Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Singing Drinker

Re: Lone Ranger underperforms at box office, Disney may take a loss on film

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Hollywood Reporter: Jerry Bruckheimer's Disney Future in Question As Moguls Defend His 'Lone Ranger'

"The producer's rich "Pirates 5" deal will almost certainly be renegotiated while Les Moonves, Ron Meyer and Jeffrey Katzenberg praise the "Rock of Gibraltar of Hollywood" after a pricey flop.

Amid continuing reverberations from the mega-failure of The Lone Ranger, it appears clear that the movie has damaged producer Jerry Bruckheimer's long and often highly successful relationship with Disney and will lead at minimum to a renegotiation of his rich deal for a fifth Pirates of the Caribbean, if not his eventual exit from the studio....

...In an important way, the outsized failure of Lone Ranger is having minimal impact as Wall Street analysts have shrugged off the loss despite predictions that a write-off of up to $190 million is coming. Nonetheless, Disney executives are deeply unhappy with the loss and the embarrassment. Sources say the studio battled with Verbinski over length and content and the director lost his final-cut privileges early on due to budget overages. But in practical terms, Disney was not in a position to take control of the picture, potentially alienating a star as important as Depp...."
    Y'know, reading this after reading a lengthy conspiracy-filled "expose" on the theoretical attempt to torpedo Pacific Rim in order to lower Del Toro's pricetag for other projects makes this article seem a little... hmmmmmmmm........
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Y'know, reading this after reading a lengthy conspiracy-filled "expose" on the theoretical attempt to torpedo Pacific Rim in order to lower Del Toro's pricetag for other projects makes this article seem a little... hmmmmmmmm........
    Well, now that you mention it, when I read that Jeffrey (of all people!) was praising Bruckheimer, I did spray a mouthful of coffee all over my keyboard.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Short summary of article: kids didn't go see it and the audience was out of the age bracket usually required to call a summer popcorn flick a success; LR's an older character with a less than stellar run of attempts to reboot and few of those as is; OY! the critics; Despicable Me was the kid's movie that kids wanted to see that weekend.

Is E! reading these forums?
    Those are good reasons, I wonder how is going to do international here in my country is not in the cinema yet however I saw in a children section in the newspaper today that they were going to raffle tickets to kids, it doesn't surprise me because movies like Jurassic Park were "for all ages" here to them Dinosaurs=kids

Lone Ranger will be too so to them Disney=kids and this means more money to them

Also when I went to see the last Batman movie, it was for 13 and up but there was a 2 year old next to us and he was crying nearly all the show

• Artistic integrity

I read those 5 reasons from that link ... and some sounded more hyperbole .. than "Good Solid Reasons".

I will say though ... the one about "making it a PG-13 film with some violence, not intended for any kid under 13" ... A problem.

From the 1930s radio program .... to the 1950s TV show ... This has established itself as a storyline and characters that kids would love.

Now Bruckheimer decides to insert a few "Quentin Torrentino" gruesome scenes into the mix - That's going to say in No-Uncertain-Terms .... This is not a kids movie.

If they edited out those scenes, and had less guys getting shot (good or bad) ... could have helped make it viewable for kids.

I think the other thing that didn't help ... Westerns are not as popular as they were in the 30s through the 60s.

Same with musicals.

"Chicago" back in 2002 was excellent. But it seems ... genres that were more popular in an earlier time in history, can't seem to capture audiences like they did in early times, and cope with the giant sized box office expectations there are now.

They scored big with the PotC films. But it seems what audiences .. and primarily what kids are looking for ... are films like Avengers, Transformers, Pacific Rim .. and other .. very "techy" stuff.

Just my semi-educated guess.

And Westerns? And a Western with a bit of a "Quentin T." twist? That could narrow down your audiences.

And it seems that's exactly what has happened. Albeit, some other good reasons as well.

But was it a well produced film ... with plenty of action, and some 'depth' to the story? Absolutely.

I'd go see it again. I prefer it over "PotC" films.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 07-10-2013 at 07:21 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

I have yet to see Lone Ranger, and I still wonder if it will be a good or bad experience. I remember watching the trailers and saying, "This will either be the greatest movie ever or the worst." Oddly the few general public people who have seen the film say they like it, while critics panned it. Maybe the critics are thinking a little to highbrow, or they just wanted a summer movie to trash.

As much as I love Science Fiction and Superheroes, I was hoping Lone Ranger would have revived Westerns, such an undervalued genre in Hollywood right now.

But the Lego sets for the film, were excellent. I don't care how hard the film tanks I am keeping those!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I recently did a podcast with some film buddies about the Lone Ranger and even though we talked and talked about everything that was wrong with it... we all kind of agreed that there are a lot of things we really liked. It's not so black and white the way the critics made it out to be. And shame on them for not being REAL critics and telling us that.

The movie IS too long and it IS too dark and violent, but edit that out and you have a pretty decent picture. Of course it could have been written a lot tighter even then, but it's definitely not a "hot mess" that everyone made it out to be.

It opened #1 in Russia by the way.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Gore Verbinski's films have kind of lost their shine to me. I had to be dragged kicking and screaming to the first Pirates film (the name of Bruckheimer fills me with as much glee as the name Michael Bay).

As it stands, it looks like Bruckheimer is going down as the whipping boy for this production (remember in 2003, when John Musker and Ron Clements were chastised as well for being 'out-of-control' with making their film?).

As it stands, I do agree in one article that several of Bruckheimers film suggestions have not been so hot for Disney (I had no interest in Prince of Persia, or Sorcerer's Apprentice).

In another arena, I do feel that if they had stopped at the first Pirates film, all would have been well. Jack Sparrow in those little doses was what made him so popular. But with each film, they kept making it out like 'Jack is the center of the pirate universe,' until by the 4th film, he becomes an annoying leading character, with an even flimsier plotline and sidekick characters (I still question Gibbs' loyalty to Jack, given that it looked like Jack had set him up to be executed).

• Avid MC reader since 2005

I just saw that for the last 2 days that Lone Ranger dropped even further in the charts to 4th place! This weekend it will probably fall to 6th or 7th due to new movies coming out. Big embarrassment for Disney.

Just got back from the movie.

On an entertainment level: I enjoyed it, I wanted to see where the story would go and I enjoyed the characters. It was fun.

On a logical level: I was having issues with the movie throwing history through a loop. As you can tell from my signature I am a big railfan; and every train inaccuracy threw my confidence in the film down the drain. Promontory Summit in Texas? The Transcontinental Railroad being built by this "T.C.R.R."? What the heck was that thing coupling the trains? Enough said.

Now I don't think the film bombed due to train inaccuracies, I am one of the few people who cares to notice that. However I think Disney underestimated the appeal of Despicable Me 2, did nobody at Disney notice the appeal of Minions? Also I think the film marketing relied to much on making it seem Tonto=Jack Sparrow. I think the film going audience did not want to see another Jack Sparrow, and it would have been better if Disney showed the original parts of Tonto.

Also the film seemed to be lost on its message, or the lack their off. I could never make up my mind if the Calvary leader was truly corrupt, or stupid. I could not tell if I was supposed to feel sorry for the Comanche or view them as to foolish to not see the problems with a suicide attack.

Problems aside I still enjoyed the film; and also my local theater was packed for the film. Maybe this could still end up being a sleeper hit?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Your arguments against the film are certainly logical. I had some trouble with the rationale of Barry Pepper's Cavalry lead as well. But I kind of just owe it to the production and possibly the changing of heads at the studio.

Lone Ranger very much feels like a rough cut of something better. Who knows what it would have looked like if Dick Cook stayed on board and saw things through to the end. We may never know.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by xboxtravis7992 View Post
    ...Maybe this could still end up being a sleeper hit?
    If so, it looks to be a long sleep -- its second weekend estimated gross dropped to $11 million, in fifth place behind Despicable Me 2, Grown Ups 2, Pacific Rim and The Heat.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123