Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• I'm a Lutheran

re: PREVIEW: "Saving Mr. Banks" - Tom Hanks as Walt Disney (Merged)

Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Kingdom Comedian

After doing a little more research, I take back what I said about the trailer showing the whole story.

Now I'm just wondering how on Earth they are going to END this movie?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    The Mickey costume in that photo looks to me like the Bill Justice design that first appeared in late 1964 (the tour guide is Julie Reems, who appeared with Walt in the January, 1965 tencennial episode of "Wonderful World of Color" and later became the first Disneyland Ambassador). I'd guess the date of the photo as Christmas season '64 or '65.

The scary Mickey costume heads that were used in the park from opening until 1959 were borrowed from the Ice Capades. They were replaced in '59 by a still-off-model-but-not-quite-so-scary Mickey head. The real change didn't happen until 1961, when Disneyland began rolling out the first of several versions of Mickey costumes designed by animator Bill Justice at Walt's request.

The only anachronisms that jumped out at me in the trailer were the carousel and Fantasyland background at 02:43, and the Pooh plushes in the baskets at 01:36 (Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree wouldn't appear until two years after Poppins). The Mickey balloons in the same scene appear to be period-correct, but I'm going from memory (for years, on every trip to Disneyland I would buy them, deflate 'em and breathe the helium to annoy my sisters with the Donald Duck voice, and save them, but the balloon collection went the same way as my collection of animation cells that Disneyland sold for a dollar each -- played with, worn out and tossed away).

The Mickey at the Poppins premiere at 00:52 in the trailer looks to me to be correct for that period (October 1964), although it's a bit hard to tell due to the brevity of the scene and the angle of Mickey's head.

The Mickey plush at 01:57 is anybody's guess. It appears to be a gift for Travers, so deserves a pass as a potential one-off.

Excessive Disney geekiness? I don't think so. There are, and have been for decades, uncounted collectors of Disneyana around the world. As much as any pop-culture collectibles in history, the precise details of date-and-design of everything Disney and Disneyland are well known. If the makers of this first film to portray Walt didn't employ someone from Archives to make certain that every Disney costume, prop and background was as accurate as the film's recreation of Walt's office, then boo to them.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-12-2013 at 03:01 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    My take on Hanks' performance in the trailer -- speaking as someone who grew up watching Walt every Wednesday night (then Friday night, then Sunday night), and who has been a Tom Hanks fan since Big -- is that I'm seeing and hearing Walt's physical and speech mannerisms woven well with those of Hanks. Which to me is as it should be. Like Holbrook's Twain, Whitmore's Roosevelt or Hopkins' Nixon, it's valid for an actor to perform in pas de deux with the historical character he is depicting (i.e. depiction is as dramatically valid as duplication).

My overall gut reaction to the trailer is that this film has Hit written all over it. I suspect it will appeal to audiences far beyond Disney fandom.
    Agreed, Mr. Wiggins. Particularly the part in bold. Well put!

I, like others, was initially a little apprehensive about Hanks in the role of Disney. I wasn't quite sure what to expect. But after playing the trailer several times and gaining the ability to look past the distinct sound of his voice (the only thing that distracted me upon first viewing the trailer), I have very few doubts remaining about his portrayal of Disney and anxiously look forward to seeing more. Based on what we've seen from the trailer, he certainly does have Walt's mannerisms down well and brings a certain charm to the role. I also think that Emma Thompson looks spectacular as P.L. Travers, and I'm excited to see the Sherman Brothers in the film (I think my particular favorite moment from the trailer is when one of them inconspicuously covers up the sheet music for "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" after Travers criticizes them for making up words).

I am still wondering what kind of coaches were riding behind Engine No. 2

I can't remember what year they started to phase out the old passenger coaches and exchange them for the excursion and holiday coaches. From that one frame, I could tell that they looked to be the excursion/holiday ones. All I know is that they started to swap out the old coaches with the new ones a few years around the time this movie is taking place, but I can't remember if it was a few years before or after...

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

It is fun to point out all the anachronisms. But I encourage you all to look past that and ignore them when watching this movie.

This is not the only movie to display anachronisms and things that wouldn't make sense for the time period. And this is not limited just to Disney movies. I also frequent a Las Vegas travel forum site (am a lurker mostly) but from time to time topics come up about movies that take place in Vegas, and even then they start noticing things that could never take place (like "you can't look out your window in the MGM and see Ceasars Palace directly across the street!" and things like that).

So while it might be annoying for some to see this about Disneyland it is not limited to movies about Disneyland. It happens with many other locations as well. Even Tom Hanks as Walt falls in to this category to a certain extent. So I suggest to sit back, relax, try to clear your mind, and enjoy the movie.

• Heavy Breather

Tim, they'll either A) Show the historically accurate side and Travers will hate the movie, or B) They'll make it a happy ending and she loves the movie.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    It is fun to point out all the anachronisms. But I encourage you all to look past that and ignore them when watching this movie.

This is not the only movie to display anachronisms and things that wouldn't make sense for the time period. And this is not limited just to Disney movies. I also frequent a Las Vegas travel forum site (am a lurker mostly) but from time to time topics come up about movies that take place in Vegas, and even then they start noticing things that could never take place (like "you can't look out your window in the MGM and see Ceasars Palace directly across the street!" and things like that).

So while it might be annoying for some to see this about Disneyland it is not limited to movies about Disneyland. It happens with many other locations as well. Even Tom Hanks as Walt falls in to this category to a certain extent. So I suggest to sit back, relax, try to clear your mind, and enjoy the movie.
    Realistically, that's just not going to happen. Not when it's the first movie about a man who for nearly four generations has been possibly the most famous, and certainly the most beloved, in the entertainment business. Not when that movie is being done by a corporation that bears his name but is notorious for discarding his philosophy and style.

Script, direction, Hanks' acting, anachronisms, historical accuracy -- let's not kid ourselves, you might find five guys in East Bristlecone, Wyoming who don't know about Walt Disney, but for the rest of the domestic movie market and much of the world market, customers and critics alike are going to have every element of this puppy under a 10,000x microscope.

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Script, direction, Hanks' acting, anachronisms, historical accuracy -- let's not kid ourselves, you might find five guys in East Bristlecone, Wyoming who don't know about Walt Disney, but for the rest of the domestic movie market and much of the world market, customers and critics alike are going to have every element of this puppy under a 10,000x microscope.
    Although I ususally agree with you Mr Wiggins, on this one I am not so sure. The hyperattention to detail required by those of us on the board is in no way going to be duplicated in the majority of the United States, whether it is the guys in East Bristlecone, Wyoming, or the family in Chicago who likes Disney but doesn't have the park and movie timelines committed to memory. With all due respect to the posters who noted these questions, most Americans aren't going to obsess over which carriages are being pulled by the train or if the Mickey costume being used is a year or two out of date. Most won't even notice the Fantasyland rides showing their makeover fronts in the background of a shot as being anachronistic.

I think DisneyIPresume is saying not to let hyperattention to detail ruin the overall movie for you. If the reason you pan the movie is because of the Winnie the Pooh plushies in a bin the chracters pass by, you may just miss a great set of performances from Emma and Tom, not to mention the other actors potraying Disney legends.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    Although I ususally agree with you Mr Wiggins, on this one I am not so sure. The hyperattention to detail required by those of us on the board is in no way going to be duplicated in the majority of the United States, whether it is the guys in East Bristlecone, Wyoming, or the family in Chicago who likes Disney but doesn't have the park and movie timelines committed to memory. With all due respect to the posters who noted these questions, most Americans aren't going to obsess over which carriages are being pulled by the train or if the Mickey costume being used is a year or two out of date. Most won't even notice the Fantasyland rides showing their makeover fronts in the background of a shot as being anachronistic.

I think DisneyIPresume is saying not to let hyperattention to detail ruin the overall movie for you. If the reason you pan the movie is because of the Winnie the Pooh plushies in a bin the chracters pass by, you may just miss a great set of performances from Emma and Tom, not to mention the other actors potraying Disney legends.
    Yep. That's pretty much what I was trying to say (writing a post at 5:30 in the morning after just waking up is way more difficult than you'd think!)

Not only that, but Disney isn't the only ones to do this sort of thing. In The Naked Gun, the Angels are playing a home game at Dodger Stadium. In Jerry McGuire, which was filmed in various locations in Orange County, the view of Newport Beach from Jerry's office at the beginning of the film would be impossible - no building exists which affords that particular view.

Just go to IMDB and look at the goofs section on a particular movie and you will find that Disney is not the only subject this happens to.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

I also want to say that i think this is the PERFECT place to discuss such goofs. Of course we as a group of Disney nerds are going to find every single issue, and that is fine. We just need to separate minor issues from major ones. Obviously the project totally loses respect if you can see DCA in any of the shots!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    I appreciate your post, and as I said on a previous post, my gut reaction to the trailer is that this movie has Hit written all over it.

But I also think there's no question that because of the combination of the subject matter, the period it covers, the studio that is making it and the period it in which it is being released, this film will likely be subject to scrutiny of all its aspects, from its script and Hanks' performance to its historical accuracy and anachronisms. Be it Disneyana collectors or Disneyland fans, people who admire Walt or who grew up loving Mary Poppins, I think this movie will "stir the pot" just by virtue of the special (I would say unique) place in which America holds its subject matter. Hopefully it'll be an enjoyable stir.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-12-2013 at 09:22 AM.

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

I missed your comment that you thought it would be a hit. My apologies on that.

• Senior Minion

^ Thanks, AH, no prob at all.

- Neil Gabler

• Candlelight Caroler

I thought you might enjoy this audition tape (for another role) posted on YouTube by the actor playing Dick Van Dyke, Kris Kyer. He is a visual look-alike to be sure.

Kris Kyer audition as Dick Van Dyke - YouTube

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast