• Tomorrow's Child

Saving Mr. Banks trailer

The first trailer for Saving Mr. Banks (the story of how Walt and PL Travers' got Mary Poppins to the big screen) is out.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Non-Minion

Saving Mr Banks Trailer

IGN released a trailer for the new movie starring Tom Hanks as Uncle Walt. Enjoy

Saving Mr. Banks - Trailer #1 - YouTube
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

• -

Re: Saving Mr Banks Trailer

Thank you for sharing this, but there's already a thread for this in the movie forum:

http://micechat.com/forums/walt-disney-pictures/184261-saving-mr-banks-trailer.html
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Re: Saving Mr Banks Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by christianAdam View Post
    IGN released a trailer for the new movie starring Tom Hanks as Uncle Walt. Enjoy

Saving Mr. Banks - Trailer #1 - YouTube
    Official Trailer (no ad)

I'm trying to avoid playing "spot the anachronism"

Talking Re: Saving Mr. Banks trailer

it SERIOUSLY has me so excited. i mean a movie with tom hanks as Walt.. come on!
    that's just insane perfection!
    ...but on twitter a lot of people have been saying maybe the casting should of been done a little differently because Walt's voice is so distinctive and like us avid Disney fanatics we all know that voice. and some people are a little skeptical over tome hanks not having his voice down?

some people can be a little to critical but im totally for this im so stoked!
    To all who come to this Happy Place.... WELCOME șoș
    -ig: thelipsticklizz tw:lipsticklizz

• Disneyland PAP

Re: Saving Mr. Banks trailer

I was hoping watching it would convince me of Hanks as Walt, but he doesn't. However as the trailer continued, I did get used to him playing "a Walt Disney-type" character. Then the story took over and by the end of it I got hooked by the story. And I'm looking forward to seeing it for that reason above all. I hope folks, especially Disney fans like me, don't get too caught up with needing to see actors who look like the real-life people they're supposed to play. If it's a good film, then it's the acting talent that matters most.

I am intriged by this movie. It also makes me want to read the Mary Poppins novels (if I could find unedited versions) and a decent biography on P. L. Travers.
    Nit-picky issue that has nothing to do with the movie: Why are all the horses on King Arthur's Carousel white? Wouldn't they have still been multicolored at this time? Did Jingles (the horse P.L. Travers) have a different color scheme before it was switched to pastel colors.
    If anything, it will be nice to see the Disney Studio and Disneyland how they once were.
    Tom Hanks looks like he will be a good Walt Disney and Emma Thompson seems spot-on as P.L. Travers.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

In the trailer, Emma Thompson is acceptable P L Travers, as I have never seen nor heard her on any audio or video recording.

HOWEVER, the clip very well shows that not even Tom Hanks is able to portray Uncle Walt. So many of us grew up watching Walt Disney host the Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights, whether it be the originally airing or in reruns. Which one of us HASN'T seen various video clips of him from his shows, on tv or in the extras on so many dvd and blu ray discs. We all have become so familiar with of his on air personality, as he was one of the very first tv personalities. Walt had his own unique voice, and mannerisms, and we grew to know him almost as if he was our own uncle. Perhaps, that's why he was know by many as Uncle Walt. There is just no way that Tom Hanks could or would be able to create the illusion of portraying Uncle Walt.

It would seem highly likely that anyone who had the privilege to personally working with Walt and know him more than just his on air personality, would even be less likely to see Walt in Tom Hanks performance.

They really would have needed to do much more with the make up, and with Tom's voice, in order for Saving Mr. Banks to be believable for me.

And I disagree, It is NOT just the story that is important, especially when portraying REAL people, casting the roles to people who can transmogrify themselves into the person they are portraying whether REAL or Fictional. A good performance should NEVER be, "Well, that was good enough for so and so portraying Walt Disney" That ACTOR needs to BECOME the person they are portraying, NOT simply be their own version of the person they are suppose to be.

And unfortunately, it is evident in the trailer that the storyline has possibilities, however Tom Hanks is NO Walt Disney. Tom Hanks is only doing Tom Hanks pretending to be a Tom Hanks version of Walt. IT just doesn't work! Tom bit off more than he could chew with this role, and it's evident that the Disney Company wanted a big name to portray Walt, But unfortunately, they ended up casting someone who just couldn't bring us Walt.
    Last edited by Aladdin; 07-12-2013 at 08:54 PM.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    In the trailer, Emma Thompson is acceptable P L Travers, as I have never seen nor heard her on any audio or video recording.

HOWEVER, the clip very well shows that not even Tom Hanks is able to portray Uncle Walt. So many of us grew up watching Walt Disney host the Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights, whether it be the originally airing or in reruns. Which one of us HASN'T seen various video clips of him from his shows, on tv or in the extras on so many dvd and blu ray discs. We all have become so familiar with of his on air personality, as he was one of the very first tv personalities. Walt had his own unique voice, and mannerisms, and we grew to know him almost as if he was our own uncle. Perhaps, that's why he was know by many as Uncle Walt. There is just no way that Tom Hanks could or would be able to create the illusion of portraying Uncle Walt.

It would seem highly likely that anyone who had the privilege to personally working with Walt and know him more than just his on air personality, would even be less likely to see Walt in Tom Hanks performance.

They really would have needed to do much more with the make up, and with Tom's voice, in order for Saving Mr. Banks to be believable for me.

And I disagree, It is NOT just the story that is important, especially when portraying REAL people, casting the roles to people who can transmogrify themselves into the person they are portraying whether REAL or Fictional. A good performance should NEVER be, "Well, that was good enough for so and so portraying Walt Disney" That ACTOR needs to BECOME the person they are portraying, NOT simply be their own version of the person they are suppose to be.

And unfortunately, it is evident in the trailer that the storyline has possibilities, however Tom Hanks is NO Walt Disney. Tom Hanks is only doing Tom Hanks pretending to be a Tom Hanks version of Walt. IT just doesn't work! Tom bit off more than he could chew with this role, and it's evident that the Disney Company wanted a big name to portray Walt, But unfortunately, they ended up casting someone who just couldn't bring us Walt.
    I predict you see the film then change your mind.

As far as casting Walt goes....anybody seen Memphis Belle? Billy Zane as Val with the little mustache and the low voice? Just sayin'--that's who I'd pick. Bonus: great eyebrows!