View Poll Results: How do you rate "Frozen"?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars: An instant Disney classic!

31 54.39%
  • 4 Stars: An enjoyable spectacle!

13 22.81%
  • 3 Stars: Worth a watch

8 14.04%
  • 2 Stars: Put it in the freezer for a while.

5 8.77%
  • 1 Star: Let it go.

0 0%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Frozen Reviews and Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post
    This would be more like the original fairy tale, and in my view would be too straightforward for the intended themes and storytelling style of Frozen.
    In my opinion, getting it closer to the original fairy tale isn't a bad thing. Frozen strays way too far, only taking Hans Christian Andersen's concept of a queen that has ice powers.

Back to your perception of of Brave, I also didn't feel for Merida (in fact, i hated her actions) but when it came to the Mother/Daughter relationship, I think it was stronger than the sister relationship in Frozen. And much like in Brave, Frozen has a fake-out cure.

Maybe these films are just too similar underneath it all. Brave, also has no "real villain" and that annoyed me.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    In my opinion, getting it closer to the original fairy tale isn't a bad thing. Frozen strays way too far, only taking Hans Christian Andersen's concept of a queen that has ice powers.
    Well, as a character Anna essentially IS Gerda, albeit older and not able to win everybody over with her childlike innocence. Aside from having similar powers, Elsa is nothing like the Snow Queen. She is more analogous to Kai, as I'm sure I've mentioned before, except that she wasn't corrupted by evil magic like he was--only Anna's perception of Elsa was affected, and this is where the nuance I keep mentioning starts to come in. The original story is very simple in characterization and focuses much more on the road trip and Gerda's effect on the various people, good and not so good, she meets (winning them over like Rapunzel does the ruffians in the Snuggly Duckling, albeit not as tunefully ), and at the end Gerda's tears literally wash the evil magic--tiny shards of the troll-mirror--out of Kai's eyes.

Disney's version focuses a lot more on the relationship between Anna (Gerda) and Elsa (Kai), and adds much complexity to these protagonists. Now Anna has something to learn and so does Elsa, instead of having everybody around them change instead (and Kai just because of magic and Gerda's love for him). Making Elsa a villain in some other way would have made Anna a more static character, and unless it reused the angle that Beauty and the Beast took on this, it is hard to see how Elsa would be redeemed in a way that, at least for me, matches the drama and pathos we get with the movie as it is now (obviously not everybody would agree).

What the filmmakers in this case did was restructure the story so that they could essentially tell the original story of Beauty and the Beast (as opposed to Disney's version) in a satisfyingly cinematic way. Disney's Beauty and the Beast animated feature took one approach by changing certain fundamental aspects of the story (they never could crack it before this), while Frozen did it by borrowing from The Snow Queen and restructuring that story to fit analogs of the original Beauty (Anna) and Beast (Elsa).

Back to your perception of of Brave, I also didn't feel for Merida (in fact, i hated her actions)
    For me it is necessary to empathize with the characters--they are what draw me into their stories. It's not so much a matter of hating their actions normally, but in Merida's case they are so extreme (talk about a frozen heart!) that she and the movie lost me. I can still appreciate other aspects of the movie, but they carry no real "weight" for me.

but when it came to the Mother/Daughter relationship, I think it was stronger than the sister relationship in Frozen.
    Partly because of the characters (along with my views and life experiences and so forth), I feel that the sister relationship in Frozen is much stronger. Movies also start to lose my attention when they keep pointedly bringing up the theme or moral in a way that feels artificial or forced, and this is what Brave does a little too much of (not nearly as much as some other Pixar movies, though--YEESH!). Granted, Frozen mentions "true love" a bunch of times, but subjectively to my perception it seems more organic and naturally integrated rather than forced or "on the nose" (if you want an example of the latter, watch The Croods, which makes even Pixar's movies seem subtle). If I had perceived it differently, then I would not be as fond of the movie as I am (I don't like when movies feel like movies).

And much like in Brave, Frozen has a fake-out cure.
    Well, in the most general sense it is not uncommon in stories to have to try multiple times to find the right solution. What makes the "fake-out" in Frozen so special is how it relates to the theme, the dramatic fashion in which it is done, how faked out much of the audience really are, and how much of an impact it has. I didn't think that I'd see a movie that could match Tangled's fake-out in these respects so soon, but Frozen's did it. In my opinion, Brave's fake-out does not compare to either of these. So it's not the tapestry that literally needed mending...well, duh, who cares?

Maybe these films are just too similar underneath it all.
    I guess you can blame John Lasseter for that because he rejected and canceled every story pitch that was significantly different. Despite the similarities, they sure seem like rather different movies to me, and I think they would even if Merida hadn't turned me off to Brave. There are only so many basic stories to tell, and common tropes like fake-out solutions tend to run in bunches (ironically through "inspiration" ), but it's OK as long as they are used in original ways.

Brave, also has no "real villain" and that annoyed me.
    Villain or no villain makes no difference to me as long as the movie works.
    Last edited by Robert Cook; 12-30-2013 at 12:46 PM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

"works" is all dependent on the viewer. You feel it works, I feel it doesn't work enough. And I will take your advice and blame John Lasseter. He's a passionate filmmaker but sometimes I think it could be a bad thing if he takes something too far.

From reading what you wrote about some of the original story ideas, I like that much better and at least personally, a movie I'd prefer to see.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Just this guy......

Just saw Disney's Frozen. Really good movie. They did a great job and while they played with the cliches they did not fall into them. They surprised me once or twice.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: My sisters and I finally got around to conjuring this movie up inside our crystal ball and, for the most part, enjoyed it very much. It was mostly the mediocre songs that disappointed us, though.

ORWEN: We never liked any of the songs this particular song writing team ever wrote, to be honest. The Finding Nemo Stage Show at Animal Kingdom has songs that are just terrible. The songs in FROZEN are very forgettable and don't begin to compare with any of the much better songs you hear in other Disney movies.

ORDDU: Also we were bothered by the fact that there was a bit too much modern slang used in the film.

ORWEN: When we watch a fairy tale we expect to be taken to that land far, far away and don't want to be reminded of modern people who remind us of friends, family, co-workers, neighbors, etc. We want to see fairy tale characters with a mind set that convinces us they know nothing of this modern world. Unfortunately the characters in FROZEN come across like every-day people who just happen to be wearing period clothing and are moving about in a period setting that isn't their true home.

ORDDU: So we only gave this movie a 3. It is certainly enjoyable and exciting--but just doesn't quite take us far enough away from reality to make it a true immortal like, say, Snow White or Sleeping Beauty do.
    Finally saw Frozen and enjoyed it very much! I reflect you sisters' sentiment regarding the mediocre liturgy of songs. The only song that didn't fall half-way to fully flat is Olaf's In Summer. Josh Gad played Olaf brilliantly. He, ella's icy powers and the snow monster were the only elements that saved the movie from becoming an absolute "As The Stomach Turns" type of soap opera.

"For the First Time In Forever" had a few clever and nice lyrics, but the monotone melody and the typical American Idol type vocal perfomance drug the song down. "Do You Want To Build A Snowman" sounded just like "First Time" and drug on "Forecer". It was quite nausiating.

"Love Is An Open Door" was a great tune! If only it wasn't significantly by the return of a mediocre American Idol sonund-alike vocal.... hmmmf! The other songs I don't even remember.

What I do remember is how cool the troll family looked when they appeared as rocks at first. Once they opened up and revealed their cardboard personalities, I lost my popcorn. I also remember how charming and entertaining Hans was, and there wasn't even a suttle hint that he was villianous. The writers should have clued the audience in to at least a small degree, rather than suddenly reveal his twisted character half-way thru the film.

Kristoff's warning to Anna about him made Kristoiff the only consitantly intelligent character in the cast, besides Olaf, and Olaf's carrot nose "wanna crunch" reigndeer friend.

Overall, the film was original and entertaing, but could have been much better.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Queen Elsa

I happen to love this movie I love all the songs in the movie. The songs I injoy the most is Let It Go & For The First Time in Forever the reprice verison. Those two songs gave me chills all over my body. This is the first time ever that I have seen a movie more then 1 time in theaters. I want to see it again for a third time before it leaves the theaters. Queen Elsa is my new favorite character beatting out Belle in my top 3 favorite Disney Characters. The story was real down there was not one character other then the trolls that I didn't like. The only part I didn't like about the trolls was when Kristoff was trying to save a dieing Anna and all they could do is sing to make Anna's problem wrost. It is so funny that you guys don't like this movie yet it is still going stong at the theaters. It hasn't even been out of the top 3 in theaters send it came out on Nov.27th. Like love this movie alot more then I did with Lion King in fact I didn't even like Lion King. This movie has become my number 1 favorite movie out of all Disney movies. Which was before Sleeping Beauty when now has become my number 2. My top 5 favorite Disney movies are...

1. Frozen
    2. Sleeping Beauty
    3. Little Mermaid
    4. Brother Bear
    5. Monsters Inc.

Hans Christian Andersen
    Hans Kristoff Anna Sven

Anyway, the movie is amazing and so is the music! The movie's soundtrack is even #1 on US iTunes with 2 versions of "Let it Go" both by Idina Menzel in the top 50. One version at #21 and the other at #46. Also the song, "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" at #40. A few other songs (For the First Time in Forever and In Summer) both trailing right behind it. All of this is a first for a Disney Animated film.

Cali <3, But You'll find me in Agrabah sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post
    Hans Christian Andersen
    Hans Kristoff Anna Sven
    XD Lol
    Princess Jasmine's trainee

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post
    Hans Christian Andersen
    Hans Kristoff Anna Sven