Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

re: PREVIEW: "Saving Mr. Banks" - Tom Hanks as Walt Disney (Merged)

Wow, gpiltz! Great find! He really is amazingly like Dick Van Dyke. Thanks for sharing that.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Citizen of EPCOT

Happy to share the goodies of the internet when I find them! I have to say, even as much as we will disect this film, I did get goosebumps the first time I watched. I also shared a laugh when the sheet music was hidden. I think it will be an endearing film, and will take us to that classic emotional place where movies are meant to.

• I'm a fiddle player......

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post

Not only that, but Disney isn't the only ones to do this sort of thing. In The Naked Gun, the Angels are playing a home game at Dodger Stadium. In Jerry McGuire, which was filmed in various locations in Orange County, the view of Newport Beach from Jerry's office at the beginning of the film would be impossible - no building exists which affords that particular view.

Just go to IMDB and look at the goofs section on a particular movie and you will find that Disney is not the only subject this happens to.
    In Angels in the Outfield, the movie is filmed at the Oakland Coliseum.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    In The Naked Gun, the Angels are playing a home game at Dodger Stadium. In Jerry McGuire, which was filmed in various locations in Orange County, the view of Newport Beach from Jerry's office at the beginning of the film would be impossible - no building exists which affords that particular view.
    Quote Originally Posted by napamaninsocal View Post
    In Angels in the Outfield, the movie is filmed at the Oakland Coliseum.
    The analogy doesn't apply -- those are fictional stories about fictional characters. Saving Mr. Banks is a dramatization of actual historical events that involves a famous historical figure. It takes place in extremely well known and well documented locations, including and especially Disneyland, during a period of history that was experience by many people who are alive today, and is known by many more through photographs. The criteria for criticism of its historical accuracy are entirely different than for fictional films. Specifically, trying to pass off today's Disneyland for that of the early 1960's in a film by the Disney Studios about Walt Disney is guaranteed to be criticized (if that's in fact what the filmmakers did).
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-13-2013 at 11:04 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

By the way, the train that's shown in the movie (at Disneyland) is pulling these cars behind it.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    The analogy doesn't apply -- those are fictional stories about fictional characters. Saving Mr. Banks is a dramatization of actual historical events that involves a famous historical figure. It takes place in extremely well known and well documented locations, including and especially Disneyland, during a period of history that was experience by many people who are alive today, and is known by many more through photographs. The criteria for criticism of its historical accuracy are entirely different than for fictional films. Specifically, trying to pass off today's Disneyland for that of the early 1960's in a film by the Disney Studios about Walt Disney is guaranteed to be criticized (if that's in fact what the filmmakers did).
    Lincoln was criticized - in legislative ways even - after it's release and the reaction did nothing to slow the movie down. I'd say Lincoln is at least as widely known as Walt.

There are those of us who know the details. There are the rest of the planet that don't. I'm guessing they're doing what Spielberg did - shoot for enough details to hopefully please the hardcore nerd historians (MAH PEEPS!), take liberties where they feel necessary to get the film made.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• World of Color

Talking Saving Mr. Banks

Saving Mr. Banks Official Trailer #1 (2013) - Tom Hanks Movie - YouTube

I know us Disney fans are waiting for this movie to come out. But I have one question. Who here when watching the movie is going to point out of the out of place stuff that was not there back in 1961.

• ~

Re: Saving Mr. Banks

• Selfie Expert

Re: Saving Mr. Banks

Be sure to point out that Tom Hanks isn't actually Walt Disney!!

I hope people point these things out with the intent of just sharing facts, and not to point out "flaws". At least they filmed on site instead of using something computer generated.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Disneyland 20 year APH

Re: PREVIEW: "Saving Mr. Banks" - Tom Hanks as Walt Disney (Merged)

Hey remember when pointing out all the out of place details to think of Dick Van Dyke having to apologize to the royal family of England for his bad accent...talk about getting things right.

For me I am going to enjoy this movie and remember it as a piece of art and not a historical accurate depicting of the making of Marry Poppins.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• former CM

I can't wait to see this, and I will even if it gets a mixed or low Metacritic.com score. (I normally don't do that.)

The preview looks excellent! (To me.) I hope the Mary Poppins melodies are used as well in the movie (especially as background music) as they are in the preview. I also hope the movie mentions that at about the same period the movie takes place, Walt was involved in the '64 World Fair, POTC & the HM, and what would become WDW.

Tim, they'll either A) Show the historically accurate side and Travers will hate the movie, or B) They'll make it a happy ending and she loves the movie.
    I am not too worried about all the little details of the movie but I sure do hope they go the historically accurate route with the ending. I think it may actually disappoint me if they go route B.

And I have to agree that previews these days do give away too much of the movie. Maybe most Disney fans did know that Mary Poppins was about Mr. Banks (and I guess I should've known from the title "Saving Mr. Banks") But that really could've been a twist in the movie for myself and others that didn't know that.

But overall I am really looking forward to this movie. the scene with Tom Hanks as Walt at the entrance of Disneyland gives me goosebumps every time. And the Sherman Brothers' sheet music scene cracks me up. In the movie "The Boys: The Sherman Brothers' Story" the brothers actually talk about how scary it was working with Travers so I think about that when I see that scene and it makes me laugh.

• Quiet As A Mouse!

It's a Secret........... Sssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!

I Get In. I Get Out. I Never Get Noticed!
    - From "Prep And Landing"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123