Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

PREVIEW: "Saving Mr. Banks" - Tom Hanks as Walt Disney (Merged)

Here's the first trailer for "Saving Mr. Banks" starring Tom Hanks as Walt Disney:
    'Saving Mr. Banks' Trailer: Tom Hanks as Walt Disney in 'Mary Poppins' Biopic

It's the behind-the-scenes story of how the classic "Mary Poppins" movie came to be.

re: PREVIEW: "Saving Mr. Banks" - Tom Hanks as Walt Disney (Merged)

Is it bad that the first thing I want to talk about is the railroad that has less than a second in the clip? Could anyone tell what kind of coaches were following Engine No. 2?

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
    Is it bad that the first thing I want to talk about is the railroad that has less than a second in the clip?
    It's absolutely not bad! One of the things all of us Disneyland fans are going to notice and discuss is anything in this movie that's an anachronism -- and rightly so. Given Disney's access to every detail of how Disneyland looked during that period, and the capabilities of today's CGI, they'll be rightfully raked over the coals if they don't get the park's period details correct.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

I notice the 1983 Fantasyland facades such as Pinnochio's Daring Journey while they are on the Carousel.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    I notice the 1983 Fantasyland facades such as Pinnochio's Daring Journey while they are on the Carousel.
    Not-A-Good-Sign #1. Hopefully it's a pre-process clip, not from the final cut.

- Neil Gabler

Ignoring all the visual contemporary cues that are sure to break the suspension of time-period disbelief, my primary concern is that the audience will be too tied-up trying to ignore that Tom Hanks is Tom Hanks to become invested in the story. He is one of my favorite modern-day actors and a remarkable producer to boot, but I don't hear Walt when I watch this trailer.

I see Tom and Emma.
    ~ Erik

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Well....I can already tell this movie is going to be spit right down the middle....many people will not be able to see past Tom Hanks and will see little things that were not in the 1050s......others like my self are there for a fun ride based loosely on history

• film975

Actually, this turned out much better than I anticipated. It looks like it will be an entertaining movie. I love the idea of Hanks as Walt recreating segments from the Disneyland TV show. Also love that shot of him at the Disneyland main gate. Awesome!

• I'm listening.

Tom Hanks makes Walt Disney sound like Lyndon B. Johnson. Listen for the twang....

• Senior Minion

My take on Hanks' performance in the trailer -- speaking as someone who grew up watching Walt every Wednesday night (then Friday night, then Sunday night), and who has been a Tom Hanks fan since Big -- is that I'm seeing and hearing Walt's physical and speech mannerisms woven well with those of Hanks. Which to me is as it should be. Like Holbrook's Twain, Whitmore's Roosevelt or Hopkins' Nixon, it's valid for an actor to perform in pas de deux with the historical character he is depicting (i.e. depiction is as dramatically valid as duplication).

My overall gut reaction to the trailer is that this film has Hit written all over it. I suspect it will appeal to audiences far beyond Disney fandom.

- Neil Gabler

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Olson View Post
    Ignoring all the visual contemporary cues that are sure to break the suspension of time-period disbelief, my primary concern is that the audience will be too tied-up trying to ignore that Tom Hanks is Tom Hanks to become invested in the story. He is one of my favorite modern-day actors and a remarkable producer to boot, but I don't hear Walt when I watch this trailer.

I see Tom and Emma.
    Yeah, I agree. I just can't get past seeing Tom Hanks. I'm not seeing Walt Disney :T

• Kingdom Comedian

Looks great. I'm in..."shut up and take my money."

But why does Hollywood always have to put way too much in the trailer? I feel like we've seen the whole story

• Senior Minion

^ I usually can't stand trailers that give away the whole film. But in this case, where everyone knows how the story will end (Poppins gets made Walt's way and becomes a megahit), the pitch is Walt and Travers duking it out. To that end the trailer works well for me -- it reminded me of classic Tracy/Hepburn chemistry (but without the romance).
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-11-2013 at 06:35 PM.

- Neil Gabler

• Heavy Breather

I hate when trailers give away so much. I like when trailers give little snipets of scenes to peak curiosity. That way people's curiosity will convince them to see more.

That being said, Tom Hanks looks and sounds great as Walt, and I'm interested to see how Ms(Mrs?) Travers story unfolds.

Yet I still can't get past that Mickey costume, I mean it looks like a costume from that knock off Disneyland from China. I know it only shows up for a few seconds in the trailer but still....Scary.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    Yet I still can't get past that Mickey costume, I mean it looks like a costume from that knock off Disneyland from China. I know it only shows up for a few seconds in the trailer but still....Scary.
    I'm pretty sure that is what the Mickey Mouse costume looked like in the 1960's. It is authentic, I think.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast