View Poll Results: Your Expectations For Ride Based On Planes &/Or Sequel, Planes: Fire & Rescue

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ride Will Likely Be Based On the Original "Planes". Film.

0 0%
  • Ride Will Likely Be Based On Sequel, " Planes: Fire & Rscue."

0 0%
  • Ride Will Likely Be Based On Both Planes Movies Combined.

1 11.11%
  • Botjh Planes Movies Will Crash $ Burn : Any Ride Plans Will Go Up In Smoke.

8 88.89%
  • I want an original ride that would lift my wing s and spin my propellers!

2 22.22%
  • I want a radio control Planes: Fire & Rescue Plane, so I could help fight forest fires.

0 0%
  • Movies and rides about planes terrify me, as I'm affraid I would crash land.

0 0%
  • Make a movie based on Goofy's Flight School, then Disney could save mone on a ride.

0 0%
  • Create A Ride Based On the Mickey Mouse cartoon, "Plane Crazy" For Pete's Sake.

0 0%
  • If Pretty Little Bluebirds Fly Above The Rainbow, Why Oh Why Can't I?!

1 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• ~

Re: Disney Must Expect Planes To Be High Flying Hit: Sequel Release Date Is Already O

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Walt Disney and his company was founded on quality toons; not animation as a fine quality art. I have faith Lasseter and others overseers are demanding the highest quality storytelling and stylin' fun toon animation. the company is not about to spend money on a trilogy that looks like it was produced on an Etch-O-Scetch.
    Exactly. Disney was founded on quality--cartoons with a solid story, engaging characters, and a good sense of humor, all brought to life by skilled animators and directed towards audiences of all ages, not just children. DisneyToon Studios hasn't produced many movies above "meh" quality, and certainly not any products that are directed at the plus ten crowd--they are a production house that specializes in television animation and, nowadays, direct-to-video fare aimed purely at kids (Planes originally was another addition to this line of direct-to-DVD sequels and spin-offs). Lindsay Ellis, (The Nostalgia Chick from That Guy with the Glasses) did a couple of videos on their infamous sequels and in the introduction to her first video, she explained what the company was and how they work. This quote sums up the main problem regarding their products and why the quality of what they produce is often so poor: "As they [the Disney sequels] were made by television people with television assets and television budgets, they look like TV shows, they are paced like TV shows, they have the stakes of a TV episode... movies work differently from television, they have a different tension, a different look, the stakes are... stake-ier." To little surprise, a quick look on IMDB shows that Planes director Klay Hall's filmography consists mainly of a background in television animation (along with being director of Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure). Similarly, Planes writer Jeffery M. Howard's only credits are writer titles for several Tinker Bell movies (Tinker Bell, Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue, Pixie Hallow Games), which is probably indicative of the quality that we can expect from Planes. Though Lasseter is serving as the film's executive producer, as pointed out by Mr. Wiggins, Lasseter also served as a producer for the Tinker Belle movies and couldn't save their quality, so there's no solid evidence to believe that Planes will be any different.

On a slightly different note, though I was originally expecting this to do okay at the box office despite the anticipated rotten ratings (simply because of the monster of a franchise that the Cars movies have been), I'm actually starting to wonder if I over-estimated the audience that Disney has for this release. There's already been three big candy-colored summer animated films to hit theaters in just the past several weeks--two of which share the same main underdog story line as Planes (Monsters University and Turbo) and two of which are also sequels (Despicable Me 2 and Monsters University) but are follow-ups to films which are generally regarded as superior to Cars (and certainly Cars 2). I wonder if parents are really going to bring kids to this unless they are die-hard fans of the Cars series. Should be interesting to see what happens.
    Last edited by gatheringrosebuds; 08-07-2013 at 05:39 PM.

• Singing Drinker

Re: Disney Must Expect Planes To Be High Flying Hit: Sequel Release Date Is Already O

Early reviews I'm seeing are... let's put it in the best possible light and say "unkind".

The critical dogpile from Cars 2 looks like it's happening again. I'm not sure how much is blood in the water and how much is actual quality lacking in the film, but Planes is not any getting love in the press as far as I can find.

*edit*
    Speaking of "Turbo", one of the snarkier reviews essentially summed "Planes" up with "Plucky underdog known for not being speedy develops a need for speed - quick, which soon to be out of the theaters movie am I talking about?"
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Reviews are looking really bad... most calling it nothing more than a Toy Commercial.

22% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes... haven't seen any box office numbers yet though.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pinkertonfloyd View Post
    Reviews are looking really bad... most calling it nothing more than a Toy Commercial.

22% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes... haven't seen any box office numbers yet though.
    Not surprising. As usual with these Disney Consumer Products-led marketing strategies, "toy commercial" was its genesis and intent -- a low budget, quickly-produced toy commercial masquerading as a Disney movie.

This corporation really doesn't care what it shovels into theaters or dumps in its theme parks, as long as the kiddies buy the toys.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Workin to live,lovin life

23% on RT, and 22 million? I don't think this is a success.

I watched the movie for free on Saturday evening and while the movie was cute, the storyline, laughs, and quality animation were nothing to write home about. Generic storyline, one or two laughs, and pretty bad quality visuals for 2013. Didn't care for any of the characters as they were all poorly written stereotypes and the moral of the movie is pretty bad... *SPOILER ALERT*

Rather than being yourself, get tons of "plastic surgery" to win.

I agreed with what I've heard when I connected it with what I saw. Yes, I will admit that I find the Cars' designs cute at times and that sort of transitioned onto here, but I didn't like the movie. I didn't hate it with a passion, but it just wasn't able to hold my attention at all. If it was a straight to DVD release, I'd be okay with it, but for me, this just doesn't warrant a theatrical release. The film had its own head in the clouds longer than the planes themselves.

And it's sad too...seeing that "Toy Commercial" movies and other franchises can, and HAVE been done absolutely well, but most movies, like this, don't go beyond what its main purpose was; to sell toys.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

Planes beeing a toy commercial doesn't surprise me, acually I'm pretty sure Cars2 was also that and a way to push Carsland also.

If you think of all Pixar franchises Toy Story is the one who sells the most merchendise even if it was premiered in 1995, they still sell a lot of toys and haven't stopped since and the new incoming little kids still want them

After Toy Story, Cars still sells a lot of toys and merchendise to kids since it's premier and haven't stopped also, unlike the others like Bugs life, even new Nemo toys are hard to see now

Cars 2 most lickely was needed for something to make more merchendise, mostly after Wall-E and Up, who have very limited characters and public to sell their merchendise.

As I didn't saw too many toys or t-shirts of those two (and for Up I haven't seen any in person) , if you think well in Wall-E there was only two characthers the kids would want as a toy and for Up is even more drastic.

I don't think any little kid would want a plush of Wall-E cockroach, the evil steering wheel wit no playability for a small child, and as for Up I haven't seen a kid who wants a plush or a T-shirt of Carl or Muntz
    Last edited by Sapphire-Light; 08-15-2013 at 05:31 PM.

There were plush versions of Dug, two of Muntz's dogs (the doberman, the rottweiler, and the bulldog), Kevin the bird, and Kevin's babies. I remember seeing an eBay listing for a highly detailed figure of Russel from Japan. I did come across a curious plush of a doll that did look like Carl, but it was not marked Disney/Pixar on the tags. I no longer have that particular plush.
    Wall-E toys focused more on what was more marketable: the robots. Even if the cockroach had been approached as something to manufacture, it would have been quickly nixed by Pixar's Marketing and Consumer Products divisions.
    Speaking of those two departments, I can imagine there were some anxious people in the first meeting about creating products based on the upcoming The Good Dinosaur. (T-Rex's are not major players in the film? Are you insane? It's not a marketable film unless you have T-Rex's)

• Under that tree again!

When I saw it, I think with a small amount of script work and about 10 minutes of film it could of been developed into a great movie.

The problem is I'm far from a movie critic, and noticed this. Is Disney going to put this extra work into the sequel. It could turn into and excellent movie, which Planes could of been. The first Toy Story made a pittance compared to the sequels.

One problem I heard is the theaters had mostly little kids watching, which isn't a huge audience. But that is who I would recommend the movie for. I would tell anyone and everyone to see Cars, or Finding Nemo but not Planes.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Saw it last night and while it was nothing ground breaking, it still was a fun time at the movies. The visuals alone on the big screen made it worth while.

• Under that tree again!

The movie is in the black, and I've seen kids with merchandise. $$$
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Iron-Clad Allie

QUOTE=swampymarsh;1057012337]When I saw it, I think with a small amount of script work and about 10 minutes of film it could of been developed into a great movie.

The problem is I'm far from a movie critic, and noticed this. Is Disney going to put this extra work into the sequel. It could turn into and excellent movie, which Planes could of been. The first Toy Story made a pittance compared to the sequels.

One problem I heard is the theaters had mostly little kids watching, which isn't a huge audience. But that is who I would recommend the movie for. I would tell anyone and everyone to see Cars, or Finding Nemo but not Planes.[/QUOTE]

Keeping in mind that the original Cars film was much more successful than the sequel that followed. perhaps the popularity of the first Planes sequel will be much more popular than the original. You could be hitting the nail on its head, swampumarsh. in your contention that more attention to a quality script will bring about far better box office results.

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    Saw it last night and while it was nothing ground breaking, it still was a fun time at the movies. The visuals alone on the big screen made it worth while.
    I'm ashamed of myself for allowing busy work to get in the way of my seeing the film yet. I even have I free ticket that I earned thru theater credits. I'm going to go tomorrow! Can't wait to see those visuals you lauded Meville!

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    The movie is in the black, and I've seen kids with merchandise. $$$
    This is definitely a good thing!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12