• Level 7 Galactic Hero

The Future of Frozen

"Disney Animation has its first bona fide smash in almost two decades, and, Iger tells Fortune, the company's plans for the franchise include a Broadway show."

Well, it was bound to happen anyways.

Disney CEO Iger: Frozen has restored our mojo - Fortune Features

Thoughts anyone?
    Stopping in the middle is
    DISTINCTLY
    UNPATRIOTIC!

Re: The Future of Frozen

Frozen is great, but Tangled has a better cast of characters.
    ~ Erik

• Heavy Breather

I think they got their mojo back with Princess and the Frog.

Frozen was wonderful, and a box office smash to boot so that was able to boost the Studios confidence.

They won me over again in 2009 and haven't disappointed me yet.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    I think they got their mojo back with Princess and the Frog.
    YES! I completely agree with you!
    I LOVE that film, I just wish it wasn't so under appreciated. I wish it had been more popular and that there was currently a bigger presence of the movie's characters in the parks, merchandise, etc

• Heavy Breather

My sentiments exactly.

My only complaint with the latest releases is that Winnie the Pooh opened the same weekend as Deathly Hallows Part 2.

I'm sure if it were released a week or two later it would have fared better financially.

So, we may not see a 2D film for a long time....

That may be true, but I really felt like Winnie the Pooh was a let down. Personally, I thought some of the newer voices for characters was way off, some of the stories were kinda weak, and it just lacked the overall heart that the original film had. I was very disappointed with it :-(

• Heavy Breather

It was a nice little nostalgia trip.
    I agree about some of the new voices.

I like Bud Lucky as Eeyore, but Tom Kenny as Rabbit I was not find of.

I love Tom Kenny, but Rabbit sounded a lot like a certain sponge who lives in a pineapple.

Liked Winnie the Pooh, liked The Princess and the Frog, LOVED Frozen. I still haven't seen Tangled yet, though one of my resolutions for the year is to catch up on Disney films.

I've always wondered why Princess and the Frog wasn't successful. Aside from one minor mistake (no biggie, just drives me nuts since I live in Louisiana), it had a fun twist to the story, the depiction of New Orleans/Louisiana was fairly accurate, and it felt like the movies I grew up watching - ie there were plenty of jokes for kids and jokes that the adults would get. And the love story was drawn out. And can I say I love the music? Plus Tiana's a great character/role model for kids. But I'm preaching to the choir here. :-p

Anyhow, I'm really excited and intrigued by the idea of Frozen becoming a fully staged musical. I'd rather they work out their differences and get the stage version of Hunchback over here first, but beggars can't be choosers.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    That may be true, but I really felt like Winnie the Pooh was a let down. Personally, I thought some of the newer voices for characters was way off, some of the stories were kinda weak, and it just lacked the overall heart that the original film had. I was very disappointed with it :-(
    There was some disconnect for me, as well, when it came to the character voices.

The originals were just so good.

• Heavy Breather

I think the reason that Princess and the Frog wasn't as successful as it should have been was because it had the word "Princess" in the title, which turned many people away.

That's why they renamed Repunzal, to Tangled. To market it to a wider audience.

I think if they called P&TF, The Frog Prince it would have fared better.

They've been good for years, but this was the smash hit to help them the revenue to match. I'm kind of disappointed, actually. The last great Disney age was led by princess fairy tales. They're getting money from princess movies. I'm concerned this will encourage disney to make nothing but princess movies

It's great news to me that the movie has done so well- I thought it was phenomenal, and it deserves the praise. A Broadway musical seems like a natural fit, too.

It's a bit odd that it's getting all this so QUICKLY, but I guess they wanted to strike while the iron was hot. Movies usually have to get some A-list stars and be a sequel to a blockbuster to make this kind of money, so it's a real feather in their cap.

I think Frozen is a more natural fit for this kind of thing than Tangled (the hair physics alone would result in more actor injuries than even Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark!). Regarding whether or not it measures up to the more recent Disney Princess movies, I think it was better than both- Princess and the Frog was okay, but only had one decent song (the Villain Song, naturally- I'm a big Keith David fan) and I didn't find it to be that funny or memorable (the sidekicks were a bit generic, too). Tangled was quite good (and the obvious predecessor for Frozen, which went out of its way to emulate the film), but falters on a few levels for me (none of the songs really stand out, and the animation just doesn't hold up that well at times).

Personally, I'm hoping for a Frozen 2- Elsa's character was magnificent in the film (and a major part of why it was so successful- Disney was actually taken aback by this, judging by the lack of Elsa merchandise in the stores compared to Anna), but it'd be very interesting to see what she'd be like AFTER her Character Arc has finished.

Also, regarding the comments about Frozen doing better because of weaker competition... it came out like a WEEK after the new Hunger Games movie did, and that was the top movie THAT YEAR. And December was absolutely PACKED with new releases- Frozen was lucky enough to have some weaker competition in terms of Family Movies, but it's triumph isn't based much on weak competition.