Saving Mr Banks - Anyone Else Notice An Error?

First let me say this......

If there was anyone that I would ever want to see playing the legendary Walt Disney, is my most favorite actor of all time, the priceless and beloved Forrest Gump himself, one Mr Tom Hanks. That being said, I am definitely looking forward to this film.

But has anyone else noticed the error from the film that can be viewed near the end of the trailer? (As a matter of fact, you don't even need to view the trailer. You can see it in the background of the still shot below.)

I am referring to the scene in Fantasyland where Disney takes Ms Travers on King Arthur's Carousel, and one can see "modern day" Fantasyland in the background. Meaning the one that was reconstructed in the early 80's, where as the time frame of the story in the film is taking place in the early 60's, when the Fantasyland of that era still had the "carnival fan faire" that was built from when Disneyland first opened. They didn't give the land a facelift until 1983. Anyone else have any thoughts on this? Other than it being too difficult or not cost effective to recreate the background for the scenes in the film.

And after reading more on the film, it would appear they also cornered off the Astro Orbiter during filming. Don't get me started on that!!!
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

Re: Saving Mr Banks - Anyone Else Notice An Error?

Partners is also visible in the shot down Main Street. While particularly jarring for the Disneyphiles like us, it shouldn't hurt the film to the public eye too much.

But I heard as they filmed in December, they digitally removed the snow on the castle? I wish they had done the same for Partners and used some CGI to recreate the Fantasyland facades.

That was the first thing I noticed when they showed the trailer at D23. In fact I said out loud "But that's not what Fantasyland looked like back then!"Several people around me nodded in agreement. Am I wrong in thinking that the Carousel was actually in a different place prior to 1983?
    " Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed"
    G.K Chesterson

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    First let me say this......

If there was anyone that I would ever want to see playing the legendary Walt Disney, is my most favorite actor of all time, the priceless and beloved Forrest Gump himself, one Mr Tom Hanks. That being said, I am definitely looking forward to this film.

But has anyone else noticed the error from the film that can be viewed near the end of the trailer? (As a matter of fact, you don't even need to view the trailer. You can see it in the background of the still shot below.)

I am referring to the scene in Fantasyland where Disney takes Ms Travers on King Arthur's Carousel, and one can see "modern day" Fantasyland in the background. Meaning the one that was reconstructed in the early 80's, where as the time frame of the story in the film is taking place in the early 60's, when the Fantasyland of that era still had the "carnival fan faire" that was built from when Disneyland first opened. They didn't give the land a facelift until 1983. Anyone else have any thoughts on this? Other than it being too difficult or not cost effective to recreate the background for the scenes in the film.

And after reading more on the film, it would appear they also cornered off the Astro Orbiter during filming. Don't get me started on that!!!
    It's only a small section of the movie. The movie itself was amazing and I don't think you will even notice that part when it comes to it.
    Jeff Wayne

Yeah, I'm not going to care much about it, Jeff. It was just a minor detail I noticed and thought of. It won't make me hate or dislike the movie. It's Tom Hanks as Walt Disney! I don't think there is anyone else that could play him.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Bangarang!

I noticed that it was the 'new' Fantasyland, but to me they seemed to keep the shots close so you didn't see too much of it. Plus they cleverly cut off anything beyond the turnstyles so you couldn't see the lack of a parking lot.

I guess they could have gone to the trouble of creating a CG flyover covering up what is now DCA but I don't think the piece really needed it.

The whole Disneyland sequence was lovely, you got a taste of what it was like to be in the park in the era as well as how awesome it must have been to be in the park when Walt was there.

I loved his pause at Elias' window. Nice touch.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Funny....I don't see a thread about what they got right in the film. Sign of the times, I suppose...........
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    Yeah, I'm not going to care much about it, Jeff. It was just a minor detail I noticed and thought of. It won't make me hate or dislike the movie. It's Tom Hanks as Walt Disney! I don't think there is anyone else that could play him.
    Not even Tom got Walt right.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TodAZ1 View Post
    Funny....I don't see a thread about what they got right in the film. Sign of the times, I suppose...........
    I put my review on the film and I loved it! You're going to find a lot of one sided things here at Micehcat. The Disney fan community will be more critical of the film then others. The same way that the Titanic fan community was critical when that movie came out in 1997. You can't make everyone happy. I for one enjoyed the film and I was happy a story like this could be told. From an acting point of view, I always appreciate people interpretation of a roll. Like some members here say Tom didn't get Walt right, well nobody will get Walt right but Walt Disney himself.
    Jeff Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHostJeff View Post
    I put my review on the film and I loved it! You're going to find a lot of one sided things here at Micehcat. The Disney fan community will be more critical of the film then others. The same way that the Titanic fan community was critical when that movie came out in 1997. You can't make everyone happy. I for one enjoyed the film and I was happy a story like this could be told. From an acting point of view, I always appreciate people interpretation of a roll. Like some members here say Tom didn't get Walt right, well nobody will get Walt right but Walt Disney himself.

• Nerd

Looks like a great movie!!! forget the nit-picky stuff.
    I would love to see a movie about the building of Disneyland starring Tom Hanks...A pre-quel?
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/