Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

The Little Mermaid in Theaters with Second Screen - WORST IDEA EVER

I can't believe there is a market for this thing. We've gone to the movies maybe 5 times all year and I can see it being less if this becomes a thing.

Interesting that comments are disabled for the video, my guess is I'm not alone in thinking this is a bad idea?

• Singing Drinker

Re: The Little Mermaid in Theaters with Second Screen - WORST IDEA EVER

*picks jaw up off floor*

What the...

*watches again, looks for signs of joke*

You can't be...

*starts crying*

"Hey, lets' take THE SINGLE MOST IRRITATING THING that modern technology has done to movies in the past century AND MAKE IT THE FOCUS OF THE EXPERIENCE."

I *already* hate the fact that a large percentage of modern humanity can't process an experience real-time unless they're watching it on their phone or tablet. This encourages and enshrines it as a part of the experience.

Hell no. No. A thousand times no. This really is something that will keep me out of Disney movies - I already refuse to go to "prime time" showings due to the massive volume of idiots texting and taking pictures on their bright little phone screens all the damned movie long.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Senior Minion

Another brilliant product from marketing idiots who know their idiot market.

The genius of this marketing scheme is that it's self-confirming: they can easily count the number of patrons who use it, and count up the money they make with it.

The longterm downside -- the potential theater patrons who say "screw this" -- won't be counted, because they simply won't go to those theaters.

Voila -- instant customer approval.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 09-12-2013 at 11:10 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• -

Just what I need to do. Go to the movie theater just so I can watch the movie on the iPad of the idiot in front of me. If I wanted to do that, I would go to Disneyland and watch the fireworks or World of Color. It's the same experience but at least I would get a day at Disneyland to go with it.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Singing Drinker

Is it bad to hope for the natural ADD of children given a high-tech device loaded with their favorite apps and games to take over?

I can't imagine that this will result in anything other than two hundred separate Candy Crush and other games running at full volume when the movie slows down and the kids do what they naturally would do when bored.

With any luck attendance will crater and this will join Smell-O-Vision in bad promotional ideas.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    With any luck attendance will crater and this will join Smell-O-Vision in bad promotional ideas.
    One would hope. But I betcha Disney Dollars to doughnuts that it's a monster. It's a win-win-win for everyone in the Disney branded lifestyle consumer food chain: Disney gets to make megabucks by synergizing branded product to a hotly desirable demographic; theater exhibitors, hard pressed for profits, get to attract the same hot demographic; and the kids themselves get to turn theater auditoriums into electronic Pleasure Islands.

As for the kiddies whose Mommies & Daddies haven't gifted them with personal e-devices, who cares? They're not in a demographic that matters to Disney's lust for Relevance, so screw 'em.

All in all, another good reason for consumers to seriously reconsider giving this corporation another dime.

- Neil Gabler

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Interesting that comments are disabled for the video, my guess is I'm not alone in thinking this is a bad idea?
    Also interesting is that they did not disable ratings. 1,147 dislikes compared to a mere 147 likes as of this evening. Seems like the above posts are reflective of the general consensus--that being that this is a really bad idea.

• -

Here's to hoping they don't release Episode VII in Second Screen format.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Here's to hoping they don't release Episode VII in Second Screen format.
    They'll save that for FourthScreen - one at the front, one on your iPad, one on your iPhone, and one in the corner of someone else's iPhone so you can watch over their shoulders too

• Heavy Breather

You know where my phone is while watching a movie in theaters? In my pocket, on silent!! I wish we could just have the film re-released in 3D.

• Senior Minion

Disney's slackin' off if they don't find a way to make money by subscription-netcasting the whole sorry mess with Google Glass to kiddies at home.

Kinda gives whole new meaning to "Multi User Dungeon," don't you think?

- Neil Gabler

Wow that's nasty.

So now people are going to pay a most lickely double or triple priced ticket in cinema to glue your face in your tablet? and NOT watching the movie you paid for?

I really hate the lights from this devices blinding you while you are trying to watch the movie.

I can image this conversation:

Kid: auntie! I went to see the mermaid movie yesterday, it was a lot of fun

Aunt: really? that's awesome I watched that movie at the cinema when I was your age , I really enjoyed, my favorite part is the "under the sea song", I also collected the Ariel dolls

Kid: there were songs in the movie?

Aunt: yes they were, the song I'm telling you was by Sebastian

Kid: Sebat what?

Aunt: Sebastian the crab!! do you remember the crab?? (didn't she just tell me she watched the movie?)

Kid: ah yes, the crab that was in the bubble blitz type game, I scored XXXX points more than the kid next to me, you shoul have seen his face when I won to him

Aunt: .....................

I think you guys are over reacting. I saw TLM at the El Capitan this past weekend and used the second screen. I'll have a review of the experience up soon but it really wasn't that intrusive at all. Keep the brightness down and let it sit in your lap and it was almost like a bar game.
    10 year AP holder for Disneyland and finally just upgraded to the Premium pass!

Disney Infinity Power Discs for sale/trade.

Started the blog Disney Geekery. Hope you all check it out

10 year AP holder for Disneyland and finally just upgraded to the Premium pass!

Disney Infinity Power Discs for sale/trade.

Started the blog Disney Geekery. Hope you all check it out

• Minion

You go into a movie to watch a movie, not play little mini games on your ipads along the way. It's good to know that the majority of the viewers do not like this idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast