Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: Lone Ranger underperforms at box office, Disney may take a loss on film

L.A. Times, July 7: "Despicable Me 2 rules box office as Lone Ranger flops"

"With Despicable Me 2 dominating the Fourth of July box office, it was no holiday for The Lone Ranger.

The animated 3-D film had a lot to celebrate over the long Independence Day weekend as it took in an explosive $142.1 million between its debut on 7 p.m. Tuesday and Sunday evening, according to an estimate from distributor Universal Pictures. During that same period, the western starring Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer mustered up an embarrassing $48.9 million.

Such a weak opening puts "The Lone Ranger" on a pace to become one of the biggest big-budget bombs at the summer box office."
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Iron-Clad Allie

Disney should have filmed Lone Ranger in 3-D and made it appear like they are going all out to promote it. I'm going to see Dispicable Me in 3-D and Lone Ranger soon. Will report back.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Singing Drinker

I'm not sure filming it in 3-D would have helped. Oz the Great and Powerful was filmed specifically for 3-D (why, just LOOK at all those pointless "let's leer into the camera and chew some 3-D effects budget" moments!) and it didn't help polish that particular turd.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    I'm not sure filming it in 3-D would have helped. Oz the Great and Powerful was filmed specifically for 3-D (why, just LOOK at all those pointless "let's leer into the camera and chew some 3-D effects budget" moments!) and it didn't help polish that particular turd.
    The year is more than half over and Oz is currently #4 in earnings.

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Funny you say that considering Oz the Great and Powerful out grossed The Lone Ranger in its first weekend.

• Singing Drinker

Having watched Oz, the earnings bear no relation to the quality of the film.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

I'm pretty sure Ride Warrior was talking about what would have helped boost earnings, not quality.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I actually don't think Disney did a bad job marketing this one. We all knew it was coming out. But the critics savagely hated the movie.... and I believe that killed it more than anything else.

There are those who rely entirely on trailers, but if you heard enough people say "wow that was amazing", you would probably give it a try, even reluctantly.

The problem with Lone Ranger is that there's a good movie in there... it's just buried in a 2 1/2 hour film with a convoluted storyline. Like one positive review critic said, Lone Ranger is a rough cut of a better film.

It doesn't help matters that the budget went sky high but if you told me that the team behind the first 3 Pirates films and the oscar winning director of Rango was making a movie, I would assume that it would be amazing and trust them to do their art.

In this instance, they shot a screenplay that shouldn't have been green lit to start. But Gore Verbinski directed the heck out of what was given to him.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   
    • Artistic integrity

Well, well, well !!

If this movie flops, it's not because it's not a really good enjoyable movie!

It will because of other factors like:

* A time we live in, where the genre - The Western ... is about as relevant to most present day audiences as the Musical.
    * Marketing didn't pick the right aspects of it for trailers, and commercials
    * Critics being overly brutal
    * [ insert here other ridiculous reasons that didn't give this excellent film a fair shake ]

So, where I live ... the theater I go to is the best for the region. And the people not big movie goers. Auditoriums usually only partially filled. I had to queue up for this one! I NEVER have to do that in any film I've been to. Packed theater. People actually applauded at the end of the movie! And the people next to me gave it an enthusiastic - "That was really excellent," just as they got up from their seats.

The only bad thing anyone can say - It's not a remake of the "G" rated 1950s TV version where you can take your little kids. This one is meant for no one below the age of 12/13.

I loved the movie!

I had bad things to say about "Oz".

Tron Legacy was a bit "1 dimensional" in the story telling department.

I had some nasty things to say about the new Super Man movie.

This - I'D GO SEE IT AGAIN! The PotC films did get a little long in the tooth for me .. by the 4th one. This film with those same producers - A BREATH OF FRESH AIR.

To tank, is really not fair!

I hope people don't listen to critics to make up their minds for movies. Sometimes ... critics don't give a film proper service, when it actually deserves it.

And someday ... this will be a Bluray on my shelf!
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Glad you liked it! I didn't hate it, but I didn't think it was "great" either. But I do see a lot of good buried in there. It's not a disaster.... it just needs some major editing down.

I always wonder nowadays what Roger Ebert would have thought about certain movies and deep down, I bet he would be the one defender of The Lone Ranger and copycat movie critics would have followed suit, just to be "on the side with Roger".

Roger Ebert's website still exists and while he has another film critic filling in for him, I was pleasantly surprised at his review. He points out very astutely what was good about it and also touching on what wasn't. It's the fairest and most honest review I've read and not resorting to "UGHHH, I SAW THIS SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO" nonsense.

This here, is the type of film analysis and observation I expect from film critics and I love this review:
    The Lone Ranger Movie Review & Film Summary (2013) | Roger Ebert

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Disney should have filmed Lone Ranger in 3-D and made it appear like they are going all out to promote it. I'm going to see Dispicable Me in 3-D and Lone Ranger soon. Will report back.
    I saw both films yesterday. Noticed that there were lots of parents with kids at Dispicable Me, while no parents with kids were at Lone Ranger. Depp and the producers of Ranger tried to add mocabre elments to the film as if it were the same sort of film as Pirartes. Problem is that People expected the Lone Ranger to be more innocent (snd any humor to be simple). Dispicable Me was not in the least macobre, and it's humor was in a few places suttlely racy or raunchy....but overall simple and slapstick.

While I tremendously enjoyed Lone Ranger (and it too had some great slapstick comedy), they should not have tried to make a new Pirates film out of it. The part featuring an outlaw holding a human heart in a napkin (I won't say what he was doing with it) was a bit much.

• Iron-Clad Allie

I saw both films yesterday. Noticed that there were lots of parents with kids at Dispicable Me, while no parents with kids were at Lone Ranger. Depp and the producers of Ranger tried to add mocabre elments to the film as if it were the same sort of film as Pirartes. Problem is that People expected the Lone Ranger to be more innocent (snd any humor to be simple). Dispicable Me was not in the least macobre, and it's humor was in a few places suttlely racy or raunchy....but overall simple and slapstick.

While I tremendously enjoyed Lone Ranger (and it too had some great slapstick comedy), they should not have tried to make a new Pirates film out of it. The part featuring an outlaw holding a human heart in a napkin (I won't say what he was doing with it) was a bit much. Watching Silver eat scorpians (that endangered the Ranger and Tonto) was pretty cool, though.

There was an article posted on E! Entertainment's website titled, "The Lone Ranger bombs: What happened, the top 5 reasons."

Here's the link: The Lone Ranger bombs: What happened, the top 5 reasons

Unfortunately, the text of the article was formatted to prevent copy and pasting.

• Singing Drinker

Short summary of article: kids didn't go see it and the audience was out of the age bracket usually required to call a summer popcorn flick a success; LR's an older character with a less than stellar run of attempts to reboot and few of those as is; OY! the critics; Despicable Me was the kid's movie that kids wanted to see that weekend.

Is E! reading these forums?

• Senior Minion

Hollywood Reporter: Jerry Bruckheimer's Disney Future in Question As Moguls Defend His 'Lone Ranger'

"The producer's rich "Pirates 5" deal will almost certainly be renegotiated while Les Moonves, Ron Meyer and Jeffrey Katzenberg praise the "Rock of Gibraltar of Hollywood" after a pricey flop.

Amid continuing reverberations from the mega-failure of The Lone Ranger, it appears clear that the movie has damaged producer Jerry Bruckheimer's long and often highly successful relationship with Disney and will lead at minimum to a renegotiation of his rich deal for a fifth Pirates of the Caribbean, if not his eventual exit from the studio....

...In an important way, the outsized failure of Lone Ranger is having minimal impact as Wall Street analysts have shrugged off the loss despite predictions that a write-off of up to $190 million is coming. Nonetheless, Disney executives are deeply unhappy with the loss and the embarrassment. Sources say the studio battled with Verbinski over length and content and the director lost his final-cut privileges early on due to budget overages. But in practical terms, Disney was not in a position to take control of the picture, potentially alienating a star as important as Depp...."
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast