• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Hanks portrays Walt with Southern Accent? What the heck?

Saw a movie over the Thanksgiving Weekend, and one of the previews in the theater was for "Saving Mr. Banks"

I had qualms about about Tom Hanks portraying Walt Disney, when first hearing he was going to do that, BUT never in my wildest nightmare did I think Tom would attempt to do Walt with a Southern Accent. Tom's higher pitched voice doesn't work portraying Walt, either. It's unfortunate the he just was not capable of pulling off Walt.

Tom may be good at portraying some fictional characters, BUT when it comes to portraying Real people, Tom should just stay away from that.

• Heavy Breather

Re: Hanks portrays Walt with Southern Accent? What the heck?

Maybe when the film comes out his performance will sway you otherwise, but yeah, hearing Tom try the Forrest voice on Walt is a tad unnerving.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I don't hear it but maybe I've just been living in the South too long.

Well, I could see it. Missouri is close enough to the South to have picked up some of the sound.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Tom Hank's voice simply sounds nothing like Walt's, in terms of tone, Gump-like accent and genuine warmth. In the commercial. he appears to be overreaching to mimmick Mr.Disney while falling far short. Plus, he is playing far too many seriousl characters these days for a man that rose up as a savvy comedian. Loved Forrest, don't care much for this stuffy "doppelganger".
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 12-02-2013 at 04:41 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Minion

The lines shown in the trailers does show Hanks's Walt with a Southern-esque accent. For most of the film, he does sound spot on. In fact, he has his mannerisms down and, for the most part, the voice.

Don't pass judgement too quickly. It's a fantastic film and Hanks does a great job. Don't judge an actors performance based solely on the trailers.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    The lines shown in the trailers does show Hanks's Walt with a Southern-esque accent. For most of the film, he does sound spot on. In fact, he has his mannerisms down and, for the most part, the voice.

Don't pass judgement too quickly. It's a fantastic film and Hanks does a great job. Don't judge an actors performance based solely on the trailers.
    My thoughts exactly. Also people need to realize that seldom do Hollywood films do EXACT replications. For example, when you watch a movie that is supposed to take place in France with French people, most of them have British accents. For heavens sake it isn't Walt in the movie, its someone playing him and putting his interpenetration of the man. The movie was awesome.
    Jeff Wayne

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post

I was already disinclined to see the film, after finding out that the storyline isn't portraying the Sherman Brothers accurately in this film, nor giving them the credit they deserve.

This was very risky move for the Disney company to approve doing a film like this in the first place, especially knowing how well known Walt was with all his television performances, and knowing no one actor would be able to capture Walt. The other thing I've heard mention, is the lack of seeing "Walt" smoking in this movie.

Now, I MIGHT have had an entirely different opinion of this movie, IF while preparing to film in DL, they would have reconstructed the old entrance to Tomorrowland, and removed that awful looking astro - orbitor and the lousy lion king rock!