takes centre stage.

Critics have not embraced the movie. Among 110 reviews compiled on the Rotten Tomatoes website on Wednesday, just 25 percent recommended the film. Gitesh Pandya, editor of the website Box Office Guru, estimates the film will generate $100 million in domestic ticket sales. A $60 million opening over its first days would have generated a modest profit, according to Tony Wible, a managing director of Janney Montgomery Scott who follows Disney.

With that opening, he estimated the film would generate $180 million in domestic ticket sales and give Disney total revenues of $370 million from foreign, video and other sales. Studios and theatres generally share box office receipts. Disney spent $225 million to make the film and an estimated $100 million to market it. A Disney spokesperson was not available for comment on the studio's outlook for the film's profitability.

"The Lone Ranger" is the latest entry in Disney's strategy of spending more on fewer films to build franchises from big budget movies that can generate continued revenues from sequels, merchandise and outlets like its theme parks and TV properties. The company found such success with Marvel superhero films "The Avengers" and "Iron Man 3," and with Pixar's "Monsters University," but wrote down $200 million when sci-fi epic "John Carter" flopped last year.

The studios will update the box office results over the weekend.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• I'm from Canada eh!

Re: Lone Ranger Ambushed at Box Office, Disney Set For Huge Loss

I feel once the movie going audience has the time off (due to the holiday) it will do quite well. Despicable me has the benefit of being aimed at kids, who are off for summer. But maybe I'm wrong and it is a failure. Either way I will see it... Eventually.

• "Always On The Move..."

All my friends that have seen it have loved it and said not to pay attention to the critics. I'm going to be going this weekend. Looking forward to seeing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• Heavy Breather

I thought Disney learned their lesson with John Carter.

LOL, apparently not.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

I love the PotC movies and I was excited to see this movie but did not like it. It wasnt terrible but it wasnt great.

• Singing Drinker

Friend reaction is very mixed. I don't have many movies a year in my budget, this one's definitely on a "borrow a DVD" list.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    I feel once the movie going audience has the time off (due to the holiday) it will do quite well. Despicable me has the benefit of being aimed at kids, who are off for summer. But maybe I'm wrong and it is a failure. Either way I will see it... Eventually.
    I disagree with the bolded part. Our kids are 15 and 17 and are not at all in the target audience for Despicable Me 2. Yet that's what we are going to see tomorrow.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I really enjoyed The Lone Ranger. Glad that they explain how he got his name, and I'm glad that they had a little background flashback on why Tonto is somewhat excentric.

The critics really missed it on this movie. It's kinda sad that they can't enjoy a movie like this! Some said 2 1/2 hours was too long, but I disagee completely. The movie went along at a brisk pace, and at the end, I was surprised the 2 1/2 hours was over.

And I was glad to see this movie on the big screen! It should be no surprise that westerns are much more enjoyable on a huge theater screen, rather than just a personal home theater. The cinematography and train crashes alone are reason enough to see it in the theater. Seeing at home just wouldn't have the same impact.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I disagree with the bolded part. Our kids are 15 and 17 and are not at all in the target audience for Despicable Me 2. Yet that's what we are going to see tomorrow.
    Technically still kids?

Maybe I just have very little love for the DM franchise.

Hope you guys enjoy it!

• Heavy Breather

I spy with my little eyes, a Universal executive with pockets of green paper, surrounded by little yellow men.

Recent reports have been posted that D2 is trampling LR at the box office thus far.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

I haven't seen Lone Ranger, and after reading reviews I'm not likely to see it in a theater. From what I gather it has many problems. For me, the biggest would be that the title character is made to be a bumbling idiot instead of the smart, brave hero he is supposed to be. Another issue I've heard is that Tonto is too similar to Jack Sparrow, leaving his character unoriginal, overbearing and overdone. And finally, one minute the movie is trying to be funny but failing and the next minute is crossing over into grotesque violence and heavy issues better left to a serious drama.

We will probably see Despicable Me 2 this weekend.

• I do believe in fairies!

I agree with Tinks review. I had such high expectations considering the Jerry Bruckheimer, director Gore Verbinski and star Depp trio, but it fell flat and way below my expectations. The Lone Ranger was beyond frustrating and Johnny (who I absolutely love as an actor) only had moments of success in his portrayal of the noble Indian Tonto was supposed to be. I was sorry I wasted my money on it and will definitely not buy it. The Lone Ranger was a buffoon and Tonto was had a screw loose constantly feeding the dead bird on his head. It was sad. These two characters from my childhood were supposed to be clever, brave and fearless.

Sorry Johnny
    "While there is very little grown-up in a child, there's still a lot of child in every grown up." ~ Walt Disney

Looks like Despicable Me 2 is going to take the box office this weekend.