View Poll Results: How do you rate "Frozen"?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars: An instant Disney classic!

31 54.39%
  • 4 Stars: An enjoyable spectacle!

13 22.81%
  • 3 Stars: Worth a watch

8 14.04%
  • 2 Stars: Put it in the freezer for a while.

5 8.77%
  • 1 Star: Let it go.

0 0%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Cali <3, But You'll find me in Agrabah sometimes

Re: Frozen Reviews and Thoughts

Okay so...Frozen...I was speechless at this movie. I was speechless for completely different reasons than other people's. A BIT OF SPOILERS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. Also, I over-analyze things so if you feel like I'm being too harsh about something, I apologize in advance. I don't hate this movie. Okay let's start here. The word that I said when it ended was..."...What???" There are some plot holes and flaws that need to be fixed so let's get on with it. First I'd like to get out of the way what everyone loves about this movie: The visuals are stunning. Okay? They're GREAT, moving on. In the beginning scene Elsa and Anna are shown as kids and they play and yadda yadda. During the scene with the trolls (oh God, we'll get to these little buggers later), I wondered, "How did Else get her powers and how the hell do these trolls know about it?" Did the trolls give her the power? Was she cursed? Did something happen while her mom was pregnant with like in Tangled? Oh well, it's never explained. Now throughout the song "Do you wanna build a snowman?" the two grow up and GUESS WHAT, THE PARENTS DIE. YEAH, I BET YOU DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING FROM A DISNEY MOVIE. Anyway, when Elsa first said that she couldn't control her powers, why couldn't she? We saw that when she was little she could kind of control it. When Anna was running down the stairs with her as kids, we see her being cautious and obviously feeling something and nothing happens. All of a sudden in her teenage years she can't control it. What, does her powers go through puberty too? And again, I'mwondering what the significance was about the trolls. How did they know so much? After only a few minutes, there's another song. Okay...This song was the one stuck in my head for days. I heard it before I saw the movie and it was catchy. But I can't stand lines like "Don't know if I'm elated or gassy" and "I want to stuff some chocolate in my face". It's not very Disney-like. Okay well, I know they're trying to make the songs funny and enjoyable but they were saying the music in this film was better than the Lion King. I've never heard a Disney song that has a line about being gassy. Well, except for that one song that I despise so much (*cough* Hakuna Matata *cough* But that song sucked anyway PLEASE DON'T HATE). And with the chocolate line. You don't see Belle saying that she wants to stuff her face with the food all the Beast's servants made her. I was actually expecting something like that from Rapunzel. But no, even Rapunzel never did anything like that. Now, through these songs and scenes, we're learning what kind of character Anna is. She is a goofball like Rapunzel. And she gets a bit annoying and comes off a bit dumb. Like did the trolls take away some of her brain cells when they took away her memory? Whatever. But, there is likability in her character. She gets tough at times and doesn't follow the "wanting more" princess story. It's nice to see that since freaking SLEEPING BEAUTY. And then we meet Hans. This guy becomes Anna's "love interest". But I found him uninteresting and forgettable. Oh, did I mention he sings a song with Anna only a few minutes after the last one? -___- Next! One thing I like about the coronation scene is that the animation was so good, you could see and feel her handles trembling as she reached for the golden ball and rod. The Duke, is a weirdo. What the hell is this guy even doing giving orders to Elsa and Anna? They're the rulers not him. They could just blast him and the problem will be solved. So Elsa runs away once everyone sees her and she SINGS ANOTHER SONG. *sigh* I'm not gonna lie though, this song is the best song in the movie. It deserves an award, and it better get that award. Okay so we know she can build stuff of snow, cool. She builds a whole castle and it looks great. But then she builds a dress. ...What??? How? I didn't know she could make cloth. Instead of stopping the Winter she could've just made cool looking sweaters for everybody. But oh my gosh when she lets her hair go, she looks hot. One of the hottest Disney Princesses instantly. I'd put her at #4. Okay NOW I'm gonna talk about Kristoff and Sven. Sven reminds me of Maximus. But he is a hair length less funny, but has more of a purpose. So that's balanced there. Kristoff is a complete utter weirdo, but I like him. He's no Flynn Rider, he's no Aladdin or Prince Charming, so that makes him unique. Heck I don't even think he got married to Anna so he's not a Disney Prince. Alright so Anna asks him to take her up to where Elsa is, and they talk about Hans. Anna is talking about how she loved Hans and so Kristoff asks some questions. Okay so we get to the part that I absolutely DREADED ever since I saw the trailer. Our characters meet Olaf. Surprisingly, I didn't find this character annoying as I thought he would be...until he began to pop up when he wasn't needed. I don't even know what the significance of his song was. So Anna tries to talk to Elsa, Elsa strikes her with magic causing some sort of curse on Anna. Kristoff takes Anna to see the trolls because of a really complicated beginning of the movie. The trolls then sing the worst song of the movie. There's even a line about how Kristoff pees. ...WHAT??? How could this song be as good as "The Lion King" as they were saying? So grandpa troll says that in order the thing that will heal Anna is, say it with me now, true love. Automatically, you know what's gonna happen. Because the minute they conclude this, they're like "We have to get to Hans." It reminded me of Enchanted where Giselle loves Prince Edward, she's sent to New York, spends time with Robert, Prince Edward comes to get her, and they find out her true love is really Robert. Yeah it's predictable what happens next. Or...is it? There was a twist that Hans was the "mastermind" villain. I thought he was gonna kiss her and be like "Oh it's not working, you kiss her Kristoff." just like in Enchanted but no, he locks her in a room and goes off to kill Elsa. I didn't expect that. But the way they built Hans up was as a good guy. Too much good guy. I know that it is a twist but...that just makes him a weak villain. A bunch of stuff happens at this point, Elsa escapes and tries to run, Kristoff comes back for Anna, Olaf tries to bring Anna to Kristoff with her remaining strength, and yeah, there's a blizzard created by Elsa's fear. So Hans lies to Elsa saying that Anna is dead and I'm not gonna go into details because it gets a bit complicated. Basically Anna is faced with a choice and she chooses Elsa and becomes a Frozen statue, saving Elsa from being beheaded. Then everybody is sad, Elsa hugs her, and she unfreezes. .....................-___- I'm not even gonna say it. It gets really sappy and confusing at the end saying that the true love that will set her free is from Elsa. And Elsa finds out to control her powers, she needed love. ..........................WHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? !?!?! DID SHE NOT LOVE HER SISTER BEFORE? WE CLEARLY SEE THAT SHE LOVED HER WHEN THEY WERE KIDS, AND SHE ONLY HID HERSELF TO PROTECT HER SISTER OUT OF LOVE. WHAT, DID SHE SHUT HER OUT BECAUSE HERE HAIR IS TOO COOL FOR ANNA'S? WHAT?!?!?! So the ending is, Elsa is queen, Arendelle is okay again, and did I mention Elsa can make ice skates too? Oh yeah, she can make leather which is so useful but they don't do anything about it. Okay so that's Frozen. I bashed this movie in this review. Does it mean that I hate it? ...No. I'd being lying if I said I didn't hate some ASPECTS but overall it's a good flick. It's very different form traditional Disney Princess movies, I can tell you that. But here's a flaw that I thought about when they solved the problem: The whole "True Love" aspect. This movie is bringing us something new and yes, kutos to you movie. In fact, at some points, I would forget these two were princesses because they didn't hold the "pretty pretty princess" qualities Princess Aurora or Cinderella had. And that's okay, but then with the true love thing and them being princesses...When Anna makes the choice of saving her sister or getting a kiss from Kristoff, she ditched the kiss and as a result, froze. Then they say the true love that she needed was from Elsa, but...didn't she already love her before? So that's confusing. Elsa already loved her, what more did she need to do to show that? She shut out everything from her life, and you've got to really love someone to do that. So that's my take on it. Overall, the movie is good, the comedy is half and half(half okay and the other half is ugh), visuals are awesome, characters are cool (except for the annoying ones *cough* trolls *cough*), villain is forgettable(I even debate in my mind who or what the villain really is), and there's only two songs that I remember. Guys, this is not better than Disney's classics, but it's still a good movie. In all, Frozen scores 8/10.
    Last edited by GagarianPrincess; 12-18-2013 at 05:43 PM. Reason: font not readable
    Princess Jasmine's trainee

• Minion

I don't want to be overly critical as it must have took you ages to type all that, but its hard to read without paragraph spacing. Only trying to help, not being mean or nothing.

A few quick observations..

The King confirmed to the Troll that she was born with her powers.
    Tarzan's parents also meet their demise.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Warm Hugging Anna

Right they said Elsa was born with her powers and when Grandpa Troll was making Anna better he leave a little bit of fun in her membery [ms]. I do believe this movie was alot better then the Lion king send I didn't like the Lion King. I also love the twist in the movie. As to why we didn't see the true love from Elsa until the end was Elsa was so scare of her powers she lost the power of love until she saw that Anna scarfit herself to safe Elsa then Elsa relise that Anna did love her that much.
    Last edited by Capt Hook; 12-19-2013 at 07:18 PM. Reason: fix my mispell word.

• Minion

I believe that Prince Hans was intentionally made forgettable..

Spoiler
    they certainly didn't want to show their hand too early on that character. We are led to believe that Elsa is somehow the villain, albeit a misunderstood one, we then don't see/expect that Hans is such a nasty piece of work.

I personally wouldn't say that Frozen is better than The Lion King. Even with its two cultural anachronisms (Lion Sleeps Tonight and the Hula drag act) its still a well rounded film.
    And then likewise, Frozen has some issues; the overly poppy music being the main one, but that doesn't detract from it being a good film.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

A couple of assorted takes on above comments.

"Sven reminds me of Maximus"
    Honestly, you can make the case that just about every disney horse has the same personality. At the very least, Scen is similar to Maximus who is very similar to Pegasus of Hercules.

"something about the movie having too much slang"
    I agree. A good Disney movie is timeless. Movies set in current eras are outdated once the era leaves. I enjoy Oliver and Company a lot, but I can totally understand why people who don't have a love of 1985-2001 NYC view the movie very differently. It's not something I can show to my eventual children like I was shown Pinocchio and Lady and the Tramp.

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    I don't want to be overly critical as it must have took you ages to type all that, but its hard to read without paragraph spacing. Only trying to help, not being mean or nothing.

A few quick observations..

The King confirmed to the Troll that she was born with her powers.
    Tarzan's parents also meet their demise.
    Thanks, I shall keep that in mind next time. And I must've missed that. whoops.

I don't really like the Lion King either :P and how you explained makes more sense.

I just have to say this, I love you all are so nice with your opinions. Other people jump at others just because they didn't agree on something.

Thoughts:

Idina's singing voice is just too darn identifiable. Which is great for her, however, it just didn't match Elsa. For some reason whenever I hear Idina, I immediately have a brunette in my mind. I just couldn't get board with her being taller, wingless Periwinkle.

The songs were so short and forgettable. That troll song? Really? And Olaf's Summer song. Hard pass!

Olaf. Ugh. I wish summer would have come the moment he stepped on screen. His lines weren't funny, he didn't relieve any tension of the serious moments. If nothing else, he simply irritated me by ruining the tiny bits of potential intensity that this movie had.

On the other hand, the animation was stunning. Also, Sven was adorable (even if he was just another dog/horse animated hybrid in the form of a reindeer). Let It Go as a song that Idina sings is fantastic... but again I don't feel the animated form matched the voice. YMMV.

• Warm Hugging Anna

I think Idina as Elsa was great I didn't see anything wrong with her. Maybe because I never hear of her until I saw Frozen same with Bell never hear of her. I didn't think Olaf wasn't bad he had some good points in the move. As for the songs yes I do love Let It Go but now I'm starting to like For The First Time Is Forever both parts. The one part I really didn't care for that mush was when Kristoff was taking Anna to the Trolls. They where starting to bug me with there singing when Anna was in trouble and wouldn't listen to Kristoff. That was about the only thing that bug me.

• Goofy

did not liked and this movie is overhyped. the talking snowball kept me pretty much entertain. cgi used to be special now there is too much of that.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

The first problem with Frozen is definitely the songs. They're not classical so they're never at the pinnacle of what they could truly be. Only "For the First Time in Forever" feels truly like a Disney Ballad in that sense. The other songs, while fun, just don't feel like they belong in the same movie, and that really is a problem with having song writers who aren't utilizing the person writing the score.

The piano is a great instrument but the way the songwriters use it, it just feels cheap. And the lyrics aren't spectacular, but they're aim is making Anna awkward so I'll let that slide. It's still just kind of low-brow though in how they did it.

While on the topic of lyrics, why is every song about a door?

"The window is open, so's that door! I didn't know they did that anymore!"

"Love is an open door"

"Let it go, Let it go, turn away and slam the door!"

"Please don't shut me out again, please don't slam the door"

There's gotta be other ways to convey the same thing.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    The first problem with Frozen is definitely the songs. They're not classical so they're never at the pinnacle of what they could truly be. Only "For the First Time in Forever" feels truly like a Disney Ballad in that sense. The other songs, while fun, just don't feel like they belong in the same movie, and that really is a problem with having song writers who aren't utilizing the person writing the score.

The piano is a great instrument but the way the songwriters use it, it just feels cheap. And the lyrics aren't spectacular, but they're aim is making Anna awkward so I'll let that slide. It's still just kind of low-brow though in how they did it.

While on the topic of lyrics, why is every song about a door?

"The window is open, so's that door! I didn't know they did that anymore!"

"Love is an open door"

"Let it go, Let it go, turn away and slam the door!"

"Please don't shut me out again, please don't slam the door"

There's gotta be other ways to convey the same thing.
    I actually loved the songs in this movie. My favorite was "For the First Time in Forever." As for "door" being repeated in the songs, perhaps both Anna and Elsa use that metaphor the most because they have lived most of their lives behind a closed door. When it comes to isolation from the world, the door would probably be the first object that comes to mind, for it was very prominent object, both literally and figuratively, separating them from the outside world.

• Heavy Breather

Some people are comparing this film to Tangled. While I love Tangled, Frozen is leaps and bounds better than Tangled. Frozen has a more Broadway feel to the music than Tangled did, and the songs were more memorable and powerful than Tangled.

Now don't go off on me saying I hate Tangled, I don't. In fact, I love it. Along with P&tF it helped usher in the new Renaissance of Disney animation we are experiencing now.

PIXAR for the longest time dominated the animation field, even Dreamworks has produced classics of their own. Finally Disney is getting back into their groove that was there in the 90's and Walt's time. All of their films from Meet the Robinsons onward to Frozen I have loved. Not all of them are musicals, but it all comes down to the story and whether or not it was engaging.

Not only the story, but the characters, and the environments as well. The writers of these new films know their art form and apply it to these films. Writing engaging characters that audiences will love all the while the production designers and animators bring these environments and characters to life. That in an essence is what make an animated film a classic.

The team working on it must feel passionate towards the project, they take risks, they work hard, all for a similar purpose. To entertain...

I have no idea where this tangent came from, but I have spoken my piece, and I shall take my leave.

Good day, and Merry Christmas.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by GagarianPrincess View Post
    DID SHE NOT LOVE HER SISTER BEFORE? WE CLEARLY SEE THAT SHE LOVED HER WHEN THEY WERE KIDS, AND SHE ONLY HID HERSELF TO PROTECT HER SISTER OUT OF LOVE.
    Well, the same argument could then be applied to Kristoff, couldn't it? If he already loved her, wouldn't she have been saved right then and there? Of course, they had just met...he cared about her for sure, but true love? They may have been on the way there, but who knows if they were really at that point yet.

The point is that true love's kiss is an act. An act of true love is what could save Anna, hence why Elsa's hug - something that Elsa had wanted to do for 15-20 years and had been unable to do (in fact, I'm certain that since the accident Elsa had since never touched her sister at all for fear of harming her). Elsa had always loved Anna, but she was never able to show it. Just like she had to conceal her powers from the rest of the world, she had to conceal her love for Anna by shutting her out to protect her.

Also, I think that her fear and losing control of her powers greatly applies here. When Elsa was at her most tumultuous, there was a crazy blizzard going. When she realizes that her sister had still been alive and that she had in her last moment come to save her, the blizzard - everything - stopped. The snow stood still in the air. Elsa forgot her fear in that moment and could only mourn for the sister that she loved and she could finally express her love by hugging her, even if she felt powerless by thinking that there was no way that she could bring her back.

In response to another post, yes, if the songs were removed it would seem like a weaker story, but that's because in musicals songs move the plot along. A song usually comes into play when a character feels so strongly about something, they can't just talk about it anymore - they have to sing it. BUT I would be lying if I said that I feel like the plot could have had more. I do feel that the film had a lot of songs in the beginning and then it just suddenly dropped off. I feel that we saw a lot more of Elsa in the beginning and then after "Let It Go'" she was gone for far too long. "Fixer Upper" made me cringe because I personally enjoyed that Kristoff didn't look or behave like the traditional Disney romantic interest, and that suddenly it became so much of an issue that a song was made about it. Yes, towards the end of the song the trolls say that we're all fixer-uppers because we all need love, but still. And yes, talking about gas and pee was...unexpected. But it did get a serious laugh from the large audience at the El Capitan theater when I saw it, and even I laughed even though I was thinking, "What the heck is this?!" The film needed a duet between Anna and Elsa at the end. The movie kind of just ended suddenly from that standpoint.

Also, I just have to say in response to people saying that Frozen didn't have a true villain and/or villain song - I must strongly disagree. I love that Disney had us all fooled through advertising and through Hans apparent demeanor that he was a good guy. If you look at the lyrics to "Love is An Open Door," however, you will see that they were dropping hints the entire time. Hans just agreed with everything Anna said or kissed up to her, just like he fooled the people of Arendelle into turning against their own queen. You have to be a serious sociopath in order to do something like that. He was such a great villain that he even had the audience fooled.

All of the main characters teach us something about love.

Elsa: We must not be afraid to love.
    Anna: Love is unconditional and is a leap of faith.
    Kristoff: Love comes in unexpected places.
    Hans: Not all loves are true.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast